Texas Fishing Forum

Yellow grasshopper popping time!!!

Posted By: CrappieTX

Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/09/15 01:59 PM

Anybody ever tried popping yellow grasshoppers??? Growing up, that was how I first learned how to catch cats. Just a rod, reel, line, hook, and a yellow grasshopper. I grew up and fished the Brazos river between Albany and Throckmorton west of Dallas. Early Morning we would catch grasshoppers and put them in our coke bottles. All you had to do was walk the bank and find a brush pile either laying in the river or trees hanging over in the river and use your rod like a fly rod slapping the grasshopper on top of the water. The sound of the grasshopper slapping the water was like a dinner bell and sometimes you would see multiple channels swimming around looking for the gh. We have filled the bottom of a 12' flat bottom john boat many times. Lotta fun, sure do miss it!
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/09/15 02:15 PM

That sounds like great fun. I wonder if it would work in a lake around shallow timber?
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/09/15 02:54 PM

MTry putting one on a fly rod. We used them to catch flatheads in the clear fork of the brazos north of merkel on tied grasshoppers...
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/09/15 03:08 PM

Years ago (20+) I used to night fish the Clear Fork just east of Anson at the bridge. That was my go to bait.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/09/15 05:58 PM

Funny you posted this-
I bought this last week just for grasshoppers this year-
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/09/15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
Years ago (20+) I used to night fish the Clear Fork just east of Anson at the bridge. That was my go to bait.

My grandparents live in Anson close to that bridge. When I saw this thread, that is the exact spot I had in mind of fishing hoppers. I have set many limb lines up the banks of that river. My grandmother always used to tell us though, nothing but drunks fished under that bridge. When it was just my brothers and I fishing it, she was right. Only because we didn't want our grandmother to be wrong about something.

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/10/15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Mudshark
Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut

My grandparents live in Anson close to that bridge. When I saw this thread, that is the exact spot I had in mind of fishing hoppers. I have set many limb lines up the banks of that river. My grandmother always used to tell us though, nothing but drunks fished under that bridge. When it was just my brothers and I fishing it, she was right. Only because we didn't want our grandmother to be wrong about something.

roflmao roflmao roflmao LMAO!!!
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/10/15 11:55 PM

We went to cooper before the big drought of 2011 and fished dip/punch bait and didn't get a fish. At the boat ramp I saw a man with a good mess of nice cats I ask him what his bait was and he showed me a wire box full of those big yellow grass hoppers.
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/11/15 01:00 AM

Youst to slay channel cats behind Granbury Sam by drowning some grass hoppers ' Thats all the would want

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/11/15 12:30 PM

Once those particular hoppers come out, the kitties know the sound when they hit the water.
I'm going to try it in some of our lake creeks with brush from my yak and see if I can't, at least, make a meal.
Posted By: txtac

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/13/15 03:19 PM

Hmmmm.... I remember some dude I use to go to church with and fish with that told me he was going to show me that trick. peep
Posted By: flyingmonkey70

Re: Yellow grasshopper popping time!!! - 08/13/15 06:17 PM

My grandfather fished with yellow grasshoppers on the pedernales river. He had several milkweed patches that he would raid at a certain time of year. We would have coffee cans full of yellow grasshoppers. We even kept some in the freezer for fishing out of grasshopper season. He wasn't interested in other types of grasshoppers. Just the yellow ones. I would be interested to hear peoples opinion of why the yellow ones are good for cats versus other types of grasshoppers.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum