Texas Fishing Forum

Helix 7 Si

Posted By: BigPoppa007

Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 02:19 AM

I just ordered one - this Si [censored] better be as good as y'all say it is...........cuz this a Big purchase for a poor boy.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 02:22 AM

Posted By: pelican

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 02:38 AM

If it's set up right and the fish are there you will see them.
It also works really well for finding structure to mark and fish.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 02:38 AM

Take the time to learn how to use it BEFORE you use it for fishing.
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 11:56 AM

It'll be worth it!
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: GetSlimed
It'll be worth it!

This ^^^^
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 02:59 PM

All they do is show you fish that ain't biting!!!!
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

roflmao roflmao roflmao

The big ens are runnin and I've been burping eaters like crazy!!!

And extra Lake Tawakoni meditation is not helping. roflmao roflmao roflmao

Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 05:40 PM

Heck, they are fun to look at when the fish arent even biting

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
Heck, they are fun to look at when the fish arent even biting

I agree 44 but not when they are stealing my hard-earned trophy size gizzard heads... roflmao roflmao roflmao de roflmao
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 09:22 PM

Wash that boat Rick!!!!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/24/15 10:10 PM

It gets a washing when he drags the cast net across the deck.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/25/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: hurricane 201
Wash that boat Rick!!!!

roflmao It does need a good warshin!!!! Lol!

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/25/15 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
It gets a washing when he drags the cast net across the deck.

If those dern gizzards I'm chasing would just get outta their hideouts in the mud... Lol!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/25/15 02:39 PM

They do like to keep their belly in the mudline.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/25/15 05:23 PM

I wouldn't wash it, bad luck. That's the successful fishermans look.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/25/15 07:12 PM

Is anyone using this unit?

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/25/15 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01

What are your concerns?

It is just the current version that does the same sonar/GPS functions that previous SI units have for the past 10 years.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/25/15 11:56 PM

I think you will like it. I finally broke down and got one, and like it so far. I'm still working the kinks out of it. My transducer needs a little tweaking I think. The streaks are my livewell pickup I think. Below is a pic on the maiden voyage with it.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
I think you will like it. I finally broke down and got one, and like it so far. I'm still working the kinks out of it. My transducer needs a little tweaking I think. The streaks are my livewell pickup I think. Below is a pic on the maiden voyage with it.

How/where did you install the SI transducer?

Your screen shot looks like a lot of installations that are on the right side of a jackplate and the lines are due to echos from the inside of the left side of the jackplate.

Humminbird's Side Imaging covers from the water's surface to past vertical under the transducer on both sides.

What model do you have, your image looks like an ONIX SI view.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 12:38 AM

You may be correct Wayne. It is an Onix. See this pic of the transducer. I have not clipped the cable to the boat yet, waiting to get it lined out.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 12:41 AM

You may be correct Wayne. It is an Onix. See this pic of the transducer. I have not clipped the cable to the boat yet, waiting to get it lined out.

What unit/transducer do you use for on-plane depth readings?

What is on the left of the SI transducer?

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 12:50 AM

To the left is the pickup for the front bait tank, it was a factory installed deal. The transducer pictured is the one for everything. I get good on plane depth up to 36-38 mph in Medium chop. Yesterday we had some 3' rollers, and at 28-30 mph it was not giving a steady read. It bounced from 3400' back to actual some.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 12:59 AM

To the left is the pickup for the front bait tank, it was a factory installed deal. The transducer pictured is the one for everything. I get good on plane depth up to 36-38 mph in Medium chop. Yesterday we had some 3' rollers, and at 28-30 mph it was not giving a steady read. It bounced from 3400' back to actual some.

All of this is off topic so I will PM you with some details.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 01:14 AM

Close enuff to on topic for me - answer away.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 04:39 PM

It looks a little high to me for on plane readings. How is thetransducer attached to the mounting board. It always seemed to me that those things where too thin to accomplish their desired result.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/26/15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

What are your concerns?

It is just the current version that does the same sonar/GPS functions that previous SI units have for the past 10 years.

I am just trying to find out more about the unit.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/27/15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

roflmao roflmao roflmao

I can do that to,if you get me a crane roflmao
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/27/15 02:32 PM

Get SLADE to set it up for u you will not regret it.PM me I will get number to u

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/27/15 06:40 PM

Ok, Imma leave it dirty! Lol!

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/27/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: stubby77
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

roflmao roflmao roflmao

I can do that to,if you get me a crane roflmao

roflmao cheers
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/27/15 06:45 PM

barf lol

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/27/15 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ

barf lol

roflmao roflmao roflmao flush_2
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/28/15 08:35 AM

I have the helix 5 on my aluminum boat. No issues with the image quality etc. Same as my 898 minus the preset buttons. However, I have concerns about durability. My helix 5 crashed about 3 months after purchase. Would go off every time I hit a bump and would not get GPS fix at all. The unit was fixed under warranty.Was on the lake last weekend and it started to do the same thing again. It's a few months out of warranty now. I've always had great luck with humminbird and I'm not trying to trash their product at all, but you should get more than a year and two months out of a unit. Mine is probably just a lemon but I will not take another chance on a helix unit at this point.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/28/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Tree Grower
I have the helix 5 on my aluminum boat. No issues with the image quality etc. Same as my 898 minus the preset buttons. However, I have concerns about durability. My helix 5 crashed about 3 months after purchase. Would go off every time I hit a bump and would not get GPS fix at all. The unit was fixed under warranty.Was on the lake last weekend and it started to do the same thing again. It's a few months out of warranty now. I've always had great luck with humminbird and I'm not trying to trash their product at all, but you should get more than a year and two months out of a unit. Mine is probably just a lemon but I will not take another chance on a helix unit at this point.

Do you have the cable collector fully seated and have adequate power? That includes clean and tight connections to the power source, and a healthy battery that can perform all the functions connected to it.
If you didn't connect the power cord directly to the battery, try that.
Failing GPS is a sign of inadequate power.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/28/15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

Do you have the cable collector fully seated and have adequate power? That includes clean and tight connections to the power source, and a healthy battery that can perform all the functions connected to it.
If you didn't connect the power cord directly to the battery, try that.
Failing GPS is a sign of inadequate power.

Sometimes it can be a simple as a loose nut on the battery?

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/28/15 05:36 PM

What type of boat do you have? Can you snap a photo of your transducer location?
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/28/15 10:13 PM

Brian the Helix 5 is on my G3 1860. I'm not at home but I would be happy to snap a pic of transducer location when I get back. I have gone thru all of the power diagnostics like before. Checked all connections, tested battery,hooked direct to a brand new battery just like before. You can hook unit direct to battery, give it a slight tap on the side of unit and it cuts off. Just like before. Again, not trying to hijack thread or bash humminbird. Just relaying my experience. I've had multiple humminbird units on various boats. Always had good luck until this one.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Helix 7 Si - 11/28/15 10:54 PM

Brian the Helix 5 is on my G3 1860. I'm not at home but I would be happy to snap a pic of transducer location when I get back. I have gone thru all of the power diagnostics like before. Checked all connections, tested battery,hooked direct to a brand new battery just like before. You can hook unit direct to battery, give it a slight tap on the side of unit and it cuts off. Just like before. Again, not trying to hijack thread or bash humminbird. Just relaying my experience. I've had multiple humminbird units on various boats. Always had good luck until this one.

I would think if it's a reoccurring problem HB will take care of it even though the unit is outside of warranty.
They have been really good with a couple issues I've had over the years.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/01/15 05:07 PM

Just in time to wait a month for ramps to open hammer

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/01/15 11:05 PM

What are you going to do with those 3 new crankbaits?

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/01/15 11:21 PM

What are you going to do with those 3 new crankbaits?

Catch Flatheads...........

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/01/15 11:25 PM

There is one guy in another section that smashed his new lowrance with a big crankbait. I think you should leave them at home.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/06/15 11:21 PM

Arggg. Now I gotta buy a Micro LakeMaster card......

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/07/15 02:32 PM

Better check to make sure your current one isn't using an adapter.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/07/15 03:05 PM

I Wish.

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/14/15 01:49 AM

Worth is Muddy and full of suspended debris, leaves etc.....

Re: Helix 7 Si - 12/14/15 02:24 AM

Only the 2015 issues are microSD. That is because Humminbird started using microSD card readers with the Helix 5 and now the Helix 7 series.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum