Texas Fishing Forum

Do the packaged fish from walmart work?

Posted By: Landon Frazier

Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 08:18 PM

I have seen the little baby shad in the packages on the racks at Walmart and i have thought about trying them but I didn't know if they actually work. Has anyone tried them?
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Landon Frazier
I have seen the little baby shad in the packages on the racks at Walmart and i have thought about trying them but I didn't know if they actually work. Has anyone tried them?

I don't think a single fish has ever been caught with those. I've never heard of them working anyway. It might work in an overpopulated pond full of starving fish.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 08:46 PM

No better off buying live minnows before that packaged stuff. Or buy a cheap throw net and hit the ramps and marinas before daylight for shad.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 09:54 PM

Walk past the packaged shad at Wal-mart. Continue on towards the grocery section. In the refrigerated meats you will find chicken livers and hot dogs.

Either one will work just as well, if not better (and they're less expensive).
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 10:11 PM

They are embalmed!!
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 10:12 PM

Wallmart sells stink bait and live worms. Both are good for catfish.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 10:15 PM

Go to Fiesta or some similar market that sells seafood, ask for a piece of Buffalo. Have them scale it for you but tell them not to wash it. You want the oil in the meat.. Cut in 1" cubes.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 10:16 PM

Yes they work. I use them in a Havaheart live trap to catch feral cats. Once the smell gets around the neighborhood you will be covered in cats.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/10/15 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Yes they work. I use them in a Havaheart live trap to catch feral cats. Once the smell gets around the neighborhood you will be covered in cats.
roflmao
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/11/15 12:08 AM

I wonder how well they'd do in a crawfish trap. That's another great bait that just about anything will bite. But again, there's probably better cheaper options for even that.
Posted By: Ryan B

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/11/15 07:37 AM

Just get a tub of Stubbys and you will never ever go back to Walmart for bait again. Its a amazing bait. Get u a tub. You won't be disappointed
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/11/15 10:21 AM

Just go down to Academy and buy yourself a CAST NET, and look for one of those white plastic buckets that seem to be everywhere. If you can't find one they sell them also.
Use it right and you'll never need to buy bait!
Posted By: Illnoize

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/11/15 01:11 PM

Worst bait ever. Just catch some perch, shad, or carp instead
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/11/15 01:20 PM

I agree with everyone. The packaged shad are in a chemical that keeps them preserved. They don't work.

Go get some nightcrawlers, either use them for catfish bait or use them under a cork with a small hook in any pond or creek and catch perch.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/11/15 04:15 PM

Cast net = shad !!

backup bait : Chicken breast with skin on it.
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: Do the packaged fish from walmart work? - 07/12/15 11:54 PM

Freeze extra shad in ziplock bags and reuse later too... thawed cut shad works well too
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum