Texas Fishing Forum

What Sonar/GPS are you running?

Posted By: BrianTx01

What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 05:42 PM

I still have a rather archaic HDS5 Gen 1. I am curious what everyone is running and what they like / don't like about their sonar/GPS?
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 06:22 PM

I am running an HD 8 gen 2 i absolutely love it cheers i have 0 complaints Brian with mine. Side scan is just plain sweet... it saves money and time...I can scan a shallow cove quickly when i used to half to fish it in 2 or 3 spots before deciding if they were there or not..
Posted By: DaggerDoc1

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 07:06 PM

I'm running a HDS 9 Gen 3 and I really have no complaints. It's my very first unit ever and it is really simple to operate although I always have this nagging feeling there is something I'm missing that might clear up some of my returns on down imaging and side scan. I always see these hummingbird screen shots that have tremendously more amounts of detail. I mostly use my side scan for locating brush piles crappie fishing though. It also drives me crazy that I can't combine it to my minn Kota tm for I-pilot type stuff. All in all I would definitely recommend it.
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 07:20 PM

Brian, I have an HDS 8 gen 2 and it is a great piece of equipment. The 2D sonar and Down imaging are second to none in my opinion. My fishing partner runs a Bird and I will say I believe as far as side imaging, they have the upper hand. ( believe it is due to the construction of the transducer.) Clear a spot in you PM box and I will share more thoughts.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 07:47 PM

Humminbird 1199 on the console, a 999 on the bow with trolling motor transducer mount. The HB appears to be a little more user friendly, but regardless which brand you go with, anything without SI is a waste of $$$.
Posted By: Cap'n Dave

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 08:01 PM

Humminbird 997 Love it!
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 09:19 PM

Have a 1199 and a lcx28c love the hummingbird just don't like Gps on the hummingbird.
Johnny
Posted By: Andy73

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 09:39 PM

Used to have a gen 2 hds currently a 1199 bird. I think hds has a little better 2d and down scan and the bird better side scan especially in shallow water. The onix looks awesome if you can afford it.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Sam
I am running an HD 8 gen 2 i absolutely love it cheers i have 0 complaints Brian with mine. Side scan is just plain sweet... it saves money and time...I can scan a shallow cove quickly when i used to half to fish it in 2 or 3 spots before deciding if they were there or not..

Are you using a lss-1 or lss-2?

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 09:52 PM

LSS-2 like me I believe

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: hurricane 201
Brian, I have an HDS 8 gen 2 and it is a great piece of equipment. The 2D sonar and Down imaging are second to none in my opinion. My fishing partner runs a Bird and I will say I believe as far as side imaging, they have the upper hand. ( believe it is due to the construction of the transducer.) Clear a spot in you PM box and I will share more thoughts.

I should have some PM space now.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 09:54 PM

LSS-2 like me I believe

Do you know what the advantages of the lss-2 are?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 10:04 PM

Lss 2 is higher definition than the lss1. Can't buy the lss1 any more and they are discontinuing the lss2. I do have an lss1 box I would sell for a $100
Posted By: stubby77

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 10:23 PM

New 12 inch touch lorance just put it on .

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: stubby77

Stubby, did you get a gen 2 or 3?
My issue with the touch screen Gen 2 is it is very difficult to navigate or adjust while going across the lake.
The Gen 3 units added back in the key pad and you can adjust it with the touch screen or buttons.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 10:46 PM

I have a HB 898, but I don't use it as much as I do my sixth sense. (Sixth Sense = following Paul and Tom around)
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 11:38 PM

HDS 12 touch Gen 2 on the console and HDS 7 Gen 2 on the bow. I have only been on the water 3 times so far with the touch, but have had no issues adjusting it to my liking. Even while running the lake. Pick the biggest screen you can afford and then get a loan for the difference and buy a 12" screen.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/03/15 11:44 PM

I run an Onix on the console and an Elite 7 HDI on the trolling motor/ bow. This combination works well for me. The Elite came on the boat and I quickly moved it up front and Installed the Onix. I'm really thinking about putting a Helix 10 on my other small 16' boat. It seems like a lot of graph for the money. It will replace or probably complement the Eagle 28. As for the Onix, I couldn't be happier. The Elite 7 is OK, but with no side scan, it seems crippled after having side scan.
Posted By: pelican

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 01:07 AM

HB 999, I use SI 90% of the time and the GPS couldn't be better.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 03:02 AM

All Humminbirds....Onix, 1199 and 1198's.

I set up Lowrance units often...the new gen 3's are sweet but the onix side imaging is clearer and I use side imaging 90% of tha time.
Posted By: Iron Will

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 03:46 AM

Humminbird 550
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 03:08 PM

i run a HDS-9 Gen 3 and its been by far my favorite unit. I don't run GPS as much as some but as far as sonar goes its grade A
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 03:17 PM

I may get a Helix 7 or 9 with Si after Holidays. Do not have Si now as I have Humminbird 859 Di combo. Probally the 7 cuz 9 is $300 more. eeks
Posted By: Got the Fever

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Lss 2 is higher definition than the lss1. Can't buy the lss1 any more and they are discontinuing the lss2. I do have an lss1 box I would sell for a $100

So for someone with a Gen 2 non touch unit, what will the options be for sidescan? I still have an HDS 5 with the LSS 1 and an HDS 8. Am I going to have to buy a Gen 3 if I want to upgrade sidescan?

When I fish with JLowe and see his HB sidescan, I am extremely jealous. Mine just isn't nearly as clear, especially in water under 4 feet deep. I was thinking it was just because it was the old LSS 1 technology, but I don't want to upgrade to LSS 2 if it's been discontinued.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 05:11 PM

I didn't realize till recently I was still running an lss1 box. Changed to the lss 2 and it made worlds of difference. Have also heard adding the lss2 box to the gen 3 helps it also

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 05:25 PM

I have always used the LSS2 box even with my older gen 1 lowrance. I have never needed anything clearer. It was clear enough to find a car with a person on it that was missing for 27 years. I'm sure plenty of birds passed over that spot before I did and didn't find it. stir

Posted By: DaggerDoc1

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 05:29 PM

Cool story bro now if only fish were as big as cars we'd be able to see them better on our HDS gen 3 side scan.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 05:38 PM

I found a massive school of little channel cats yesterday. They don't have to be as big as cars to find them. You just need to learn how to use what you have. The latest and greatest technology is a waste of money if you don't know how to use it.

Posted By: leeroybrown

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 06:10 PM

I've had a 1199 since February and still can't figure it out. Need to have someone go over it with me.
Posted By: Got the Fever

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 06:45 PM

Dangit! I may need to spend more money now...
Posted By: lancer821

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ
All Humminbirds....Onix, 1199 and 1198's.

I set up Lowrance units often...the new gen 3's are sweet but the onix side imaging is clearer and I use side imaging 90% of tha time.

I went from the HB 1197 to the HDS12. The SI on the HB is SOOOO much better in shallow water and the Lowrance is better at DI. I made the switch to a HB 1199 a couple of weeks ago. I use SI much more than the other images so HB makes more sense for my application.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 07:39 PM

Hey Lance! Have u chk'ed out the DI on tha Onix? Dedicated crystal and super clean...rivals Lowrance...maybe even better.
Posted By: lancer821

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ
Hey Lance! Have u chk'ed out the DI on tha Onix? Dedicated crystal and super clean...rivals Lowrance...maybe even better.

I have an they look REALLY nice!!! Plan on getting one to go next to the 1199 when I get the funds. That way I'm all networked with the trolling motor and front graph also
wink

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/04/15 08:10 PM

Does Humminbird still have the problem where it roostertails water from the transom transducer mount? I remember their being some talk about some kind of rubber plug?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 02:58 AM

That's on the compact di and si transducers, have to install the rubber plug, the hdsi tducers have different mount and don't require the plug
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 03:30 AM

Humminbird Helix 5 SI GPS.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I found a massive school of little channel cats yesterday. They don't have to be as big as cars to find them. You just need to learn how to use what you have. The latest and greatest technology is a waste of money if you don't know how to use it.

I remember when I saw a bunch of channel cats like that. I thought they were rock, but when I dropped a line and started catching, I realized what I was looking at.

It took time to learn how to use my little Helix 5. Once you get your unit dialed in and you know what you're looking for, it's makes fishing a lot more fun and time saving.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 09:39 AM

I have always used the LSS2 box even with my older gen 1 lowrance. I have never needed anything clearer. It was clear enough to find a car with a person on it that was missing for 27 years. I'm sure plenty of birds passed over that spot before I did and didn't find it. stir

I don't fish near submerged cars any more. Last time I did I hooked a big Blue cat and it swam inside and rolled up the windows, I like to have never got it out. stir
Posted By: Justin B

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip

Same here. How do you like the si?

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: leeroybrown
I've had a 1199 since February and still can't figure it out. Need to have someone go over it with me.
GET A HOLD OF FORKFISH ON FORK ,SLAD KNOW GRAFINSIDE OUT.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 01:31 PM

I JUST TOOK MY 1198 off my boat and installed a new touch 12 lorance love it.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/05/15 01:35 PM

My issue with the touch screen Gen 2 is it is very difficult to navigate or adjust while going across the lake.
The Gen 3 units added back in the key pad and you can adjust it with the touch screen or buttons.
I got the gen two love it

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 01:35 PM

I got the gen two love it

From what I understand if you have a Gen III or Gen II Touch you do not need the extra box.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 01:37 PM

I have always heard it is not worth it to get SI on a small screen.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 01:40 PM

How can you tell that these are channel catfish and not bait fish or sand bass?

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
That's on the compact di and si transducers, have to install the rubber plug, the hdsi tducers have different mount and don't require the plug

Which units have the hdsi transducers?

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 01:44 PM

Brian it is true that on the gen 2 and 3 touch lowrance units you do not need the LSS-2 structure scan module, but I do believe if you use the module with them it improves the quality even more. This is just what I have been told, do not know it for a fact.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01

All si units are compadable with the hdsi tducer, only some of the newer 8" screens don't come standard with, but you can upgrade for about $80 more
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 05:54 PM

Brian it is true that on the gen 2 and 3 touch lowrance units you do not need the LSS-2 structure scan module, but I do believe if you use the module with them it improves the quality even more. This is just what I have been told, do not know it for a fact.
You have to have module

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 09:07 PM

You do not need the module. You can network them straight from one unit to the other, but the module improves the picture quality.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/06/15 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: 4th Generation
You have to have module

Yes I have an HDS-8 Gen 2, I must have the module to have SI and DI, only the touch screen models will operate with out the module.

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/07/15 12:30 AM

I'd disagree, even with a small screen they are very useful. With that said I upgraded from a 798 to a 999 as soon as I could afford it. Bigger is better!

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/07/15 12:34 AM

All si units are compadable with the hdsi tducer, only some of the newer 8" screens don't come standard with, but you can upgrade for about $80 more

Make sure you keep the original ducer in the box, contact HB to return and upgrade.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/09/15 04:40 PM

Sorry Brian the thread exploded somehow? hammer yes LSS 2 better definition...I notice the prices are falling on the bundle packages...

Originally Posted By: Big Sam

Are you using a lss-1 or lss-2?

Re: What Sonar/GPS are you running? - 11/09/15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: pelican
[quote=WillieRip]Humminbird Helix 5 SI GPS.

Well, the fish I keep catching don't seem to know I'm only using a 5 inch screen. Forget what people tell you. Try it for yourself cause they ain't working your job, paying your rent, buying your boat or anything else.

I've had people tell me it was a waste of money. I bought it anyway, learned how to use it, dialied it in for my purposes, and I'm catching more fish than I have ever caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEwlXa6WKw
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum