Texas Fishing Forum

Jug location

Posted By: Cole Miller

Jug location - 08/11/15 03:49 PM

I have about 11 jugs that i put right in the middle of where a cove meets the bigger part of the lake, its about 10-13 foot there and i have the hooks 6-10 ft range and i use cut or whole shad or worms when i cant get shad. Im not catching anything good sized and what other baits should i try?

This is all i got this morning.. Im running them out of a kayak and my dad doesn't really want me out too far on the water on that thing..so i guess if anybody has a cheap jon boat or something just let me know grin
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Jug location - 08/11/15 04:42 PM

Little 3" green sunfish with scales scrapped off on one side. Put your jugs out so they drift toward a wind blown bank or point.
Posted By: Cole Miller

Re: Jug location - 08/11/15 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Little 3" green sunfish with scales scrapped off on one side. Put your jugs out so they drift toward a wind blown bank or point.

At Lake Ellsworth here in Oklahoma you have to tie a weight on there so it doesn't drift at all
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Jug location - 08/11/15 05:08 PM

My choices for bait are cut carp for blue cats, liver for channel cats, and live bait for flat heads.

I use weights on all my jugs. I normally have 3 hooks for jug.

Set your jugs where there is enough slack for the jug to float toward the bank so that the line hangs at an angle. If you drop a 40 ft line in 30 ft of water upwind from the bank, the breeze will push the jug(away from the weight)toward land allowing the line to be at an angle toward the bank. This allows your drops to hang free from the main line. It also allows the baits to hang over different depths of water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum