Texas Fishing Forum

Jetskies

Posted By: Eric BBQMAN

Jetskies - 06/17/15 08:02 PM

Seen some idiots haulin butt right next to my jugs. Next thing you know they turned around and were pulling one of my jugs out. So I push the throttle down headin right for them and they just keep on pullin on it. I get to them and ask what the @#!% they think they are doing. The guy tells me that there's a fish on the jug and he wants to show it to his son. So I kindly in loud language explain to him that the jug is mine and private property. I just don't know what goes on in some peoples brains. If I had not been running my jugs I probably would have lost that cat.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Jetskies - 06/17/15 08:51 PM

Have you heard the expression, "you can't fix stupid!"

Best you can do is try to find a different place to put out the jugs where they are less likely to be easy to access to the jet skiers or anyone else.

Good luck with that!
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Jetskies - 06/17/15 11:32 PM

Should have took a short phone video and then called the game warden. GW would love to write him a big ol ticket. Maybe even more than one if the guy didn't have his watercraft card and all the other stuff in order.

Re: Jetskies - 06/18/15 02:56 PM

Yeppers. Ignorant people can ruin a fishing trip. That jug had a 12 lb blue on it.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Jetskies - 06/18/15 03:30 PM

I would have taken a photo of him pulling it up and then called the GW. As soon as he starts pulling on it he's fishing.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Jetskies - 06/18/15 03:44 PM

Operation Game Thief is your friend. Only one phone call away.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Jetskies - 06/18/15 07:31 PM

The worst part about it is in his mind he wasn't doing anything wrong... If it aint yours leave it alone.
Posted By: t0591tb

Re: Jetskies - 06/18/15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric BBQMAN
Yeppers. Ignorant people can ruin a fishing trip. That jug had a 12 lb blue on it.

I will probably be banished or chastised for saying this, but really? You consider going to a lake, placing jugs out, then leaving the area a fishing trip? Where is the fun? The sport? To each their own, but to me, fishing is the challenge of tossing out a line, waiting for a bite, and reacting at just the right time to hook the fish and reel it in.

Just to address the ignorant part of the comment, not everybody who visits lakes is a fisherman, nor do they study fishing rules before they go out. Yes, they were ignorant. Did they deserve a tongue lashing, maybe not? Perhaps a calm explanation that jugs are private property and that there are laws against messing with them would have been well received?

As for ruining the fishing trip, it sounds like it made it ten times more fun by adding challenge and excitement to his trip!!!!
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Jetskies - 06/18/15 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: t0591tb
[quote=Eric BBQMAN]Yeppers. Ignorant people can ruin a fishing trip. That jug had a 12 lb blue on it.

I will probably be banished or chastised for saying this, but really? You consider going to a lake, placing jugs out, then leaving the area a fishing trip? Where is the fun? The sport? To each their own, but to me, fishing is the challenge of tossing out a line, waiting for a bite, and reacting at just the right time to hook the fish and reel it in.

Just to address the ignorant part of the comment, not everybody who visits lakes is a fisherman, nor do they study fishing rules before they go out. Yes, they were ignorant. Did they deserve a tongue lashing, maybe not? Perhaps a calm explanation that jugs are private property and that there are laws against messing with them would have been well received?

As for ruining the fishing trip, it sounds like it made it ten times more fun by adding challenge and excitement to his trip!!!!

Perhaps the ignorant comment was directed at the gentleman for running a fishing devise that did not belong to him. Maybe ignorant was too mild. I say it was stupid to teach his kid to commit a crime.

Every person is required to know the rules BEFORE getting on the water. Ignorance (there's that word again) is no excuse.
If it don't belong to you, keep your grubby hands off. Period!
Posted By: Blues

Re: Jetskies - 06/19/15 11:43 AM

So since you don't jug it ain't fishing and since they don't know the laws they can pull his jugs?

I don't jug or run trot lines but ain't messing with other people's stuff, that's crazy.

Re: Jetskies - 06/19/15 01:26 PM

Yeppers. I run jugs all the time, but I pole fish even more. Runnin jugs is the only way for my family to fish and have fun together. My wife and girls wont even go with me if I'm just pole fishing. It's a blast seeing a family member pull up a big blue and get soaked when the fish goes nuts. I also put jugs out for to insure I have some fish to take home. There's been many times that I got smoked on poles that the jugs saved the day. I would rather catch fish on poles than any other way, but at the end of the day catching a fish on a jug is a whole lot better than no fish.
Posted By: t0591tb

Re: Jetskies - 06/19/15 04:02 PM

Yeppers. I run jugs all the time, but I pole fish even more. Runnin jugs is the only way for my family to fish and have fun together. My wife and girls wont even go with me if I'm just pole fishing. It's a blast seeing a family member pull up a big blue and get soaked when the fish goes nuts. I also put jugs out for to insure I have some fish to take home. There's been many times that I got smoked on poles that the jugs saved the day. I would rather catch fish on poles than any other way, but at the end of the day catching a fish on a jug is a whole lot better than no fish.

Sounds like I should educate myself on how to properly jug fish! Maybe set some out near my hole next time I can get on to the lake and see what happens. I haven't tried for any blues yet, but have the urge. Well stated Eric. Thank you.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Jetskies - 06/19/15 09:29 PM

Nothing wrong with a few jugs. Those that put out 200 should be forced to wear a giant dunce cap.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Jetskies - 06/20/15 05:54 AM

It was stupid to pull a jug line.
On the other hand if he was just pulling it to show his son a fish what harm was done.
You explain to him what the rules are because he is ignorant as heck and tell him to
go ahead and show his son the fish and t it back in the water and don't ever pull another one.

Re: Jetskies - 06/20/15 03:46 PM

It's easy to lose a fish on a jug, especially if it's a biggun. Sometimes they are not hooked good. Sometimes you have to play the fish to get him in. When I first started juggin I lost some from getting to excited pulling them in. The guy was an idiot. I try to know the law in whatever I am doing.
Posted By: Southtxangler22

Re: Jetskies - 06/20/15 04:13 PM

Yea if your pole bends over, and I reel it in just to show my son. You're ok with that lol? Doubtful. Same thing as a jug. They should be marked with the persons name and address and phone number, if that info doesn't match your info, you don't touch it....period. You meet ppl at a cleaning station to show someone a fish. Or even better, sell the jet ski, grab a flat bottom and teach the kid to fish. I run jugs all the time, and like mentioned above, I've seen jugs getting a hit and when I checked it, lost the fish in process. Just like casting bait on a Rod and reel, gotta put the jug in the right place. The beauty in jugs is they are the best fish finders. I'll put a couple in areas im interested in fishing. If one of the areas is hot on the jugs, I can pull the jugs, anchor and fish Rod and reel. Great tools.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Jetskies - 06/21/15 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Southtxangler22
Yea if your pole bends over, and I reel it in just to show my son. You're ok with that lol? Doubtful. Same thing as a jug. They should be marked with the persons name and address and phone number, if that info doesn't match your info, you don't touch it....period. You meet ppl at a cleaning station to show someone a fish. Or even better, sell the jet ski, grab a flat bottom and teach the kid to fish. I run jugs all the time, and like mentioned above, I've seen jugs getting a hit and when I checked it, lost the fish in process. Just like casting bait on a Rod and reel, gotta put the jug in the right place. The beauty in jugs is they are the best fish finders. I'll put a couple in areas im interested in fishing. If one of the areas is hot on the jugs, I can pull the jugs, anchor and fish Rod and reel. Great tools.

Pure Truth. Thank-you.
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: Jetskies - 06/22/15 12:43 AM

it was dumb of him, but it was a good opportunity to explain to him the in and outs of jug etiquette. he probably wasn't meaning to be harmful.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Jetskies - 06/22/15 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: UrsusVeritas
it was dumb of him, but it was a good opportunity to explain to him the in and outs of jug etiquette. he probably wasn't meaning to be harmful.

I have some Jugg/Trotline etiquette for ya.
After I explain. ITS NOT YOURS! Leave it alone."
Then I knock you off your Jetsky. To show my Son, Daughter. How to ride.
One. Without trespassing. On, other folks Property.
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Jetskies - 06/22/15 06:50 AM

I don't think anyone respects jugliners. To most people it looks like your just going around putting empty containers in the lake for a racetrack bouy or to get snagged in a boat propeller. You should put some type of security device on your pool floats so that when someone grabs it an alarm sounds and it squirts out purple dye. That'll teachem
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Jetskies - 06/22/15 07:02 AM

I don't think anyone respects jugliners. To most people it looks like your just going around putting empty containers in the lake for a racetrack bouy or to get snagged in a boat propeller. You should put some type of security device on your pool floats so that when someone grabs it an alarm sounds and it squirts out purple dye. That'll teachem
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Jetskies - 06/22/15 10:16 PM

GeeeeeZZZZZZZZZZZ..................
Posted By: Suvi

Re: Jetskies - 06/23/15 05:34 PM

Sounds like I should educate myself on how to properly jug fish! Maybe set some out near my hole next time I can get on to the lake and see what happens. I haven't tried for any blues yet, but have the urge. Well stated Eric. Thank you.

...maybe when you see one out there, go pull on it to see how it's done.

bolt
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum