Texas Fishing Forum

Rod and reel for catfish

Posted By: marced

Rod and reel for catfish - 06/20/15 03:36 AM

Let me know what you use and what a kid might use. Length line weight ect.
Posted By: Moose364

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/20/15 10:45 AM

I use a Zebco Omega Pro on a allstar 6.5 MH rod, with 12# Cajun Red line. They are perfect for a Kid to an adult
Posted By: CajunPOG

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/20/15 12:15 PM

I got my nephew a 6'6" MH All-Star Classic spinning rod and Mitchell 300 reel with 12lb Berkley Big Game and he's been tearing them up all year.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/20/15 03:18 PM

Closed faced reels are a pain, I always try to get a kid to use a simple spinning reel and rod. I prefer to use a 20# to 30# braid depending on the size of the reel/spool as it gives great abrasion resistance and since there is no stretch in the line, a late hook set or a weak hookset will be enough to set the hook.

Depending on the age, I try to keep rod length short so that they can cast for themselves without needing a lot of room to avoid hitting others with the rod. When it comes to cat fishing, you do not have to go expensive on the set up.

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/20/15 05:20 PM

Thx for the info.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/20/15 11:27 PM

#1 braid spinning reels
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/20/15 11:46 PM

channels? blues? bank? boat?

different answers for all...
Posted By: Fishin Cowboy

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/21/15 12:17 AM

Got a few bass pro cat busters. 8' mh with 30# power pro. Like those ok but theyre overkill for 3-4# channels. For them I have an old 7' Mitchell spinning combo with 30# braid, think i picked it up for $25 10 years ago. For a kid, something like that would be just fine. Head in to Academy and look around. Wont take ya long to find what youre lookin for
Posted By: 7777

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/21/15 12:54 AM

Start him out with a zebco 33.
Posted By: opus

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/21/15 01:52 AM

Wally world Shakespeare Durango $10 15-20# braid, which ever rod they can handle(longer the better). Ive used these reels over 10 yrs never one problem best channel cat reel there is in my opinion

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/21/15 03:17 AM

More info we are in a boat. The reel is a 33 with 10 lb line on a 5 1/2 foot rod. I dont think i have enough rod from what you guys are saying. We are usually fishing live shad under a slip cork. I have been wanting to go to an open faced rod for him but dont want the frustration yet.
Posted By: opus

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/21/15 03:26 AM

Put him a 5gal bucket in the yard tell him youll take him fishin when he can hit the bucket 4 out of 5 tries from about 20 ft worked for mine. Whole lot easier on land,underhand pitch easist to learn
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/21/15 04:56 PM

The Zebco 33 has been around forever, but is not a great reel. When you wind the handle, the line must catch on one of two pins and then wind on the spool. Teaching a kid to use a true spinning reel will carry him much farther much faster when fishing.

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/21/15 10:36 PM

Got a 6.5 foot MH rod with a spinning reel. I bet we can get them in with that.
Posted By: CrappieAddict

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/23/15 07:14 AM

I use 7' medium-heavy ugly sticks with Abu Garcia reels. Don't know the model but they are light blue and hold the most line. I use 30lb mono main line and 50lb mono leaders. I fish for bigger fish but the heavier line works for the small cats too. For a kid, 5-6 foot rod with a spinning reel. 20lb main line for cats.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/23/15 12:05 PM

For my little ones I just took a couple of my rods and wrote their name on it. It keeps them happy and they can feel in the fish no problem. I just have to cast for them. I will have to find something else when they get a little bigger. One Barbie pole going overboard is enough for me.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Rod and reel for catfish - 06/23/15 02:50 PM

From my experience with my kids and now grand kids. Go with the mindset that you aren't going to do much fishing yourself. After a few learning trips (was mostly me learning patience) it gets a lot easier. and you wind up with some great memories and some awesome fishing buddies. as far as equipment. Mine got ZEBCO 33's cheap rods. yep I know they can be a pain. but you don't want to get something they have trouble figuring out and turning them off to fishing. Once they catch on they'll move on to the other stuff. In fact, you may have to lock your stuff up to keep them out of it. I do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum