Texas Fishing Forum

Nightcrawler rigs for catfish?

Posted By: Landon Frazier

Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/13/15 09:55 PM

How should I fish a night crawler for catfish ON THE BANK in a pond?
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/13/15 10:01 PM

I would use a Santee Cooper rig.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/13/15 10:01 PM

3/0 or 4/0 Khale hook or, 3/0-5/0 Octopus, or an Eagle Claw 42. Wad as many on the hook as you can. I'll stick 3 or 4 on a hook. Pinch some parts of them. Carolina rig with a 1/2 oz is my favorite.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/13/15 10:38 PM

Landon,do you know if anyone feeds the catfish in that pond?If so then fish about 2 1/2 feet deep with one rod and on bottom with another rod.The catfish in my pond will come to the top of the water when I walk up on the pond bank.
Posted By: Landon Frazier

Re: Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/14/15 12:00 AM

I don't think so, I know of a pond in Missouri on a golf course and the catfish will stick their heads out of the water expecting some sort of food. It's pretty neat.
Posted By: BCJC82

Re: Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/14/15 05:40 AM

I use a 4/0 circle hook and put a worm on it until the hook is covered then I pinch off what ever is left over and bend that over and push it down on the hook to where the point is showing. Doesn't waste worm and I have caught lots of blue and channel cats this way.
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/14/15 09:05 PM

Smaller hook for worms so hook doesn't cut up the worm into pieces. 1 to 2/0 are good enough, 3 way tight line rig is what I use.
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: Nightcrawler rigs for catfish? - 07/15/15 02:14 PM

I use a small hook, number 4. Thread the worm on, and up over the eye so that it hangs perfectly straight. Fish about 3 ft under a weighted float. Cast it around the edges, under trees, in shade, etc...

Yes you will catch other species too. But this is by far my favorite way to catch smaller cats (under 10 lbs)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum