Texas Fishing Forum

Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May)

Posted By: lancer821

Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 12/11/15 07:18 PM

If interested in a trip catching prehistoric Spoonbill/Paddlefish (not endangered here in Oklahoma) or catching blue catfish give me a call/text/pm/email. Fishing is really good December thru the first week or so of May (depending on weather).
I always get asked:
How likely is it that I'll hook up with a spoonbill? Answer: I've never had a trip that we didn't get them, but I'm sure someday it will happen...hope not they sure are fun to watch people catch.

Are they good to eat? Answer: Depends on the person. Some people think they are the best fish you can eat and others don't care for them.

What are the limits? Answer: 1 per person per day except on Monday and Friday are catch and release only. You can keep 2 per year. Catch and release all you want until you keep a fish. No culling.

What license is needed? Answer: Oklahoma fishing license and the FREE Paddlefish tag

Who fishes for spoonbill/paddlefish? Answer: We have people from all over fly and drive in to fish for the prehistoric freshwater monsters!!! I've had people from Alaska, Minnesota, New York, ect. that keep coming back because they love it!

What lakes? Answer: Fort Gibson for both numbers and size, Grand Lake for size, Oologah for high numbers

Our fish range from 20-over a 100 pounds. The most consistent size class last year was in the 40's.

Blue catfishing is getting good and will only continue to get better as the water cools. Many customers want to do a combo catfish and spoonbill trip...catfishing gives their arms a rest wink
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 12/13/15 03:27 AM

Nice pics and read! Looks like a whole Lota trophies to me! Well done
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 12/13/15 10:53 PM

It sure is fun.
Johnny
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 12/14/15 02:18 PM

Ol shovel bill. the other boneless fish. Smaller one are pretty danged good eatin. Red river used to have a bunch of them. Snag fishing was the best way to catch one. Never had one bite a hook but have heard people catching on worms. No, wait, people in Texas don't snag fish. smile

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 12/14/15 05:28 PM

The blues were decent this weekend. If the weather gets a little cooler and brings the water temps down it will get really good!!!

Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 12/16/15 08:43 PM

We catch a few spoonies now & Than on Kerr too.. partyon

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 01/11/16 06:02 PM

Nice spoonie Sam!!!

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 01/12/16 05:16 PM

Them boneless shovel bill catfish about 20lbs are pretty good eatin.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 01/19/16 05:21 PM

Spoonbill Paddlefish at Grand Lake in Oklahoma
We had a wonderful morning on Grand Lake in Oklahoma snagging spoonbill paddlefish with first time guests, Greg and Ben, from Wichita, Kansas!!!

It was cool this morning, so we put the top up and started the heater this morning as we set out on our adventure. After a quick instructional on how to battle these prehistoric freshwater beasts, we took a short boat ride to our first area.

We used our Lowrance HDS 12 fish finder to scan a channel where spoonbill paddlefish spend much of their winter. We marked a few, but they were too scattered. We decided to get out the Team Catfish Extra Heavy rods and begin our long troll in the channel along its edges in search of spoonbill. It didn’t take long to drag a few lines over a couple and “roll” them, but no hook ups. We passed several other anglers trying their luck and skill at trolling the channel also. However, we didn’t see anyone else catching and our Lowrance was telling us the fish were just too scattered for a truly successful day.

Now what?!?!?! We left the area and headed to another typical area where spoonbill paddlefish spend their winters and marked a few, but they still were not grouped up. If they aren’t grouped up fairly tight at a certain depth, it proves to be very difficult to snag them. Much like a “needle in the haystack” situation. Well, if they aren’t deep in the channel, look shallow…er.

Shallower meaning less than the 40-60 ft channel we were looking in. We headed up out of the channel onto a 20-35 ft deep flat and the Lowrance started showing spoonbill paddlefish stacked in groups of 5-8 suspended just off the bottom. It was game on!!!

We circled back to get the lines into the water and troll through the fish we had just seen. As soon as we went over the fish…bam…the line was peeling out and we had a fish on!!! Ben battled this prehistoric female beast to exhaustion, himself included. It was his first spoonbill paddlefish as well as the biggest fish he’s ever caught.

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...693622921870178[/img]

After some quick pictures and high fives, it was time to get the lines back out and let Greg try for his first spoonbill paddlefish. It didn’t take long and Greg was battling a big male! We took some pictures and relived the moment. Moments like these with happy customers are what makes guiding the perfect job!

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...693622921870178[/img]

They wanted to keep their first fish, so our spoonbill paddlefish trip was over. Time to go blue catfishing !

A quick run to catch gizzard shad and we were off to where we marked some good groups of blue catfish earlier in the day. Unfortunately, after scanning for what seemed like an hour, we never did find a good group of active fish. We settled on a small school and caught a couple of blue catfish for their evening meal.

It was a great day on the water with first time guests, Greg and Ben. We look forward to future adventures. Thanks guys!

Tomorrow, we’ll be on Oologah chasing trophy blue catfish!!!

If you would like to experience catching a fish of a lifetime, call/text 918-607-7357. Also check out our Facebook page at Lance’s Guide Service.

Blue Catfish Oologah Lake
Trophy Blue Catfish hunting time on Oologah Lake in Oklahoma since our water temps are finally down and the water is getting back to normal. Cold water and normal water levels create a perfect condition for the winter feed to pick up for blue catfish on all our area lakes in Oklahoma and region.

Oologah Lake blue catfish

It was a crisp 23 degrees when we arrived at the boat ramp this morning. I don’t get the opportunity to fish with my dad as much was we’d like, so we treasured this time on the water together. A great family friend, Tommy, also accompanied us in search for trophy blue catfish on Oologah Lake.

They called for a high of 27 degrees and a 10-15 mph wind with gusts to 25 mph. It was a great day to put the top up, side curtains on, turn the heater on, and sit back and watch big blue catfish bury the rod down.

Our game plan was squashed with the cold north wind and big swells, so we had to devise a new game plan and search some new areas that we don’t normally fish. Some of you know that I grew up in the area, but began my career guiding and teaching in Texas before moving back home four years ago. When we decided to move back to Oklahoma, I sat in the garage with my fish finder marking areas should produce trophy catfish at Oologah and other surrounding lakes.

We looked at the map and found a few waypoints I had marked about six years ago that looked fishable with the wind conditions we had today. I graphed out several of the waypoint areas and finally found a ditch near deep water with broken up bait and big blue catfish in pursuit!!!

We decided to anchor today versus dragging baits with the trolling motor. It took two anchors and the MinnKota trolling motor to keep us anchored today.

About 5 minutes into getting the fresh cut baits in the water, we had a gentle bite on the shallow side, but he didn’t take it. We waited another ten minutes until we got a good solid pull down and Tommy was battling the first fish of the day. As Tommy was reeling his fish in, the rod on the opposite side of the boat went down and dad was reeling in a big fish. I used fish grips from Team Catfish on Tommy’s fish to pull him in the boat since we could tell dad’s fish was bigger and landed easier with the net.

Over the next couple of hours, we landed multiple double digit fish with about a dozen eating size for Tommy to have a fish fry. We let the fish over 30″ (about 12 pounds) live another day to keep our breading fish population healthy.

The next 10 weeks will be trophy blue catfish prime time!!! If you’re interested in book a trip in search of big blue catfish or spoonbill paddlefish, give us a call/text at 918-607-7357, email lancesguideservice@gmail.com.

You may also visit our Facebook page at Lance’s Guide Service.

- See more at: http://lancesguideservice.com/category/fishing-reports/#sthash.ooaQOaAm.dpuf

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...667623173947915[/img]
[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...192188192758337[/img]

Lance's Guide Service Website

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 01/26/16 06:20 PM

The bite was as light as the wind! We had to work to find some active fish and the bite was extremely light compared to the typical blue catfish aggressive take down. I'm blaming it on the full moon, no wind, blue bird day....

FYI, our customers released the 6 largest fish after the pic. Can't beat customers that understand cpr and respecting our resources. They said they only wanted enough for dinner that night and anything over that would most likely be wasted.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/04/16 02:24 PM

Fort Gibson is finally down enough from all our December high water to put the boat in and fish. IT'S ON!!!! The spoonbill paddlefish have been absolutely stacked. I have a few more weekend dates open in February and March. This is like no other fishing you'll ever do in freshwater. Call/text 918-607-7357 or visit http://lancesguideservice.com/ Lance's Guide Service website. for more information.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/09/16 07:54 PM

I had Lauren and her dad on the boat to do research for her science fair project this weekend...antibiotic properties of blue catfish slime. I can't wait to see what her research tells us.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/12/16 05:17 AM

Nice pics!

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/15/16 03:10 PM

Grand Lake finally cleared up enough for the shad to go down to the lower third of the water column on channel edges. This created a good deep water bite on the outskirts of the shad carpet. Looking at the bait is more of a key to locating fish than anything else. Good times with great friends and customers, Larry and Iris.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/24/16 08:58 PM

Posted By: Freshwater Phil

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/25/16 12:46 AM

So let me get this straight. You guys are a snag and release guiding operation?

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/25/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Freshwater Phil

About half of our spoonbill paddlefish trips the angler chooses to release. Monday and Friday are mandatory catch and release in Oklahoma.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/25/16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: lancer821
Originally Posted By: Freshwater Phil

About half of our spoonbill paddlefish trips the angler chooses to release. Monday and Friday are mandatory catch and release in Oklahoma.

Up here (Canada) snagging is illegal, and snaggers are frowned upon, not considered sportsmanlike at all. I believe Texas and many other states have the same rule. It's in effect to protect the fish, as fish appear to take more damage when foul hooked. Just wondering if it's possible to catch them using bait.
Posted By: OUt Cattin

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/25/16 09:28 PM

No its near impossible to my knowledge.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/25/16 11:40 PM

They are filter feeders, the most common and effective way to catch paddlefish is snagging. Been done for years and the fishery is highly regulated.

Never done it, but I'm not going to frown upon it either and I don't think I'm alone.
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/26/16 12:05 AM

roflmao So let me get this straight.... roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/26/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Blues
They are filter feeders, the most common and effective way to catch paddlefish is snagging. Been done for years and the fishery is highly regulated.

Never done it, but I'm not going to frown upon it either and I don't think I'm alone.

No each state has their own rules, no matter how absurd some may seem to others. We are only allowed 1 rod per person up here, most sport fish have a closed season during the pre-spawn, and live bait is banned throughout the province. Obviously, our biologists have more say than our angler lobby (no say at all here). As long as the guide is playing by state rules, good for him, even if others (such as myself) may find it un sportsman like.

That being said, there are ways to catch filter feeders using particle baits, I've seen footage of some people in Asia doing it for Asian carp. Wondering if it would work on paddlefish as well.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/26/16 03:21 AM

Paddlefish are doing just fine in Oklahoma and have been caught by snagging for ages.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/26/16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Paddlefish are doing just fine in Oklahoma and have been caught by snagging for ages.

Doesn't make it any more sportsmanlike in my book. Kind of like people that snag salmon or carp during the spawn, when they are all at the surface or in a foot or 2 of water.

Apparently, many people down there feel otherwise, judging by the happy customers in those pics.
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/26/16 03:05 PM

Dragging a giant net around in the ocean catching Atlantic Cod is probably not terribly sportsmanlike either, but its also not illegal or wrong to do! I have no desire to do it my self, but would never look or speak down on those who make a living doing it. ( I like me some Long Johns Silvers fish once and a while too).

BTW I have my first spoonbill trip booked with Lance next weekend. Look forward to seeing you Lance.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/26/16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: hurricane 201
Dragging a giant net around in the ocean catching Atlantic Cod is probably not terribly sportsmanlike either, but its also not illegal or wrong to do! I have no desire to do it my self, but would never look or speak down on those who make a living doing it. ( I like me some Long Johns Silvers fish once and a while too).

BTW I have my first spoonbill trip booked with Lance next weekend. Look forward to seeing you Lance.

Quite a difference from netting fish for consumption, to snag and release fishing. To each their own as they say. Wish we had some of those paddlefish and big cats up here.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/26/16 07:11 PM

Spoonbill, the other boneless fish:)
Anybody besides me ever ate one?
A family friend of ours when I was a kid used to catch them out of Red River and bring us one ever so often. He was a commercial fisherman and caught them in nets. We always called them shovel bill cats.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 02/29/16 03:01 PM

Paddlefish are highly regulated in Oklahoma. They are filter feeders and eat micro-organisms. They follow the same patterns and lives as shad a good portion of the year. It's amazing to me that something can reach the sizes they do from eating something we cannot see with our eyes.
Our population is very good hear and our customers come from all over the continent to battle with them. We follow all rules and regulations and take very special care with handling these fish.
Many people have different opinions of what is sporting. You are entitled to your opinions. We won't get in that debate. Lot of different fishing methods are legal in different states.
I can tell you that our customers have a blast and many make it an annual event with friends and family.

Tight lines and screaming drags to all!

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 01:34 AM

Big shout out to Lance's guide service as well as Willis guide service, these guys teamed up to show us a heck of a time catching these very special fish, between the 2 boats we landed 35 of these beast with the big fish of the day being 59#'s.
For a heck of a fishing adventure give these guys a call....
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 04:43 AM

Big shout out to Lance's guide service as well as Willis guide service, these guys teamed up to show us a heck of a time catching these very special fish, between the 2 boats we landed 35 of these beast with the big fish of the day being 59#'s.

Bad to the bone Paul!!! Memories right there and thats a dang good pic pardner! cheers

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 05:31 AM

Great pictures! Wont be able to this year as Im still recovering from back surgery but would really like to come and catch one of these next year.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 12:44 PM

How do spoonbills taste? Anything like catfish? Bass?

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 03:04 PM

Don't know how they taste, but they smell a lot like a shark....

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Great pictures! Wont be able to this year as Im still recovering from back surgery but would really like to come and catch one of these next year.

Make sure your back is in good condition, you will need it....... they pull hard.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 07:12 PM

You guys were a really fun group!!! Thank you for the kind words and fun day on the water.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 07:19 PM

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 07:22 PM

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/07/16 07:29 PM

Don't know how they taste, but they smell a lot like a shark....

They're pretty closely related to sharks & rays, so that's not a surprise. Does the meat have an ammonia smell to it?
Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/08/16 03:44 AM

It was a really awesome trip! We enjoyed everything about catching those fish-and spending time with great anglers. Guide service was terrific. They were some hard fightin sun of a guns!!!
Posted By: reelfisherman

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/08/16 04:20 AM

So the only way to catch them is to snag them?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/08/16 05:32 AM

coolphotos Awesome!

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/08/16 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: reelfisherman
So the only way to catch them is to snag them?
Yes, they are filter feeders and eat the same organisms as shad.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 03/23/16 08:10 PM

We had a fun Spring Break 2016!!! Here are a few pics

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 04/07/16 07:57 PM

We've got about 4-5 more weeks of the best spoonbill paddlefish catching of the season and the shallow water blue catfish bite is heating up!!!

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 04/08/16 03:51 AM

Beautiful trophies!

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 01/27/17 05:16 PM

Hey guys, it's that time of year again where we are targeting blues and spoonbill / paddlefish!!! We have dates open in March and April if anyone is interested in making a trip north for an exciting adventure. Here are a few examples of recent catches. Spoonbill / paddlefish are not endangered here in Oklahoma and we work closely with the state managing our populations. People come from all over the world to target this prehistoric species. They are a blast to catch and good eating if cleaned properly(we do this for you).

Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 01/28/17 03:53 PM

how do ya catch em? do they eat shad? cool catches.

sorry for the ignorance, why are the tails cut off.

Re: Spoonbill/Paddlefish and Blue Catfish Season is Here (December-May) - 01/30/17 03:58 PM

Thanks! We have a blast putting customers on these hard fighting pre-historic beasts! We use three methods depending on how they fish are stacked up or not and water depths. Troll snag using heavy weights and dipsy divers, troll jerk, and cast and snag. They eat plankton like a shad and are filter feeders. It's amazing that fish can grow to this size by filtering. The tails and gills are cut to bleed the fish out before cleaning.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum