Texas Fishing Forum

How to find winter cats??

Posted By: Froghunter

How to find winter cats?? - 01/04/16 12:24 AM

For me catfishing is dumb luck. I have recently spent a great deal of time on youtube learning how to find winter cats. Right now I have 3 trips and 20 hours on the water with 4 fish boated, all under 2 lbs. I have been trying to drift fish blues and have looked for channel cats as well. I'm getting tired of being a bad fisherman.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/04/16 02:12 AM

Might want to think of going out with someone to show you how they go about doing it, most guides are there not only to help put fish in the boat but are very informative in explaining how they go about doing it during each season. There are also several good fisherman here that are not guides and probably wouldn't mind taking you out on one of there trips sometime, where are you located?

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/04/16 02:26 AM

I'm in the Bryan college station area and have tried gibbons and limestone. I would be great full for any help I could get.
Posted By: slimjim

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/04/16 03:14 AM

Sent you a PM.
Posted By: Punchbait Addict

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/04/16 04:33 AM

Froghunter,
You need http://www.fishtales-guideservice.com/ and call Weldon Kirk / Fishtales Guide Service. Weldon is a quality guy and can teach you how to catch fish in all your area lakes. Not sure what his daily rate is now, but well worth the money and experience.

Weldon lines in College Station and fishes all your regional lakes.

He is an AGGIE, but we all can't be perfect.

Good luck,
Posted By: Waco Crappie

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/04/16 03:11 PM

I feel your pain. I have been fishing for cats the past 2 weeks and have only netted 4 fish. I know bait is an important factor, use fresh gizzard shad if available.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/04/16 03:17 PM

Back in the day, we caught a lot of fish on limb lines in the navasota river

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/05/16 03:37 AM

I have grown up on the navasot and can usually find fish there, it's the lakes that are giving me a hard time.
Posted By: CPR

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/06/16 02:03 PM

Checkout catfishinedge.com Chad puts out a lot of information . And get with a good guide
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/06/16 02:09 PM

I would use a jigging spoon in about 30 to 40 foot of water. I catch big cats all the time trying to jig up winter bass.

Posted By: lancer821

Re: How to find winter cats?? - 01/08/16 02:12 PM

Here's a quick article I wrote yesterday about catching winter blues in flooded conditions and unseasonably high water temps. Hope this helps a little.

http://lancesguideservice.com/fishing-tips-how-tos/blue-catfish/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum