Texas Fishing Forum

Bait tips.

Posted By: Trajan82

Bait tips. - 08/17/15 09:26 PM

Hello everyone.

I have recently gotten back into fishing after not picking up a rod for a number of years. I have access to a local park with a large fishing pond where you can keep what you catch. I have been going out one or two evenings for the past few weeks and seeing what I can get. I have had a little luck mostly at dark.

I am looking to see if anyone has similar experience on small bodies of water and can recommend a bait to try. I have tried shrimp, chicken hearts, and worms. The only luck I have had is on the chicken hearts. I'm not a big fan of stinkbaits because I used them a lot as a kid and never had much success. Of course, that was a long time ago and they may have come a long way in the intervening years.

Any ideas?
Posted By: HolyGrail

Re: Bait tips. - 08/17/15 09:33 PM

Try some dough or punch bait on a treble hook under a cork. Or minnows...

I used to use Catfish Charley Blood Bait back when I fished for channel cats, but there are a number of baits that'll work that won't smell as bad.
Posted By: Trajan82

Re: Bait tips. - 08/17/15 09:41 PM

Catfish Charley is what I remember using as a kid. Never caught a single thing on it. My grandfather always used bait shrimp and sprayed a little WD40 on them.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Bait tips. - 08/17/15 09:44 PM

It's hard to beat catalpa worms if you have access to any.
Posted By: K.G

Re: Bait tips. - 08/17/15 09:46 PM

welcome
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Bait tips. - 08/17/15 10:05 PM

Live bait from the body of water you're fishing is usually the best.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Bait tips. - 08/18/15 10:44 PM

give me a shout i can hook you up
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Bait tips. - 08/19/15 01:21 PM

Here is a tip a lot of people don't think of but makes a huge difference. Make sure your hands don't have any chemicals on them that are going to rub off on your bait and turn off a catfish from biting. For example don't pump gas before going fishing.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Bait tips. - 08/19/15 04:21 PM

catch some gizzard shad and fish the gut-pocket...it will tell ya whats in the water....& I agree with Mark I wear disposable gloves when cutting bait and putting it on the hook no human scent...
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Bait tips. - 08/20/15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Ray
Here is a tip a lot of people don't think of but makes a huge difference. Make sure your hands don't have any chemicals on them that are going to rub off on your bait and turn off a catfish from biting. For example don't pump gas before going fishing.

or put on sunscreen
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum