Texas Fishing Forum

Tipping Fishing Guides?

Posted By: Pomel

Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 08:20 PM

Hi,
I was wondering what you all think about tipping fishing guides. Is it expected, normal, rare? The trip is already pretty expensive and a tip on top of that might be a bit much for some folks. Kind of wanted to see what you guys thought on the subject. If it is common what is a normal tip.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 09:09 PM

I dont expect tips when i take people out your already paying me. but it would be nice to tip the deck hand if he busted his butt my 13yr dose every thing if you bust a leader he hands you his rod to fish with and ties it, take the fish off the hook shows people how dont know how to handle a cat how to do that he does every thing and most of the time people dont tip him even if it just 5$ its something I pay him out of what I make I have been on a guided trip were the hand slept the entertire timer he would not even tie a rig up that busted. the the guid said we need to tip him he slept the whole time they dont clean the fish when no one would tip him he told us his hand gets first pick of the fish seeing how we only caught 8 fish between the 5 of us the other guys told him no and the kicker the guy told me that me and my family could come up for free then when we get there he wanted me to pay I had to pull out the email and text messages. and that is after he changed were he was launching from and did not tell us till i called him an hour after he was suppose to show his boat was running like [censored] and took for ever to get where we were fishing then he ended the trip before it was over stating his time starts when the boat hits the water. the guy talks big about all the huge cats and all the cats they catch every trip. it was a waist of a 4hr drive d
on lime stone i head out as soon as i can see well enough not to hit a stump so atound 545 -6am waco if the gates open we go right in and same thing if not we launch about 6-620 and we go till 2-3pm some times longer if they are really biting or your close to your limit 90% of my customer come as recommendations from previous customers but back to your question no you dont need to I dont expect it for some people they have to save for a while to go on these trips most are not cheap like me I understand that a lot of people just dont have the extra money to do so and dont expect it in most cases when they do tip i try to give it back as you are paying me al ready. if they wont take it i give it to my son for his hard work he does
Posted By: GunGuy

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 09:11 PM

I am limited on experience as far as tipping but I think if your guide puts you on fish or does a really good job then I would say give them a little extra. I have had one really bad experience with one guide and I had to really great trips with another. The second one got tipped and the other got paid but will never get my business again.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 09:30 PM

The unspoken expectation for a gratuity in the marine business id 20%. Having been involved for the last 20 years in one way or another in the marine/boating industry, the subject of gratuities has always been a real sore spot with me. The entire marine industry seems to operate on a system of bribes and handouts with people expecting something just for picking up a phone.. I've had people expect to be paid for sending me a referral and I've seen boat captains go into a tirade because they did not get a gratuity when they should not have even been paid for the trip at all. Unbelievable.
Years ago I did skippered sailboat charters for the marine where I slipped my boat. I agreed to do it for a price, the marina paid me, if I received a tip, that was fine, if I didn't that was still fine. I knew what the job paid and had I not wanted to do it for that, I would have simply declined the job. Sometimes I was tipped, sometimes not. I never pupped any of our clients for money.
That said, anyone who charges $400 for a fishing tip and then expects to be tipped regardless of the level of service, really should find another line of work. I have never been on a guided fishing trip, and based on the stories I have read posted by customers, some good and some bad, I probably never will. Certainly a so-called guide who provides a mediocre fishing trip and has a lazy deck hand who won't get off his butt to bait a hook or clean a fish, doesn't even deserve what he charged for the trip, let alone a tip for poor service.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 10:23 PM

I have been guiding for over 40 years and I really enjoy it.It all about the service to your customers and there experience .If you do what a guide is support to you will always get a tip ,I get one every time and I APPERATE it,that said I also clean all the fish ,take all the fish of the hook,bait all the hooks,and supply drinks and repair all the poles if they brake a line,i never fish because they are paying me to take care of them ,I never use a deck hand because I can handle it my self.Guiding is like any other service it all about the quality provides to your COUSTOMERS. fish
Posted By: CATDADDY JR

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: stubby77
I have been guiding for over 40 years and I really enjoy it.It all about the service to your customers and there experience .If you do what a guide is support to you will always get a tip ,I get one every time and I APPERATE it,that said I also clean all the fish ,take all the fish of the hook,bait all the hooks,and supply drinks and repair all the poles if they brake a line,i never fish because they are paying me to take care of them ,I never use a deck hand because I can handle it my self.Guiding is like any other service it all about the quality provides to your COUSTOMERS. fish

+1 Not quite 40 years lol I do have a deck hand every now and then for striper fishing but the over all goal weather you catch fish or not is to show your customers the best possible time every time! Just like your waiter when you go out to eat, if you decide to give a tip base it off your service. I dont require a tip nor push customers to fill like they have to leave one.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 11:03 PM

Just to be clear, my comments were directed at the people who because of an entitlement mentality, think they should be rewarded regardless of the quality of the trip. I'm sure there are guides out there who provide a good value for what they charge, and if they go above and beyond to insure a good trip, then they should be rewarded just as a good server in a restaurant is rewarded. But to expect a tip regardless is wrong. I have left a restaurant without tipping not because the food was bad, but because the service was terrible. The same would apply to a fishing trip. I think that if I paid for a trip that was not good enough to warrant a tip, I would explain why and what I was unhappy with. A good guide would put that information to good use and improve his service, a mediocre one would not.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/03/15 11:41 PM

I agree 100 percent with you Bob.
Posted By: Dunkky dude

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 12:04 AM

the way i see it, if you would have to ask and act based on the answer here, then you shouldn't tip. Tip should be based on your impression and feeling that you feel so grateful you would like to pay a little more. if you tip/don't tip just because someone says its right/wrong thing to do from here, that just defeats a whole purpose of idea of tip.

I totally agree with Bob. by the way, tip shouldn't always be a form of money. it could be six pack of beers, a lunch, whatever, or just simple thank you from your heart, a pure form of gratitude..
if people are not satisfied with that then, that's the whole reason why tip culture should be diminished as they have no clue of the meaning of it.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 02:04 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will certainly tip if I had a great trip, learned some new methods to get on the fish, etc. I just wanted to get a feel for how everyone else feels about the subject and maybe some idea of how much people usually tip if they do.

Thanks again,
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 03:20 PM

Im not a fan of/believer in tipping.

I know 18 year old high school girls who made $500 a night as a waitress from tips because its traditional to tip waitresses because they don't make enough roflmao

I don't tip fishing guides. That said I don't take many guided trips. Charge what you need to charge to coverer your expenses and a profit and charge it. Good service should be expected if its not given you wont get return/repeat business or referrals. I don't get tips and I don't expect them at my job.

Recently took a guide out at the coast $700 for a party of 4 for 8 hours. FIL tried to tell me we needed to tip him because guides don't make any money... roflmao Dude told us he ran 6 days a week.
Posted By: Spud--Cattin Around Adventures

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 04:40 PM

Here is my opinion on tipping a guide. That is up to the customer and what he/she feels is correct for what they experienced. I don't ever expect a tip but it is always appreciated! I have been guiding for years and receive tips on probably 95% of my trips. I have heard many people say "guiding is easy" or "man you make good money". But most guides will tell you its not about the money, we don't profit a lot. Lets break it down honestly. I live approximately 30 mins form the lake I guide on mostly (most guides don't live on the lake!). So to ensure and not just hope I have the correct bait I go out the day before or two days before to catch "good" bait for my clients, this usually in tells 3-5 hours of drive time and/or cast net throwing. So you have a little boat fuel and truck fuel. Then the day of the trip I am there an hour ahead, then the trip, then time after cleaning. So lets add up....

trip day time---10 hours at least (with driving)
Bait day time---3 hours minimum (bait hard then a lot more or another trip!!)
Truck fuel----$40 (very safe estimate--I'm a diesel owner)
Boat fuel---$30 (again safe estimate)
Ice/Lost tackle--$20 (again safe estimate)

Total of expenses is $90. I run a trip for $350 a day for up to 3 people. So subtract the expenses that's $260. Divide that by the minimum 13 hours and you get $20 an hour. Now you are not considering the gate fee's or annual passes, boat insurance, guide insurance, guide license, personal food/drinks, wear and tear on trailer and boat, wear tear on truck, purchase of good equipment (reels, graphs, rods, rod holders), maintenance on equipment (line, time spent repairs or oiling/break down). All this is overhead! If you are a true professional guide you know all of this. I have a great CPA who breaks down my expenses vs. profit and I make anywhere from $8 to $11 dollars an hour past few years. Difference in being fuel cost and maintenance/repairs on boat/trailer and motor. So honestly you now see there is a lot more than just going out and taking you fishing from a guide (remember professional--not a fly by night or self proclaimed). Most guides now a days who charge a very cheap price are running illegal!!! NO INSURANCE, NO GUIDE LICENSE or NOT the CORRECT GUIDE EQUIPMENT required by LAW!

When I take people out too (past clients chime in) I not only fish but I teach also. Graphing, fish seasonal movements, equipment, different technique's etc.... To me I'm not just providing a fishing trip but a true learning experience. Maybe that's why I receive what I do in tips from my clients? From the experience and service not the fishing?!
Posted By: Laner

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 04:59 PM

As a full time guide, tips make up for around a third of my income. Are they required? Absolutely not. Do they help a great deal? Yes they do.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 05:30 PM

In my opinion I hire a guide, not a friend. Ill pay you what you ask, not what I think your worth. Do you tip a car salesman because he gave you a little better deal than the guy at the dealer up the road or was friendlier, or let you take the truck overnight for a test drive, or let you tow your boat with it on test drive etc.? I doubt it.

Not doggin on guides, just saying I don't get where the notion to tip came from, I don't tip my A/C repair man either and his service is much more important to me than a fishing guide.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 06:03 PM

Every body's GOT there opinion that why we live in America .BUT THANK YOU TO ALL MY CLIENTS WHO TIP ME and all the other guides we all APPERATE it ,thanks you again.
Posted By: Laner

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 06:07 PM

I run 180-200 trips a year, depending on weather, the random last minute cancellation, etc. Before gratuity, I make 18-20k. Those tips that I receive, if somebody should feel that I deserve one, bumps my income up to 30-33k. That extra income helps a lot in the four slow months of the year.

I'm going to do the best that I can, on every single trip that I run, because I have pride in my work and word of mouth is everything in this business. I think I speak for everyone in our five man fleet, and the entire service industry for that matter, that when someone hands you a little extra at the end of the day, it is greatly appreciated. If not, no big deal, the Lord always provides to those that work hard.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 06:09 PM

You should tip everyone who does work for you or helps you.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 07:00 PM

Not every one can aford to tip, I take a lot of client out who use to go to other guids who charge a lot more then me and thy just cant afraid to go with them any more do to the high price and yes spud is correct when you start to add stuff up you really dont make much my insurance is pretty expensive. Like spud i do fish it just not my main concern the customer is. some guys want to lean as much as they can so they can do it them selfs with there family other could care less they just want fish in the boat. More then One if it was not for me and my son customers would have gone home with 10 in 8hrs. because they dont want to listen and just do there own thing. I am sure i am not the only one who gets these guys. Even thou people try to tip me alway try to give it back as they are paying me all ready like the one poster said all ready. Even with all the little things you do i feel its part of the service they are paying for. I had to once cast for a guy because he just could not get the hang of it. when tips are given no one will take it back so I ask them to give it to my son he's 13 and does a lot he is one of the hardest workers I have meet. Freeman Clark can attest for that. I pay him a little for helping out but he really like it when the guys tip him. I just dont feel there is anything in the boat that I do is over and above the scope of what we are paid to do. i dont need to bait the hooks because every one loves the smell and not worried about it. I have yet to have one who was not happy to do it. but I do take the fish off the hook or at least try most tell me or my son that they have it just pass the towl I much be doing something write because almost all the customers i get are referrals of other customers and repeat customers. I have yet to have any one go home with less then 40 fish at the end of the day and 95% of the people are done at 12 do to being tired having more then enough fish or being hot. even thou the still have till 3 they are more then happy
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 07:22 PM

Chemdog here is a tip for you. Tell your people that the icechest they carried their drinks to the boat in is the same one the cans/bottles go home in!!!
Posted By: DaBears

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
In my opinion I hire a guide, not a friend. Ill pay you what you ask, not what I think your worth. Do you tip a car salesman because he gave you a little better deal than the guy at the dealer up the road or was friendlier, or let you take the truck overnight for a test drive, or let you tow your boat with it on test drive etc.? I doubt it.

Not doggin on guides, just saying I don't get where the notion to tip came from, I don't tip my A/C repair man either and his service is much more important to me than a fishing guide.

You are absolutely correct, Fishing Guides are a luxury and not a necessity like AC is in Texas!

Eating is a necessity, having someone serve it and cook it for you is a luxury.

Parking your car in the correct spot is a necessity if you do not want it towed, Valet is a luxury.

Fishing is a necessity, at least for us on this forum, but hiring a guide to drive you, clean your fish, supply your drinks, teach you how to use electronics, bait your hook, etc.....is a luxury.

I was actually a car salesman for a number of years and I have also worked in the service industry for a number of years. We may not agree or like tipping, just like we may not like or agree with taxes, but it is a part of our culture here in the states.

I love the idea of tipping because it lights a fire under the person providing the service to go above and beyond and give the best service possible. Being that tipped positions are generally associated with the LUXURIES of life, when I get the chance to save up for that annual fishing guide trip, fancy dinner, cruise vacation, 5 star hotel, I want people who are motivated at the opportunity to serve me because a good portion of their lively hood is on the line.

I am not wealthy and I work very hard. If I cannot afford a guide and the costs associated with a guide, I fish from shore.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 09:06 PM

most people are up in the boat picking up or asking if they can help in any way helping at least picking up the trash rolling up the ropes for the anchors that little stuff helps when your hurting and tired. this guy just stood there and watched. after we feed them and made sure they had planty of water. I do have a rule if it is hot i ask every one to drink at least a half bottle of water and hour. last thing i need is someone with heat exagusten or stroke. that day he was just pissing me off he had not control over his son, he didn't care what he did wile we were under power he sat on the bench behind me we weren't going fast do to all the stumps and it was 4-5 of water but i had the jack plate all the way up and the motor tilted in case we hit a stump he as is hands having over the transom it was hot that day and we were on the up part of the lake I think he was 11-12yr and he take his life jacket off and throughs it on the ground i stopped the boat and told his father he had to were it its the law I had to not so nicely tell him to pick his jack up and put it on or we were done for the day. this was just a night mare he coldnt use and open face reel so i brought a push button for him it took over 2 hrs of standing next to him teaching him over and over again how to use it. finally he got it and wanted to use and open face he gets frustrated and throughs it on the floor of the boat. dad agin acted like it didn't happen. later he through a fit because he cold not get a hook set. using a bobber he would just start to reel i stood next to him with my hand on the rod to do it for him so he knew how to do it those were the only fish he caught he was good at casting in the same spot looking hook sets after hook sets Dad was not much better he talk like he fished all the time but he was scared of taking hooks out really every time he held a fish to get the hook out what it would wiggel he would jump and he would not touch the fish with his bare hand. he had to have a Towl. wrapped around it even if it was 2 in we were out the the entire time first time ever so i was beat my son was beat. Being in the Sun take it out of you and after a while of them not listing i kind of gave up and let them do there own thing Oh forgot to tell you whay he only brought that much money he said ti was for the father day special he thought that because he called scheduled an a trip that week and then canceled 4 different times on me the day before. that I would honer the discount even thought i told him the price on the phone in an email and in text message I call every customer 4 days out and the day before to make sure they are still going and every thing is agreed upon then this guy just assumes i will honer a deal that is almost 2 month back

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 09:08 PM

Tom. most people are good about there trash and i dont mined if there are a few on the ground as long as it gets pick up before i leave the ramp
Posted By: tiny

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/04/15 10:29 PM

I don't ever expect a tip but some people tip me and it all varies to how much fun they have and stuff ... sometimes I get them 300 to 500 lbs of fish and get no tip and sometimes I work my seat end off and get them very little fish and get a pretty good sized tip. The most I've been tipped has been $500 and my trip fee was only like $300 and I'd say probably 40% of my trips I don't get tipped so it's mostly up to you how much you tip someone. I don't think it's expected as the captain but if there's boat crew they usually get tipped. I'd think that texoma stiper trips that last maybe 2 hours and they dump you back off at the dock and charge you around $500 wouldn't expect a tip at all as they're likely to take out 3 or 4 groups of folks per day doing that but I don't know about that for sure ... just heard the horror stories of folks that went out with some of those guys that didn't get to fish for more than an hour or so and the guide also helped them catch their limit to get rid of them faster ... I think they made them quit doing that though. They also have a lot more overhead than guides that don't have to be coast guard licensed too. So if you have a great time and feel like tipping then do so ... if you don't have a good time then don't ... it won't matter one way or the other. they won't not take you out again if you don't tip them.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 05:33 PM

I think tiny summed up what i was trying to say you should not me motivated to show them customers a good time because of posable25-100$ tip Most of use do our best to show you a good time and explain why were doing thing one way over an other. i ask people if they want to see the graph and how to tell balls of shad apart from others and how to jujde were they are at off the use of the side immage i show them how to tie several knots if they want to know even thou most of the time they just want to know how to make the loop in the leader lol I have ran in to a few of those so called guids who wanted to try my bait out to see is it is something they wanted to use one guy said he had this bit boat and the gear he had no trips so for a few gallons of bait. he would take my whole family out for the day when he showed up he had a john boat he brought no gear no gass no life jackets nothing we did not go fishing and he still though he was in titled to the bucker of bait.

If you feel you want to tip then go ahead and tip if you feel you got your moneys worth on the trip and enjoyed your self I have been on a trip were the deck hand sleep the entire time and would not do anything for anyone on the boat then the caption told us he needed to tip him when no one did he tired to give him the pick of the fish we caught wich was only 8 medium blues for 5 people there wee 2 other guys fishing as well wich i thought was weird on taking out more then 8 group at a time
Posted By: Blues

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: RangerBass21

That's crazy talk. You're telling me ever single waitress you've ever had deserved a tip? No way.

Same with guides, I've never taken a guided fishing trip, but I've been on several guided hunts. Guides don't get tips unless they work hard and deserve it.

Was going to book a trip once and in the fine print found a "gratuity" charge of $100. Asked the guy about it and he says yea that's the guides tip. How am I supposed to be ready to tip a person that I've never met? He says, "every hunter tips my guides, no exceptions!" Well I was the exception, I went else where.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 06:09 PM

Maybe im the odd man out I don't know. I can afford a trip, I can afford a tip. Guiding is a business, it is their job, if it doesn't make enough money then they should charge more or get into a different profession.

If I hire a guide I expect his 100% best all the time because that is what im hiring him for.

Question, For you guides out there, how many of you report your tips on your income? How many of you report ALL of your tips on your income?

Again nothing against guides, but when I hire you I want to pay you your fee up front cut and dry and be done with it, not pay you and then decide how much extra I think your worth at the end of the day. For me that amount will always be $0, because why would I pay more? When my A/C guy replaced my coil and got my house cool I didn't pay him for parts labor service call and a tip.
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 06:23 PM

Well I don't use a guide very often but when I do it usually is for entertaining some clients. I want my clients to have a fantastic time. This requires a guide that will really work his/her tail off!

I am really picky about guides and research them PRIOR to bookin a trip. I let my expectations be known and I will even help the guide if he/she allows as some of my clients hav'nt fished in years. Each to his own, but I expect a lot from any guide I hire and make that known up front.

I do not need a guarantee of catchin fish as that is icing on the cake. Now the tip, again I have done my research and have never been disappointed. When we git on the boat I give the guide an envelope with the fee and a healthy tip up front. It's more than 20% tip too. I have never had a time when a guide treated like this did not bust their tail to make the trip very enjoyable for my party.

Just all depends on what you want. Even with tipping, three or four persons splittin a trip is not that expensive.
Posted By: DaBears

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Maybe im the odd man out I don't know. I can afford a trip, I can afford a tip. Guiding is a business, it is their job, if it doesn't make enough money then they should charge more or get into a different profession.

If I hire a guide I expect his 100% best all the time because that is what im hiring him for.

Question, For you guides out there, how many of you report your tips on your income? How many of you report ALL of your tips on your income?

Again nothing against guides, but when I hire you I want to pay you your fee up front cut and dry and be done with it, not pay you and then decide how much extra I think your worth at the end of the day. For me that amount will always be $0, because why would I pay more? When my A/C guy replaced my coil and got my house cool I didn't pay him for parts labor service call and a tip.

Paying a guide his stated fee will get you his 100% effort.

Tipping a guide will get you 120%

You don't have to tip. A tip should never be forced since it should be based of the efforts of the person providing the service.

Back in the day when the cable man came to the house to hook up your television, if you paid only the service charge for him coming out to setup your TV, you would get 100% of the channels you subscribed to. If you through in a "tip", you would get 100% of the channels you subscribed to PLUS a few extras! This would also save you money in the long run since those extra channels never showed up on your bill.

I view tipping for services the same. I pay a lower cost and tip what I think the service is worth. This motivates someone to give you those extra efforts as well as ensuring that your next visit will be even better because then the last because the guide knows that you will treat him right.

I took a guide out of Florida, Grouper fishing. The guide was only allowed to go out 8 miles. within that 8 mile range, all fish caught were undersized and all the larger fish were holding in deep water almost 50 miles out. Because I took care of him the last time we were out, he risked it and drove us 50 miles out. We caught some of the largest grouper I had caught in my life and plenty of them. Had he not been working for his tip and all charges were already included in the cost of the trip, would he drive us 42 miles outside of the area he was allowed to fish? Probably not, afterall, 8 miles would be him giving it 100%.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 09:17 PM

If he gives his 120% he is dead. You should always give your all. How does he know weather to give 95% or 150% if you tip after the trip is over? Or are we supposed to tip before the trip?
Posted By: rsmith

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 09:22 PM

so your saying you bribed a cable guy to give you channels illegaly
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 09:27 PM

Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Originally Posted By: RangerBass21

That's crazy talk. You're telling me ever single waitress you've ever had deserved a tip? No way.

Same with guides, I've never taken a guided fishing trip, but I've been on several guided hunts. Guides don't get tips unless they work hard and deserve it.

Was going to book a trip once and in the fine print found a "gratuity" charge of $100. Asked the guy about it and he says yea that's the guides tip. How am I supposed to be ready to tip a person that I've never met? He says, "every hunter tips my guides, no exceptions!" Well I was the exception, I went else where.

Yes I tip everyone even if it was bad service , they don't get as much if it was good service, but still get a tip, I tipped a guy yesterday 10$ for fixing my wifi, you should seen it made his day
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/05/15 10:50 PM

If I am put on or chance to take an animal or fish I tip 20 bucks. If I get a group together, I add the 20$ tip into the total. 150 person I tell them its 170.that way my guide gets his 80 bucks whether they tip or not and I am in a positive note when I go back.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/06/15 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Lewisvillan
If I am put on or chance to take an animal or fish I tip 20 bucks. If I get a group together, I add the 20$ tip into the total. 150 person I tell them its 170.that way my guide gets his 80 bucks whether they tip or not and I am in a positive note when I go back.

thumb

Good deal. I don't have a problem paying guides a fair price for their efforts, its just not a tip its their fee.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/06/15 02:08 PM

Bad tippers are always remembered...and may not get to go back frown you can tell cause they respond with sorry I am booked for months..

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/06/15 07:02 PM

+1
Posted By: fishanhunt

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/06/15 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Lewisvillan

This is basically what we do. There's usually 4-5 of us that fish together with a guide somewhere every year. It usually works out pretty good I think.

I have had a bad guide at Padre Island that didn't get squat from me. I also had one guide at Texoma that I fished with at least 2 times a year for about 8 years and sent too many clients to count to him. He started using A-rigs one February about 3 years ago and we lost 4 or 5 of them while fishing around some submerged timber. It wasn't just us losing them.He lost 1 of them. he got all mad and told us we were costing him more than he was making. I know we tipped more than what 5 A-rigs cost, not counting the cost of the trip. I haven't used him since and have been telling everyone that I referred to him why.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Sam
Bad tippers are always remembered...and may not get to go back frown you can tell cause they respond with sorry I am booked for months..

Guides that do this are just plain stupid......Guide trips/lifelong clients are to valuable to worry about who is tipping what. I have clients that tip every time out, I have some that don't tip, but I may see them five times a year AND send me uncounted referrals. It all works out in the end.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 01:06 PM

I will add that I have a "do not take list". It has five people on it (over twenty years). They are on it because they were nasty people, not bad tippers.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Sam

A guide pulls that on me and I'm gonna bad mouth them every chance I get to anybody that will listen. Tips ain't mandatory I don't care what service is provided. This tip everybody no matter what is crazy. I guess my opinion would be different if I depended on guides to go fishing.
Posted By: Bminchew

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 03:17 PM

Here is the problem. If you look around most guides charge around the same day rate to remain competitive with other guides. Does this mean all guides are equal? NO, some guides have years of experience while others have months. Some guides have top of the line equipment while others have junk. Some guides are willing to share everything they know about fishing with you and teach you how to catch more fish. Others are get in, fish, get out. If you are in the 9-5 world experience, knowledge, and productivity pays more. In the guide world it all pays the same. So if you go with a guide who is willing to share his secrets and knowledge with you, treats you well, and is busting his butt then by all means tip him. Same as you should your waitress or anyone else who goes above and beyond to please you.

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bminchew
Here is the problem. If you look around most guides charge around the same day rate to remain competitive with other guides. Does this mean all guides are equal? NO, some guides have years of experience while others have months. Some guides have top of the line equipment while others have junk. Some guides are willing to share everything they know about fishing with you and teach you how to catch more fish. Others are get in, fish, get out. If you are in the 9-5 world experience, knowledge, and productivity pays more. In the guide world it all pays the same. So if you go with a guide who is willing to share his secrets and knowledge with you, treats you well, and is busting his butt then by all means tip him. Same as you should your waitress or anyone else who goes above and beyond to please you.

I agree 100%, that is what I was looking for. I never intended to start a tip/don't tip war. This has been the best advise so far, Thanks Bminchew, well said!
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 06:06 PM

one thing you must keep in mind is that some guides, especially ones who work for a guide service rather than independently don't make much per trip, so a tip is everything. I would suggest tipping your guide 15-20% unless he is absolutely awful, but other than that, please tip.
Posted By: K.G

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 06:38 PM

First off WELCOME to the TFF. I Feel I have too Chime in Here. If the Guide has {in your opinion} [censored] gear, not very sociable, get-in-get-out, and strikes a nerve w/ you BUT put's you on more fish than you can handle { Trophy's, Eater's} I would tip All the same as a Guide that Look's , Act's and Shares Knowledge .
The Point is to CATCH FISH, BLING or NOT. I think if you look hard enough you can find attributes that show the Guide is worth Tippin.2cents
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 06:44 PM

Agree!
I know a couple of guides like this and they always have return customers and are usually booked up.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Tipping Fishing Guides? - 08/07/15 06:48 PM

There are also guides that have other jobs or they are retired and do it just to get out of the house.
Then there are the full time guides that do it for a living.
You will as a rule get better results with the full timer and better service as well, but you may pay a little more also.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum