Texas Fishing Forum

Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake

Posted By: Southtxangler22

Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/16/15 09:40 AM

Just recently started fishing canyon lake for Blues. Lake record is only 25lbs which kind of surprises me at first glance. The lake is massive and deep and plenty of bait. However it's a highly over looked catfish fishery. You hear about stripers, crappie and bass, but I have yet to see another boat cat fishing. In just the past 2 weeks I've fished it several times and learned a lot. The fish I'm catching are all in 21-25ft of water. If I'm not in those depths I won't get a bite. However the lake a few flat spots at that depth. The stretches I'm picking up fish are short but very productive when I hit them. Most of the fish so far are between 2-7lbs.. The biggest was a solid 15lb blue. Water temp is still 63, I'm assuming that's warmer than normal for this time of year but we've had 80 degree days recently. Hopefully when the water temp consistently gets below 55 degrees the bigger fish will be feeding in deeper water. Still learning and have lots to learn!
Posted By: parttime

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/16/15 12:46 PM

Your doing good, keep at it.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/16/15 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: parttime

+1
Posted By: Blue dot

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/17/15 02:04 AM

What is the easiest ramp to use at Canyon for some one by their self and has the most secure parking? Southtx are you catching bait out there or are you bringing it in with you?
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/17/15 01:13 PM

Wow. That is a nice Channel Cat methinks. Nice going.

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/17/15 03:49 PM

It use ramp 23... Very easy ramp to launch from, big parking lot, and it's free.. The boat dock holds perch, so I just catch the perch while the boat is tied off. I always have a bait with me too.. Winds have been great for drifting so when it comes to a particular spot, I really don't have one, I'm always moving. Usually only fishing for about 4-6 hours and usually get 10-15 fish and every now and then a double digit weight fish. Hoping for bigger soon lol. Hope this helps.

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/17/15 03:51 PM

The fish in the picture is a blue.. Most the fish I'm catching are Blues. The channels tend to be pretty small, with a yellow tint and little spots all over them. I typically just want to target blues anyway.
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/17/15 08:41 PM

Well, guess that's a new one on me. I've never seen a blue with such a rounded anal fin. Learn something every day.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Drifting and Learning Canyon Lake - 12/18/15 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: parttime

Also nice fish! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum