Texas Fishing Forum

I Need to Buy Some Chum

Posted By: crappieScout Calvin

I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/16/15 02:57 AM

I'm not into making chum. Is there anywhere or anyone selling some good stuff in the Ft Worth area?

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/16/15 03:23 AM

Never mind. I think I'm just gonna buy some range cubes
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/16/15 05:45 PM

Dog food or cat food. Buy the fish-flavored type. or just buy catfish feed.

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/16/15 06:37 PM

WillieRip,

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of catfish feed. I guess you can get that at the feed & seed store.

fish,
Calvin
Posted By: taterpop

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/16/15 07:22 PM

I use sour milo & wheat but if you need some now go to tractor supply and buy you some sweet feed it don't stink it smells of molasass and cats love it I like the purple bag.

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/16/15 10:14 PM

Thanks taterpop,

About how much does it cost?
Posted By: BcAveritt

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/16/15 11:38 PM

its about 10$ for 50 lb bag, i used it one year but like the range cubes better. the higher the protein the better. sour wheat or milo is always the best option, even soured corn but it will fill them up fast if you use to much

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 01:48 AM

Thanks BcAveritt,

I'll probably go with the range cubes.
Posted By: jason77

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 04:02 AM

Here's a tip in using Milo spread it out when you toss it in the water, make like an arch when you toss it. It seems to hellp draw them in rather then just putting a whole scoop in one spot, it will also help them from filling up to fast. I put 2 -3 scoops out right a way. If they are there and biting well I toss out about a half scoop every hour. To keep them there till the bit stops. I have never had much luck with rang cubes even the 20% cubes or Cotten seed cakes. They are hard and take a while to break down.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 06:00 AM

if you lived close enough I would give you a bucket

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 07:02 AM

Thanks Chemdawg,

But I live in Springtown
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 05:44 PM

If you know anyone who makes homemade beer get you some buckets of their spent grain. Makes for about the best chum there is.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 08:19 PM

if you lived closed the offer still stands if i were you i would go to lows or or home depot and get a few 5gallon bucket and get them stated with some yeast from walmart and a bag of milow you can get 2 5gallon buckets out of on bag of milow or about

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: crappieScout Calvin
Thanks taterpop,

About how much does it cost? It costs about 8 - 9 bucks a bag at tractor supply.

Posted By: crapyetr

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/17/15 11:27 PM

Daddy would put soured wheat in a potato sack, with a big rock in it...chunk it n the lake and let them tear up the sack 2 get 2 the wheat...took awhile...
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/18/15 01:36 PM

those range cubes will do the job. just put them in a mesh sack to keep the cats from eating them all and allow for a longer soaking time.

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/22/15 12:53 AM

Thanks everybody for helping out a crappie guy with the suggestions. I went with range cubes. My wife and I caught about 30-40 today. Too bad only 5 were keepers (3 of them were nice eaters), but that's enough for two dinners. Now I know what to do or stay doing when it's too windy to crappie fish. Still can't figure out why all the small fish. hmmm

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 08/22/15 02:47 AM

Thats summer Catfishing,Dinks seem to bite more better luck next time.
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: I Need to Buy Some Chum - 09/09/15 05:58 AM

If anyone else has any interest in a Chum, the Chum Powder in a bag at Wal-Mart has had the best results for me. We haven't gone catfishing without it ever since. Cast your bait then make balls out of it and throw them next to your bait. Get a cup and with a fanning motion spread the powder into the water. Don't use to much. A nice coat on the surface and 2 or 3 golf sized balls should do you for a few hours.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum