Texas Fishing Forum

Chum for catfishing!

Posted By: Knot Normal

Chum for catfishing! - 06/17/15 01:29 AM

Next month I'm going to be Rayburn for a week or so. I want to bait up some holes to take the grandkids catfishing besides the crappie fishing. Need recommendations for chum and baiting a hole. I have used range cubes in the past and sour chicken scratch. Any tips would be appreciated
Posted By: opus

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/17/15 02:02 AM

Well if ya gonna use hen scratch Id get some water and yeast on it NOW,thats the best two I know of Whats the question?

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/17/15 02:07 AM

Would you use hen scratch loose or in a burlap bag?

I noticed you told someone to use unweighted hook in an earlier thread, what depth of water for that is there a maximum?

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/17/15 03:13 AM

Loose -----Dont know max I was fishin in 30ft of water that was with Stubbys if too windy I will use a 1/4 oz split shot. I believe a lot of punchbait floats (which I dont use anymore)

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/17/15 03:25 AM

Thanks, I'm going to order some stubby's. Wrote down the number just a few minutes ago.

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/17/15 03:27 AM

Better get a couple and some of these -http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Lot-Red-Fishing-Hook-Carbon-Steel-Treble-Jig-Hooks-Fishhook-2-4-6-8-10-/111548046604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19f8c81d0c

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/17/15 03:22 PM

Ok Thanks, ordered some hooks and talked Mrs Stubby and ordered some bait. Thanks again!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/24/15 09:22 PM

Cottonseed cake in either a burlap bag or an onion sack will hold channel cats. Good luck and be safe.
Posted By: brazosriverrat1985

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 06/26/15 04:26 PM

how much does cottonseed cake cost anyhow
Posted By: Illnoize

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/01/15 06:14 AM

I hear it's expensive and hard to find
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/01/15 03:17 PM

Soured maze has always been my go to chum. It needs to ripen for a few days though, and you can speed the process by pouring in a can of beer with the water.

Get another plastic bucket that you have pre drilled holes in and put the chum into the bucket with a lid. You can place a rock inside also to help weigh it down. Attach a rope so you can retrieve the bucket later and not litter the lake.

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/01/15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Cottonseed cake in either a burlap bag or an onion sack will hold channel cats. Good luck and be safe.
They told me at the feed store cattle cubes have cottonseed in um
Posted By: cbag1

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/01/15 05:42 PM

Can chum get too ripe? I soured some scratch about a month ago and it went past smelling soured to the point of knocking a buzzard off a gut wagon. I have always preferred wheat but couldn't find any here. Have used the scratch twice on Canyon with no results.

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/01/15 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: cbag1
Can chum get too ripe? I soured some scratch about a month ago and it went past smelling soured to the point of knocking a buzzard off a gut wagon. I have always preferred wheat but couldn't find any here. Have used the scratch twice on Canyon with no results.
No the older the better, ya have to chum close to where fish are
Posted By: BIGHAWK

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/02/15 02:46 AM

Maze with yeast in a 5gal bucket. Let it sit for about 3 weeks. Or range cubes from feed store. I've been doing that an then use Chemdawg cheese dough bait an reel them in.

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/03/15 01:24 AM

yep! when you open it up and the funk rushes out and knocks you to your knees its almost ready!

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/03/15 01:59 AM

Just FYI beer has NO YEAST in it your just wastein beer, use yeast if ya want to speed it up
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/03/15 04:35 AM

I take a 5 gallon bucket a pack of cheap year from HEB and milo fill the buck a little ore ten half way with milo and the pack of yeast fill to almost full of water lay the lid on or let it have a gap when you close it the gasses with pop the top right off in a few days it take about 2 week in the sun i putting a black bag over it will help it speed up the process i put the buckets stacked up in my back yard the next day check to see if the milo sucked up all the water add more water and stir every 3 days stir it then put it in the back do use beer its wast lol year i cheaper if you know any one with a sams club you can get 2 hug packs of yeast for 4$ or so i think milo works better then scratch think the scrach swells a bit much and i think yeast wick works well is a soft grain and the stench washes out faster Ionly say that because when i toss out mile the fish have bigger belly then when i use wheet but just about any grain will work a bag of milo is 10$ or so wheat is 13 or so i am cheap i have about 8-12 bucks in my back yard and am going to do up 4-5 more tomorrow

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/03/15 01:08 PM

Black 30 gal plastic trash can works great
Posted By: Reeladdict15

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/03/15 02:38 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/03/15 07:30 PM

I buy the el cheapo wild bird seed at Home Depot in 20 lb bag. Fills a 5 gallon bucket a little over half full. Add water and let sit for as long as it takes to turn black and the smell strong enough to gag a maggot. I have some that is almost 2 years old. Bout time to start a new batch. I try to keep at least 3 five gallon buckets.
When I go to lake I will fill a couple of the large plastic pepsi bottles and use those to chum out an area. Those bottles help keep this nasty stuff off of me and my boat. Don't use too much chum. Just enough to bring them in and trigger their feeding frenzy.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/04/15 05:13 AM

I tried to chum for the first time yesterday. Used cattle cubes. Caught a turtle. frown
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/04/15 05:30 AM

I've never used range cubes, but keep a supply around for cattle.

Do you ferment the range cubes like maize or use them dry?

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/04/15 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Fritz423
I've never used range cubes, but keep a supply around for cattle.

Do you ferment the range cubes like maize or use them dry?
Dry

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/04/15 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I tried to chum for the first time yesterday. Used cattle cubes. Caught a turtle. frown
How many places did ya chum ?

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/06/15 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: opus
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
How many places did ya chum ?

One. Then went looking for bass. Came back and fished the chummed area ~1 hour later. I was going to chum a couple other places but the wind sort of put that to an end.

I'm open to any advice yall want to give.

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/06/15 01:37 AM

Chum 4 places by the time ya finish #4 #1 should be ready nothin there in 20 min go to 2 and so on if ya get to 4 and still zip chum 4 more same routine till ya find um Id start with points with wind blowin into it
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/06/15 02:09 AM

Do you have to spoil the range cubes or just put them in???

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/06/15 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: opus
Chum 4 places by the time ya finish #4 #1 should be ready nothin there in 20 min go to 2 and so on if ya get to 4 and still zip chum 4 more same routine till ya find um Id start with points with wind blowin into it

I'll try this next time we head out. How much chum do you put out?

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/06/15 02:20 AM

2 or 3 handfulls is what I use I know others that put half a bag on one side of boat and half a bag on the other side but its a hole they fish 2 or 3 times a week and they know fish are there, we did kill um there they looked like they were about to pop and still biting so I really dont think ya can over chum

Re: Chum for catfishing! - 07/06/15 03:05 AM

Thanks for the info. We'll try to put it to use on Waco this Thursday.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum