Texas Fishing Forum

Cooper Lake

Posted By: Poppa P

Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 01:45 AM

Me and the Family heading over for a night in a cabin and a couple days of fishing this week end. We have never even seen the Lake. My initial plan is to hunt up some trees/channels in 20-30' of water. Anybody have any favorite areas they wouldn't mind sharing for this time of year. We will be launching from the Sate Park.
Also afternoon activity ideas would be welcome
Thanks
Love this forum
Posted By: Gixxer1k

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 02:23 AM

I'll be out there as well but banking it. I have no advice from a boat but best of luck!
Posted By: clk

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 02:45 AM

The wind is going to be strong out of the north Saturday so watch were you leave your boat tied off at. As far as fishing goes fresh Shad and main lake points and humps should produce.

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 03:45 AM

Thanks, looking to start early Sunday and Monday morning. I hope the change in direction doesn't affect the fishin.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 12:25 PM

All over the dam area can be great fishing! Just find the large humps stacked with fish, drop some fresh shad (which you can get below the dam) and hold on!

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 12:45 PM

The wind changing should make it better. And if you go behind the spillway to get Shad don't let your net sink to far or you want get it back in one piece.
Posted By: Piper354

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 01:02 PM

If you are launching from the south side park be careful if the wind is blowing out of the north. That lake can get ugly in a north wind.
Posted By: slim1

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 01:32 PM

In case you don't know the lake is still 5 feet high. Doctors Creek SP camping area is closed. The other boat ramps just reopened. They are still letting water out at the dam. You throw a net in there you better hang on. Nobody has been fishing the lake only the spillway area. I drive across the dam all the time and I've seen one boat in the last couple of weeks. The water still looks like chocolate milk. Sorry for all the bad news but I thought you should know.

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/14/16 02:20 PM

Man the lake is fishing good Iam on it nearly everyday. South sulphur boat ramps never closed I was still running trips when it was 7 ft high. Muddy water does not hurt the catfish as long as the water temp stays down the fishing will be good.

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/15/16 12:49 AM

If you see a blue tritoon on Sunday wave. Good luck to you as well

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/15/16 12:52 AM

Do you have to throw for the shad way early or can a lazy man find them later in the morning?

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/15/16 12:53 AM

Thanks for all the good advise I will report back next week and let yall know how it went

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/15/16 01:16 AM

If your going after Shad in the lake its better early in the morning. Been catching mine in about 25ft of water.

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/16/16 12:47 AM

Poppa P if you can't find any bait i can help you out. I made a bait run today and now have a open schedule. I will be fishing all weekend so let me know if you need any Shad.

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/16/16 01:06 AM

Thanks clk, I will let you know. How do I get ahold of you Sunday If I need some?

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/16/16 01:23 AM

Pm sent. If anybody wants to fish Saturday or Sunday I will make a good deal since I had last minute cancelations.

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/20/16 01:39 AM

Well I got good news and bad news about our camping/fishing trip to Cooper state park.
1st the good people are great enjoyed meeting Chris (clk) and appreciate all the help he gave us this weekend. He is a stand up Guy.
The facilities at the State Park were great. I have a son in a wheel chair and when they say it's "accessible" it really is cabin and park was very friendly for someone that needs a little extra help. Weather was cool but beautiful. Mostly sunny with very little wind.

The only thing bad was that we only caught one fish after two days. My fault the advice was good. I just need to get better with my electronics. I just can't identify the fish. We still had a great time on the water. Thanks for all the help Guys we will try it again soon.
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/20/16 04:20 PM

Pm sent to help you recognize big bluecat on your fishfinder for you and your son.

Re: Cooper Lake - 01/21/16 01:20 AM

Thanks for the kind words. The fishing was tough there where a couple other boats on the lake Sunday that are very good fisherman and reported it being slow. I run all over the lake to catch a 20 and a couple around 10. If you get back to Cooper let me know and I will give you a hand if you have Hummingbird electronics.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum