Texas Fishing Forum

Mullet for Catfish?

Posted By: BigPoppa007

Mullet for Catfish? - 11/04/15 05:29 PM

Anybody ever try mullet for bait? I got a buddy who fishes coast every 6 weeks or so and has mullet leftover many times he'd give me.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/04/15 05:35 PM

the "swimming tongue" will eat nethang...the problem i have is turtles...gonna try cheese dipbait...ne other suggestions???
Posted By: Blues

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/04/15 05:38 PM

I don't like them, get soft fast and don't seem oily or stinky enough for me. Shad out fish mullet for me 2 or 3 to 1. I've wanted to try skip Jack but have never got my hands on any.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/04/15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
I don't like them, get soft fast and don't seem oily or stinky enough for me. Shad out fish mullet for me 2 or 3 to 1. I've wanted to try skip Jack but have never got my hands on any.

X2. Gets mushy real quick.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/04/15 07:10 PM

In Louisiana, it is the Best bait... Cut Mullet, but up here it depends, I have used in in Texoma, and did ok, but was a one time only. and Yes can get mushy fast. but Free bait is always worth a try. lol
Posted By: Aixsponsa

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/04/15 10:03 PM

Opinions vary, but I'll tell you that I know for a fact that catfish will eat mullet. I've caught some nice catfish on cut mullet.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/04/15 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Chiprat
In Louisiana, it is the Best bait... Cut Mullet, but up here it depends, I have used in in Texoma, and did ok, but was a one time only. and Yes can get mushy fast. but Free bait is always worth a try. lol
Originally Posted By: Aixsponsa
Opinions vary, but I'll tell you that I know for a fact that catfish will eat mullet. I've caught some nice catfish on cut mullet.

Would y'all choose them over shad?

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/05/15 03:23 PM

Quote:

Would y'all choose them over shad?

Never.

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/05/15 03:52 PM

Let me rephrase that...

No, I probably wouldn't.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/06/15 03:21 PM

NO Not over shad, but if I had some I would put them in the water, probably on a Jug line...
Posted By: KQT

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/09/15 08:26 PM

There are better choices if you don’t use shad. I have never done very well with them as compared to other saltwater bait. If he catches skipjacks aka ladyfish they are very productive, get him to save you some. Kingfish is good but is a sport fish so you know the rules on that. Not sure if you would get in trouble being you can buy them at Fiesta Market. Ribbonfish also work well.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/10/15 07:03 AM

I Have had very good luck with haring even though i have not been out much this winter the kids when to still house with my last few and caught 9 off the dock before running out it produces well and is a very oily fish you can order them online or you can get them at most asian markets in the frozen fish section they wont be called anything your use to calling them so you need to know what they look like I have order these last few dozens online
Posted By: The Texas Alien

Re: Mullet for Catfish? - 11/10/15 10:15 PM

Gizzard shad are herrings... the oilier the bait, the better.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum