Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Somerville Sunday August 23

Posted By: OllieC

Lake Somerville Sunday August 23 - 08/24/15 03:59 AM

Caught 13 nice ones in front of the dam in about 3 feet of water. Really light bite missed a lot of fish but it was a great day. Big ones mixed in with little ones. We fished a lot of water in the same general area up to 12 feet deep but finally found a little pocket in front of the weeds in shallow water where we got a consistent bite. Tried different locations around that pocket with changing wind but they seemed to prefer casts from one particular direction. Strangest bite I've ever seen and that's saying something :-( Our CJ's Crawdad bait (half gallon) was a bit dry and kept falling off but we added some CJ's oil and mixed it in thoroughly and it totally changed the consistency for the better.

Great to be back on the lake under pretty normal conditions. Lots of boats trolling for white bass, tubing skiing etc. Should be a good Labor Day holiday.

Re: Lake Somerville Sunday August 23 - 08/24/15 04:06 AM

By the way. All the reeds along the dam seem to be dead, kind of brittle. They pull out or snap off when you hook into them. They are full of some sort of gelatinous blobs about the size of yellow squash. These are just below the water level at the moment. Any idea what these are? There are 100's of them. They look like some sort of eggs but I can't imagine what they are. They will soon be exposed to the air I think with the falling water.

Re: Lake Somerville Sunday August 23 - 08/24/15 04:12 AM

sorry. Weldon mentioned bryozoans so I looked them up and that's what they are. They are common in Texas lakes and harmless according to Tpw. I guess water conditions with the clear flood waters must have been ideal for their growth. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up with the falling water levels.
Posted By: obiewan57

Re: Lake Somerville Sunday August 23 - 08/26/15 01:42 PM

Nice trip OllieC, looks like you got into them good. Were you using a cork or tight lines? Looking forward to Labor day, will be good to see some traffic on the lake again.

Re: Lake Somerville Sunday August 23 - 08/26/15 03:47 PM

We used a fixed cork at about 3 feet. Tried all other sorts of things but that's what ended up working. Still missed a lot of bites. You'd think they were little ones messing with it and then you'd pull a big one in. Wind got less and less as the day went on and bite got more and more subtle. It was a battle of wits by the end :-)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum