Texas Fishing Forum

Need some help from you catfish guys

Posted By: Rhino68W

Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/16/15 09:02 PM

Going to a cabin with the family at Lake Whitney in a couple weeks and I want to be able to possibly catch some Catfish from the bank. What kind of rig should I look into using for this? I've hardly ever catfished.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/16/15 09:11 PM

Also, the area we will be fishing has a lot of rocks by the shore. Don't really know what lies off the banks though.
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/17/15 01:25 AM

All this rain , you never kno just use the gear you have with some 20 lb line and a size 6/8 circle hook!
Catch some bait cut it up grab a cold one and hang on!!!
Posted By: john525

Re: Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/17/15 02:23 AM

Here's my setup. It works in just about any place I fish. pick the rod and reel of your choice. Spool it with 20lb nylon braid. Use a 1/4 oz egg weight behind a "carolina keeper". That's a plastic stop that you can slide up and down your line to hold your egg weight where you want it. #6 or #8 treble hook and a cigar float about 3-4 ft above the hook. Use the type with pegs in the ends for easy adjustment. I've used all kinds of prepared baits,but I've had a lot of success with "Magic Bait" nightcrawler flavor. That's the stuff that's already in nuggets in a bag. Mash it on your treble hook so the hook points are just on the edge of the bait ball. Chunk it out into shallow water and give it a few minutes. Around rocks or flooded grassy areas works best for me. Catfish usually come up shallow to feed, and early morning is my most successful time.
This bait will also attract a lot of small cats, but that should prove entertaining for the kids for a couple of hours.
I've used a whole bag in one setting before. Sometimes pinching the nugget in half works better for hook setting.
All this can be found at Academy. Good luck to ya'll
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/17/15 11:58 AM

I would pass on the "magic bait" if I were you. I don't think that stuff catches anything other than fishermen.
Posted By: opus

Re: Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/17/15 12:32 PM

Go by feed store and get ya a bag of 20% cattle cubes throw a few handfulls out then use John525s method,nitecrawlers work pretty good too or Stubbys
Posted By: armadilla

Re: Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/17/15 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Don't really know what lies off the banks though.

Limestone....
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Need some help from you catfish guys - 06/17/15 02:48 PM

Looks like a good spot to go noodling
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum