Texas Fishing Forum

Here's your chance....

Posted By: ChuChu1

Here's your chance.... - 06/22/15 06:28 PM

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20150622b

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/22/15 06:34 PM

Please take the survey at the end of the press release.
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Please take the survey at the end of the press release.
Done

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 12:33 PM

LOL two out of 179.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 01:24 PM

Done Got my 2 cents worth in.
Posted By: KQT

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 02:15 PM

Thanks for posting! I gave my 2 cents plus some as well!

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 07:06 PM

I honestly don't see anything happening for a few years, but maybe something for the future.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 08:39 PM

I honestly don't see anything happening for a few years, but maybe something for the future.
don't be too sure about it, the press release was sent out June 22 with a survey imbeded in it but it's open only until July 26, 2015. The final plan will be published in fall 2015.

I noticed many of the questions lumped HARVEST, HIGH CATCH, and large trophy catfish together, specifically to obtain max interest from all types of anglers to support for new regulations in a hurry. people tended to indicate high interest because they they thought their interests are included in the questionarec... But the devil is in the details.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bankfisher50
don't be too sure about it, the press release was sent out June 22 with a survey imbeded in it but it's open only until July 26, 2015. The final plan will be published in fall 2015.

I noticed many of the questions lumped HARVEST, HIGH CATCH, and large trophy catfish together, specifically to obtain max interest from all types of anglers to support for new regulations in a hurry. people tended to indicate high interest because they they thought their interests are included in the questionarec... But the devil is in the details.

I see that as severely limiting limits and possession. But I don't see it happening soon.
Posted By: DaleR

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 09:16 PM

Completed the survey.

And so begins the effort to take away one of the last fish species that is still regulated with the common man in mind. And the attempt to turn catfish into another Trophy species.
Posted By: central texas

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 09:50 PM

Done , thanks for posting
Posted By: Blues

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: DaleR
Completed the survey.

And so begins the effort to take away one of the last fish species that is still regulated with the common man in mind. And the attempt to turn catfish into another Trophy species.

You want money dumped into our targeted fish or not? Look at the stocking rates of Florida hybrid large mouth compared to stocking rates of blues and flathead. There's a reason tpwd spends so much time and effort on bass....money. Until catfish are viewed as a true lucrative industry for tpwd and others to make big money on, nobody is really gonna care much, plain and simple.

There is a new breed of cat fisherman. The tournament and trophy guys. Channel cats, a cane pole, and punch bait ain't gonna do it for people wanting to target trophy fish.

Old methods are being improved on, fisherman are getting smarter, and the equipment is 10x better. Add to that the population of cat fisherman has increased 10 fold. Methods need to be explored that can increase trophy size, maintain great trophy lakes, and build populations of trophy fish in lakes that need help.

I'm not impressed with what they've proposed so far. Sounds more like they want channel cat that are big enough for the table in every body of water, town ponds included. Sounds great for the kiddos and the channel cat guys, but I'm not convinced that's going to get the big money rolling that I believe cat fishing needs to improve.

Love or hate bass fishing, but look what those guys have done to their sport. Bass fisheries are improving daily, trophy and numbers. Look at all the lakes being stocked the last month.....all large mouth and striper.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Completed the survey.

You want money dumped into our targeted fish or not? Look at the stocking rates of Florida hybrid large mouth compared to stocking rates of blues and flathead. There's a reason tpwd spends so much time and effort on bass....money. Until catfish are viewed as a true lucrative industry for tpwd and others to make big money on, nobody is really gonna care much, plain and simple.

There is a new breed of cat fisherman. The tournament and trophy guys. Channel cats, a cane pole, and punch bait ain't gonna do it for people wanting to target trophy fish.

Old methods are being improved on, fisherman are getting smarter, and the equipment is 10x better. Add to that the population of cat fisherman has increased 10 fold. Methods need to be explored that can increase trophy size, maintain great trophy lakes, and build populations of trophy fish in lakes that need help.

I'm not impressed with what they've proposed so far. Sounds more like they want channel cat that are big enough for the table in every body of water, town ponds included. Sounds great for the kiddos and the channel cat guys, but I'm not convinced that's going to get the big money rolling that I believe cat fishing needs to improve.

Love or hate bass fishing, but look what those guys have done to their sport. Bass fisheries are improving daily, trophy and numbers. Look at all the lakes being stocked the last month.....all large mouth and striper.

That's designed to get more kids into the sport of fishing. More kids means more money. License sales, tax money, etc. Also supports more business and employment. The trickle down economics thing.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/23/15 10:31 PM

I understand kids are important for the sport and hope they do stock every little pond with as many channels as they can for kids and everybody really. BUT I don't think that trickle down affect will help us catch more fish over 50lbs in our lifetime.
Posted By: big10

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 12:11 AM

Well said blues!!

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 11:18 AM

I understand kids are important for the sport and hope they do stock every little pond with as many channels as they can for kids and everybody really. BUT I don't think that trickle down affect will help us catch more fish over 50lbs in our lifetime.

Maybe not, but we do need to keep a good flow of new anglers. And for what it's worth, you can have my share of big catfish. I only fish for small eaters.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 11:21 AM

Just thinking about stocking of fish and wonder why does TP&W need to continue stocking bass? If all the so called elite bass fishermen catch and release, why do they need "new" fish?

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 12:51 PM

Just thinking about stocking of fish and wonder why does TP&W need to continue stocking bass? If all the so called elite bass fishermen catch and release, why do they need "new" fish?

That's my biggest question for them when I ask why they haven't put new genetics in the blue and flathead population. A lot of our lakes have never had blues and flats stocked because they're naturally occurring, build a dam...you got catfish.

They tell me they don't stock them because most lakes are self sufficient with successful spawns. Basically they are there, so we don't need to stock..... So why stock large mouth every single year? They expect me to believe that the bass aren't spawning successfully? No way I believe that.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 05:55 PM

Completed the survey.

No I absolutely do not want for cat fishing do end up like Bass fishing. I have never understood how one feels they have accomplished something by having caught a genetically engineered fish from a hatchery or are the offspring from said non native fish.

I really believe we have lost sight of what it really means to love to fish and hunt. I truly truly most especially believe we are losing sight of what a "Trophy" fish or animal is.

Take deer for example what is a "Trophy" deer. Is it a 4 point or 8 point? Is it a 100" 8 point or is it a 300" 8 point? Due to the manipulation of the animals by genetic breeding and artificial feeding any or all of these can be had any time you want one. So what you shot a 200" deer, just means you have the money to do so, there is absolutely no real hunting accomplishment in doing so. That is unless you are hunting native free range, eating what mother nature provides deer, that was not born and breed under a protein feeder.

How about that bass fishing? When I was growing up and Florida strain bass were just beginning to be stocked a 5 lb. bass was considered a real good bass. Any thing over that had potential for putting on the wall as a "Trophy". These were of course native bass in there native environment. Now days a 5 lb. bass is nothing. No one even really begins to Oooh and Ahhh unless it at least 10 lbs. or more, and even a 10 lb. bass is not uncommon at all. This do to the artificial manipulation of the fish by Stocking a non native strain of bass. So what's a "Trophy" bass really mean anymore? Is catching a 10 lb. bass today the same angler accomplishment it was 30 years ago? I would have to say no it's not.

I ask you this:

Do you really want a fishery that is managed for "Trophy" catfish? What is your angling accomplishment in catching a large catfish in a Lake that is managed and manipulated to produce large "Trophy" catfish from genetic strains produced in a hatchery?

The whole point of a "Trophy" fish or animal is that it be a rare thing. If you can go out on a lake and readily catch 20, 30 40 whatever pound catfish where is the "Trophy" status in those fish. There is none, they become just another catfish. Or just another 200" deer, just another 10 lb. bass. Sure thing folks it's fun to do so but where is the "Trophy" angler accomplishment in it?

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 07:16 PM

So we should all be satisfied with 3 to 5lb fish and maybe once in a lifetime catching one over 50lbs? I spend too much time and money chasing big catfish to be happy with that.

You brought deer into the discussion. It's not a secret that the only reason the white tail are doing so good all around the state is tpwd. The ONLY place in Texas that has never had deer stocked is the king ranch. No they didn't stock genetically alerted 300" freaks.

Bringing in different genetics causes hybrid vigor that's needed in the gene pool. Studies have shown some lakes with catfish over 20 yrs old that are 18" long, those lakes could use some new genetics.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 07:43 PM

I would be absolutely against managing the lakes to produce trophy catfish. That would be just like bass are managed today. You can see how that has turned out. I would be supportive of protecting trophy catfish. But I believe the fishery should be managed for the production of eating sized fish.
The genetics of Texas blue cats are as good as it gets for Texas waters. The food base is the issue with growth rates, not genetics.

There are many many more people that cannot afford to spend "too much time and money " to chase trophy catfish than those that can. It's not about money and who has the fastest boat. That's for bass fishing.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 07:59 PM

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 10:01 PM

It's not a pizzing match, it's about sensible fishery management, not management for the elite, but for everyone.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 10:05 PM

Why not manage any fishery for the carrying capacity of the environment and overall health of the fishery and the then the size of the fish will be what the natural environment that particular fish is in can support.

I can not support manipulating a species either by genetics/breeding, or feeding programs just so that I can consistently catch/kill/harvest the so called "Trophy" specimens. At that point they are not "Trophies" they are no different than the beef cattle out in the pasture.

Blues, I am not playing my fish is better than your fish. It does not matter to me if you want to target only the largest specimens, by all means go for it. I am simply stating my thoughts on what a Trophy really is to me.

Please just tell me what is wrong with simply managing the fish for as close to a naturally occurring size, age, and population count as the body of water will support. And whatever sizes and numbers of fish a body of water has in it is whatever that comes out to be. Why must man manipulate everything to be the biggest and baddest why does everything have to a competition? Pretty soon if we keep going this way the only fish left that you go catch without some one telling you should of let it go, or let it grow more year will be perch. Well that is until perch become seen as Trophy fish.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/24/15 10:58 PM

Well said DaleR thumb
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/25/15 05:53 PM

Has anyone seen any results published from the 3 lakes that have had the slot limit for years now???? I'm not talking about "I think this" or "I think that", I'm talking about REAL scientific facts based on creel surveys, number of larger fish caught (or not), and impact on other species in the lake. I sure have not seen them if they are out there. Honestly, I think it would take a decade to come up with a definitive answer on exactly what the slot limits will accomplish. I'm not for any management practice that is not based on sound science. Look at what has happened to the Gulf Of Mexico fishery. You have all these groups looking out for their own little part of the fishery. It has caused absolute chaos. I realize that this is a "RIGHT NOW" world. Everybody wants their particular issue put at the top of the list. The fact is when you are studying an ecosystem and how changing one part of that ecosystem will effect the rest, it just takes time to figure out the right answer. I enjoy catching monster catfish as much as the next guy. I'm all for it if the science makes sense. I'm absolutely NOT for creating another fishery managed like largemouth bass. Just thinking about keeping a green fish to eat can get you killed on some lakes. That's ridiculous and has no place in the catfish world. Historically TP&W has done a pretty good job managing the wildlife resources of Texas. TP&W's weakness has always been communication. I think that is what we are seeing here. They have an idea of where they need to go, they just suck at communicating that idea. I just hope they make the right decision based on science and not pressure from a select group.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/27/15 05:32 AM

I agree.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/27/15 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: kubroe
Has anyone seen any results published from the 3 lakes that have had the slot limit for years now???? I'm not talking about "I think this" or "I think that", I'm talking about REAL scientific facts based on creel surveys, number of larger fish caught (or not), and impact on other species in the lake. I sure have not seen them if they are out there. Honestly, I think it would take a decade to come up with a definitive answer on exactly what the slot limits will accomplish. I'm not for any management practice that is not based on sound science. Look at what has happened to the Gulf Of Mexico fishery. You have all these groups looking out for their own little part of the fishery. It has caused absolute chaos. I realize that this is a "RIGHT NOW" world. Everybody wants their particular issue put at the top of the list. The fact is when you are studying an ecosystem and how changing one part of that ecosystem will effect the rest, it just takes time to figure out the right answer. I enjoy catching monster catfish as much as the next guy. I'm all for it if the science makes sense. I'm absolutely NOT for creating another fishery managed like largemouth bass. Just thinking about keeping a green fish to eat can get you killed on some lakes. That's ridiculous and has no place in the catfish world. Historically TP&W has done a pretty good job managing the wildlife resources of Texas. TP&W's weakness has always been communication. I think that is what we are seeing here. They have an idea of where they need to go, they just suck at communicating that idea. I just hope they make the right decision based on science and not pressure from a select group.

Well spoken. texas

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/27/15 02:21 PM

TP&W will go the direction the loudest voice tells them.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/27/15 08:17 PM

That survey was written with the express intention of confirming their desired results. I filled out the survey and let them know of my displeasure. There clear aim is to use the results to justify an increase in their community fishing program, which I think most of us support. The bottom line kids are not fishing these days, and they are not fishing when they grow up and license sales are hurting. I think they could make better use of their dollars by eliminating the winter truck stockings and concentrate on stocking sustainable fish.

It doesn't address the some of the other key issues that need to be addressed. I would love to see a 50 hook per a boat limit. I have seen boats running hundreds of jugs at Tawakoni. I would also like to see the 30 - 45" slot limit applied to Tawakoni. I would like to see a single fish limit applied to noodling for 11 months out of the year and catch and immediate release season applied to hand fishing during a month long spawning period. I would also like to see blue catfish stocked in Arlington. That would definitely increase urban fishing opportunities.

Re: Here's your chance.... - 06/27/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
That survey was written with the express intention of confirming their desired results. I filled out the survey and let them know of my displeasure. There clear aim is to use the results to justify an increase in their community fishing program, which I think most of us support. The bottom line kids are not fishing these days, and they are not fishing when they grow up and license sales are hurting. I think they could make better use of their dollars by eliminating the winter truck stockings and concentrate on stocking sustainable fish.

It doesn't address the some of the other key issues that need to be addressed. I would love to see a 50 hook per a boat limit. I have seen boats running hundreds of jugs at Tawakoni. I would also like to see the 30 - 45" slot limit applied to Tawakoni. I would like to see a single fish limit applied to noodling for 11 months out of the year and catch and immediate release season applied to hand fishing during a month long spawning period. I would also like to see blue catfish stocked in Arlington. That would definitely increase urban fishing opportunities.

I think a single fish over 30" for any method.
Posted By: Dave Terre

Re: Here's your chance.... - 07/03/15 01:13 PM

All,

Thank you for reading this draft plan and taking the survey. TPWD conducted a statewide catfish angler survey in 2010 to seek out the needs and desires of Texas' Catfish anglers. We've also conducted numerous studies on catfish and have been experimenting with some harvest regulations, stocking strategies, and habitat work. All these information resources (your opinions and good science) formed the basis for this draft plan. We just want to keep catfish fishing great in Texas. To do that, we need to properly manage these resources so they will continue to be available for future generations of anglers ( our kids). TPWD has no hidden agendas here. We work for you and want your opinions on this matter. That's the whole point of this survey. We're trying to communicate with you, our customers, and provide great fishing opportunities for everyone, We clearly understand that different anglers want different things. We think we can provide all those things, with proper fisheries management. Please support us in this effort and call me if you have any questions - 512-389-4855

Dave
Posted By: Reeladdict15

Re: Here's your chance.... - 07/03/15 02:36 PM

Nice thread
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum