Texas Fishing Forum

Lewisville bad luck

Posted By: Jared D.

Lewisville bad luck - 07/27/15 01:29 PM

I dont have access to a boat right now so I have been putting out a trotline in about 4 foot of water for the last 3 weekends. I have had extremely bad luck and was looking for some opinions on my luck.

Starting three weeks ago I put out my first line. I wasnt being real serious I just wanted to catch some catfish to eat. Friday night I put hotdog and liver on 8 hooks. Came back Saturday morning with a softshell turtle. I re-baited Saturday night with 7 3-7 inch perch. Sunday morning all bait was still alive and still on the hooks. The next weekend I went back. Baited up Friday night with 7 live perch a little smaller in size maybe 3-5 inches. Saturday morning I go check it and I have all bait missing and a 2 foot gar. This last weekend I decide Im going to put a little more effort into it. I moved the trotline about 200 yards down from where it was, again in about 4 to 4.5 foot of water. I use 4 perch and 2 large shad cut in half. Saturday morning I have a gar and all bait missing. Saturday night I increase the trotline to 25 hooks. Bait it with whole and cut shad. Sunday morning I check it and all bait missing with 2 gar on it.

I have never had such a problem catching catfish. I've also never caught so many gar. You think my area just has too many gar right now?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Lewisville bad luck - 07/27/15 01:36 PM

Yep
Posted By: Bminchew

Re: Lewisville bad luck - 07/27/15 02:06 PM

It is tough to trotline in shallow water this time of year. Try setting your line out on a point or a bank that the wind is blowing into if you are not already.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum