Texas Fishing Forum

Whats your favorite Cat rod?

Posted By: J.StoneRepairs

Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 03:04 PM

Any rod from the Cheapest to the most expensive. Just seeing what kind of rod everyone likes to use for bank and boat.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 03:22 PM

Pro Anglers and I have one C.F Whisker Seeker cat rod that I really like

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 03:37 PM

That Whisker Seeker is Sglass right?
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 04:31 PM

Pro Angler.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: J.StoneRepairs

Yes, it is S glass, I have one of the 2 pc MH rods that was released last year, I mainly use it for channel cats and eater blues but I have landed some blues in the 20's and a couple in the 30's and it handled them nicely, recently there is a new version of the rod that is a one piece heavy action, I will probably try one of those out as well, all my other rods are pro anglers and they are good durable rods and for the price they are hard to beat.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 04:48 PM

Tangling with catfish whisker whip
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 05:10 PM

Good old standby Ugly Stik. Can't beat them for the money. They will take a beating and handle anything in the lake.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 05:34 PM

Pro angler all the way for me.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 06:05 PM

Do you like the action on that Seeker Mike? I was thinking about getting a few if they're good for circle hooks
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 07:05 PM

Pro angler!!
Posted By: K.G

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 07:08 PM

Can't go wrong w/ Pro Angler. There 10' Rod's are hard to beat w/ Cork Handles and Finger trigger's for extra leverage.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 07:19 PM

Do you like the action on that Seeker Mike? I was thinking about getting a few if they're good for circle hooks

I do like the action, it has a softer tip and plenty of backbone to handle good fish, I have used it for drifting and anchoring with circle hooks and the rod performs well. I really like using it with slip corks because for me it gives me better control when I flip or cast my baits into rocks or timber. I also like the handle which is a composite cork. I haven't seen the new heavy rods other than the website but that also looks like it would be a good rod for drifting. As far as the PA rods go I use the Hvy rods for drifting and I have one of the Med rods that has a faster tip and it is also a good rod.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 07:30 PM

When I got.my pro anglers they only had M/h. I sold all of them a year or so ago.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 07:49 PM

Team catfish 1-ton series flag
Posted By: G Love

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 08:06 PM

Pro Angler M action. Still can pull 30lb blues outta thick cover. Haven't hung one over 30 on a M yet. If i'm flathead fishin with big bait I go back to the MH
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: G Love
Pro Angler M action. Still can pull 30lb blues outta thick cover. Haven't hung one over 30 on a M yet. If i'm flathead fishin with big bait I go back to the MH

X2. I have 2 of each, but I favor the mediums a little more!
Posted By: parttime

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 08:42 PM

Pro Angler.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 08:43 PM

Ugly Stiks for us...pro anglers are quality rods but need longer butts....but the PA's have better eyes....it's give and take, thumb

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 09:19 PM

Good info guys. Like to see everyone's opinions
Posted By: Drawout

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 09:27 PM

White ugly stiks and the Tiger ugly stiks
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/08/15 10:08 PM

I like the Pro Anglers. I have them in Med and Med/Hvy.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 12:40 AM

I don't have any cat rods per se... I just use some of my older rods that I don't really use for anything else anymore. Those and a couple of surf rods...don't get to the coast much anymore.
Posted By: Aus10

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 02:40 AM

Posted By: Robby E

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 03:12 AM

Ugly Stik Catfish for me
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 03:20 AM

Part time, why don't you post my video that's on your website of the pro angler in action!
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 04:58 AM

I would have to say Pro Angler
Posted By: parttime

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Part time, why don't you post my video that's on your website of the pro angler in action!

Here you go, Pro Angler Medium action rods at work!
Posted By: big10

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 12:42 PM

White ugly stiks for me but I have recently added a couple Team Catfish Thunder Cat rods and I really like them.
Posted By: olenarey87

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 12:59 PM

I love the Pro Anglers. I recently bought a Tangling With Catfish Extreme series rod also, and I think it is a beast, but a bit on the pricey side.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: olenarey87
I love the Pro Anglers. I recently bought a Tangling With Catfish Extreme series rod also, and I think it is a beast, but a bit on the pricey side.
Tangling with catfish are pricey but built like tanks.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 02:03 PM

Berkley E Cat. Can remember what # it is.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 02:17 PM

Well TWC rods are built for those rivers north of here, I believe. I agree Salsa, I would like another 2-3" on the butt of a PA. The old Thunder Cats felt like good rods but I felt like the 1/2 Ton was better.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: G Love
Well TWC rods are built for those rivers north of here, I believe. I agree Salsa, I would like another 2-3" on the butt of a PA. The old Thunder Cats felt like good rods but I felt like the 1/2 Ton was better.

That's why I use the whisker whip series. They are their "channel cat" rods, just a little heavier than a pro angler MH, but better eyes and reel seat.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 02:43 PM

Yeah, I've heard they're similar. The whip looks like it's probably a "higher end" built type rod. I like the reel seats and the guides for sure. It's mind blowing to me that those guys have to use those rods for Channel Cats w/ 4-6 ounces of weight. I use an Ugly Inshore M with 1/2-1 oz lol. Different parts!

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 03:15 PM

I'm about to get some BnM rods guys so I'll give yall a review.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 03:18 PM

I don't know if they have to use one that heavy due to current and sinker weight or what but their definition of medium heavy and ours is different for sure. Steve Douglas uses the blue heavier ones, which seem way too heavy for me, but like you said the smallest weight I've ever seen that guy use is a 6oz.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 03:22 PM

Yeah, it's becasue of the current that they have to fight up there. Which in turn, requires a lot of weight. Haha Steve's a BA. Still uses chicken liver like a champ.
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 07:47 PM

Jstone

The blanks on my signature series rods are composite blanks. They're a mixture of s-glass, graphite and carbon fiber.

S-Glass is stronger and lighter than e-glass and the graphite helps to reduce the weight as well and increase sensitivity. The carbon fiber also helps to cut the weight down, increase sensitivity and really beef up the durability of the rod blank.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 08:01 PM

Thanks Chad. Some good looking rods as well. I've watched your YouTube vids and you offer some great tips
Posted By: Dave P

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 09:03 PM

Pro Angler
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/09/15 09:15 PM

For an all around do all rod I would say white uglystick catfish rod for me. If im only hunting for the biggest one ive ever seen then ill go with my proangler, really great rod for the money.
Posted By: texguppy

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/10/15 03:25 PM

Rippin Lips. Can't beat free shipping with amazon.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/10/15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Originally Posted By: olenarey87
Tangling with catfish are pricey but built like tanks.

I had a couple and liked them. But one ended up breaking on the water, so we gave this one the ol' Danny King test, and it didn't fare too well lol

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/10/15 07:58 PM

They'll replace it if you call them, or they did for Paul anyway.

I wouldn't try that "Danny king" test on anything of mine, even the PA's, and the TWC are stiffer than them, you're crazy.
Posted By: Vess

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/12/15 01:14 PM

Im just glad that we have variety to choose from now. Shows alot of growth in the catfish fishing market. 20 or even 10 yrs. Ago, it was either homemade ideas or find what you can to hold up to these fresh water giants. From hooks to electronics, big changes. I have a mixture of fishing poles, weeding out the spin cast to bait casters, got a catfish warrior rod I love to use on tawakoni, and in shallow snag. Next are my pro angler heavys, then my medium action pa's then if I marked fish in an area close to the area I anchor on, I have a 10ft. Heavy spincast pa with braid on it for extra casting and control cause of the length. And 2 more 10ft. Spin cast king cat rods with mono. To feel out areas when the fish front boat you when your in a tournament and or fishing with a buddy lol.
Posted By: Vess

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/12/15 01:18 PM

Also my new rule is all eyes have to be stainless. I hate inserts! Boat beating running across the lake , load, unload truck, kids, big fish, weather, ill try almost any pole with stainless eyes !

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/12/15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Vess
Also my new rule is all eyes have to be stainless. I hate inserts! Boat beating running across the lake , load, unload truck, kids, big fish, weather, ill try almost any pole with stainless eyes !

Good point. Inserts don't stand up to the abuse like stainless. I've never lost a big one to a missing insert but I wouldn't use a rod if I knew one was missing. Now I've gotten rid of everything that wasn't stainless.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/13/15 02:19 PM

The Academy brand Roughneck rods are decent if you can get them on sale for $9.99, but they do have inserts. I had one missing an insert and noticed a small birds nest of fishing line that had been shaved off of my main line starting to accumulate at the eye. I stopped using rods with inserts after that.

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/13/15 02:45 PM

A quick fix for a missing insert is epoxy
Posted By: Got the Fever

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/30/15 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ
Ugly Stiks for us...pro anglers are quality rods but need longer butts....but the PA's have better eyes....it's give and take, thumb

So exactly which Ugly Stik rod are several of y'all talking about? Which one does Littlejohn use? And you use them for both big winter time blues and for hybrids? Is it the Catfish one with a pic posted previously? How long? Medium Heavy?

I'm looking to replace a lot of my good ole Academy Tournament Choice yellow rods. They've done well for as cheap as they were, but it's time for improvement before this winter.
Posted By: olenarey87

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 07/30/15 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Got the Fever
Originally Posted By: SalsaŽ

So exactly which Ugly Stik rod are several of y'all talking about? Which one does Littlejohn use? And you use them for both big winter time blues and for hybrids? Is it the Catfish one with a pic posted previously? How long? Medium Heavy?

I'm looking to replace a lot of my good ole Academy Tournament Choice yellow rods. They've done well for as cheap as they were, but it's time for improvement before this winter.

If you are looking to replace a lot quick it is tough to beat PA's for the price.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/01/15 06:02 AM

I like all my proangler rods all year but for channels i like my 30yr old eagle claw 8 foot rods with an old mitchell 300 reels it has great flexibility and good back bone my porringer are medium heave with penn s or ryobe reels
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/02/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Vess

+1
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/02/15 02:45 AM

Whatever is in my hand. My 52 lb came on an old bass rod

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/02/15 03:28 AM

My 57 was on a 10' can't remember the name cause catfish connection discontinued them. Had to let a 60+ go cause of winter conditions on a 7' American spirit saltwater series rod also discontinued. Some of my favorite rods have been done that way I guess cause they just didn't appeal to most people. There are so many rods no if you look online or your favorite tackle store that it's hard to make a decision for some. I try to keep it light enough for me to hold all day with a 6500 on it
Posted By: mad_catter1990

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/03/15 05:54 PM

Guess im the only one who loves Meat Hunter Custom Pros! Lol http://www.rfsportsinc.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=40&Category_ID=1
Posted By: central texas

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/03/15 11:15 PM

Ugly sticks for striper , hybrid and catfish. Inexpensive and can take a beating. Yet to be a disappointed customer thumb

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/04/15 04:43 AM

Pretty nice mad catter...a 12" butt grip though?
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/05/15 08:08 AM

8/9wt fly-rod blank built with a spinning or baitcasting reel seat.
Posted By: Got the Fever

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/06/15 10:04 PM

So who on here sells Pro Angler rods closest to Abilene? I can't find Bob's username that is in Azle. Anyone closer?

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/06/15 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Got the Fever
So who on here sells Pro Angler rods closest to Abilene? I can't find Bob's username that is in Azle. Anyone closer?

Copied off their website, not sure if numbers are up to date or not.

Other places you can get the Catfish Rods in person, no mail order
San Antonio, Tx call Oscar at 210-823-9315
San Antonio, Tx call John at A&J Outdoors 210-316-2962
Austin, Tx call Jeff at 512-627-6471
Red Oak/S Dallas call Fred at 972-765-1858 (Fred also does Reel Repair)
Azle, Tx call Bob at 817-319-7284
Cedar Creek, Tx call Carl at 214-878-9631
Posted By: Ingle777

Re: Whats your favorite Cat rod? - 08/07/15 01:59 AM

No doubt, by far the best rod I've ever used, and only Forty bucks with free shipping!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum