Texas Fishing Forum

Fresh frozen bluegill

Posted By: fshnbassrob

Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/25/15 03:55 PM

I generally use live bluegills for running jugs and lines. But, sometimes I have some that die. I have thought about freezing them and using them on my next trip.

I have never frozen bluegill as bait.

Any thoughts on how good they work after being frozen?
Posted By: Blues

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/25/15 04:23 PM

Not sure after freezing but fresh cut bluegill works well.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/25/15 04:51 PM

Nothing frozen will be as good as fresh cut or live bait.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/25/15 05:19 PM

I use them with good success. I put them alive into a gallon zip loc bag with a little water and some salt and freeze them alive. Quick freezing them alive with the salt seems to preserve the color. Scale one side and cut 2-3 vertical slices into the meat when you put them on the hook to let the juices and smell out. Blues will eat them up in RayBob.

Posted By: spazm09

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/25/15 06:01 PM

Fresh is always better but I use frozen all the time for convenience and they work
Posted By: fshnbassrob

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/25/15 07:22 PM

My daughter (4 years old) and I fish for Bluegills and sometimes we catch a few more than I can use when I go fishing. But, sometimes she wants to stay home a play with her dolls. So, I generally don't want to go catch bait, it not as fun when she is not there catching them with me.

So, I wanted to know if I could just freeze the fresh dead and take them the next time I go. Guess I can.

Thanks for the helps.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/25/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
I use them with good success. I put them alive into a gallon zip loc bag with a little water and some salt and freeze them alive. Quick freezing them alive with the salt seems to preserve the color. Scale one side and cut 2-3 vertical slices into the meat when you put them on the hook to let the juices and smell out. Blues will eat them up in RayBob.

I do this with shad. If you do it just right, they never actually freeze, but remain pliable.
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/26/15 08:46 AM

I do fine with frozen. I cut them up and freeze them in water in plastic bags.
Posted By: CarolinaRigger

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/27/15 02:18 PM

Never used this trick but might start. Sometimes its like the bluegill hibernate on my lake or something....just disappear.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Fresh frozen bluegill - 09/28/15 12:00 PM

It seems to me that as soon as you freeze it the bait loses most of its value.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum