Texas Fishing Forum

Fillet Knife

Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 01:30 PM

i have a berkley and this thing is GARBAGE! Which do yall use and where can i get one? roflmao
i'm thinking about spending the money and getting an American Angler
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 01:38 PM

I use the cheap black and deckers
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 02:40 PM

Dexter Russel filet knives are inexpensive and will keep an edge and a ton of use.
Just as good if not better than an expensive Bubba blade.

http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Wide-Fillet-Knife/dp/B00PSWJ83K
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 02:54 PM

Dexter Russel for me.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 03:14 PM

For catfish I use Kershaw or if I'm using an electric I use an American Angler with a shark blade.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 03:43 PM

i should have mentioned it was electric
Posted By: CATDADDY JR

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 07:27 PM

American Angler are the best electric knifes you can buy I believe.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/09/15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: CATDADDY JR
American Angler are the best electric knifes you can buy I believe.
I agree
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/10/15 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: kodys'papa
I use the cheap back and deckers

I've been using mine for the past 4 years with no problem. Only cost $8.00 at Wal-mart.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/10/15 01:38 AM

Rapala
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/11/15 03:30 AM

Don't waste ur time. Orange American angler with the 8" shark replacement blade.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/11/15 12:53 PM

+1

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ
Don't waste ur time. Orange American angler with the 8" shark replacement blade.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/12/15 04:59 PM

I use a 10inch old timer fillet knife....easy to sharpen and holds an edge flehan I will say that any decent fillet knife that is SHARPENED properly will do the trick 2cents
Posted By: Tech Angler

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/12/15 07:28 PM

I use the Mister Twister because the blades are sharp but not to pointed. They don't hang the skin

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/13/15 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Sam
I use a 10inch old timer fillet knife....easy to sharpen and holds an edge flehan I will say that any decent fillet knife that is SHARPENED properly will do the trick 2cents

Sam! Tell us how to sharpen them...you will save me about $200/year thumb
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/13/15 12:48 AM

I use the Work Sharp on my blades. Easy to use and put a razor sharp edge on your knives.
Posted By: CATDADDY JR

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/13/15 01:20 AM

Over this past summer fishing down on the Red River I was forced to use a fillet knife and I became pretty fast at it. I had a nice MUSTAD 9" fillet knife I started with but it wasnt stiff enought so I ended buying a KVD set from walmart; which is made by mustad as well but have a stiffer blade, and a cheap sharpener and it has worked great for me ever since. I do love the American Angler electric knifes tho. I think that you get a nicer cut using a sharp fillet knife instead of an electric knife. But to each is his own and everyone will have there own 2cents to put in.

http://www.mustad.no/productcatalog/na/product.php?id=2864
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/13/15 01:26 AM

A 5/32nd chain saw file will sharpen electric knife blades in just a few minutes.

About 8 passes on each notch of each single blade with the flat side of the blade face down and it will be good as new!
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/15/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: 4th Generation
i have a berkley and this thing is GARBAGE! Which do yall use and where can i get one? roflmao
i'm thinking about spending the money and getting an American Angler
+++1 on the American angler
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/15/15 11:21 PM

I use the Mr. Twister Saltwater Edition.
Posted By: crappieScout Calvin

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/15/15 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Spiderman
A 5/32nd chain saw file will sharpen electric knife blades in just a few minutes.

About 8 passes on each notch of each single blade with the flat side of the blade face down and it will be good as new!

Where can you get a 5/32 chain saw file? Home Depot/Lowes?

fish,
Calvin
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/18/15 01:35 PM

Better than anything you plug in.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/21/15 03:19 AM

I fill my freezer every year with a RADA I have tried cutco and a couple more but the RADA is easy to sharpen and lasts .

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/23/15 03:01 PM

Salsa get a Work-Sharp knife & tool sharpener after you get them sharp you just have to touch them up when your done you can have a razor edge in 2 minutes or less flehan I carry 4 or 5 fillet knifes around at the same time....that helps a lot in casae I dull one or two flag

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/23/15 06:08 PM

Salsa get a Work-Sharp knife & tool sharpener after you get them sharp you just have to touch them up when your done you can have a razor edge in 2 minutes or less flehan I carry 4 or 5 fillet knifes around at the same time....that helps a lot in casae I dull one or two flag

Sam, i've tried the worksharp w/ no luck. are you using the serration tool or the regular belt?
Posted By: Red White and Blue Guide Svc

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/26/15 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Tommie
+1

+2

Re: Fillet Knife - 10/26/15 03:56 PM

I ordered custom 360 grit belts 1/2 inch by 12inch from MSC industrial supply company..then i hit them with the honing belt.....they want ya to buy there belts in the kit....I dont use my machine except for knives...they do have a good how to video on line at work sharp web site..again i love my machine thumb i dont use the serrated guide either or the hunting knife guide..i use the standard knife guide that also has the scissors guide...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum