Texas Fishing Forum

Lightning??

Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Lightning?? - 05/19/15 01:54 AM

If your way up the lake, a long ways from the truck. Is it safer when it's lightning, to go to shore, a bridge or the long ride to the ramp?
I usually head for shore. What's everybody's opinion?
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 02:10 AM

Ha! My buddy and I just headed to shore last time we were out in the kayaks and even caught a couple fish!

Personally, I say go to the ramp if you know 100% you can make it, otherwise. Get somewhere on the bank where you won't likely be stuck by lightning
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 02:12 AM

I fished all night under a bridge this past weekend ( Saturday night to be exact) felt pretty safe in the middle of a heck of a light show. At least until that lighting bolt hit a power transmission pole about 80 yards away.
Took an hour for Vess's eyes to return to normal size, but after that we had no interest in getting out from beneath that bridge until it stopped!
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 02:36 AM

I always went under a bridge during lightening and heavy rain, if it's too windy and putting up big waves I went to shore and waited it out, been in that situation many of times
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 06:09 AM

I seen lighting strike clear lake in in Washingtone state it was really neat seeing mike you guy get to go yet i would i to see some pick when you do go
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 12:20 PM

I'd probably head for shore. Getting struck by lightning is NOT on my bucket list.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 12:31 PM

I have always headed for the ramp, beach or tie the boat, flip the bilge pump on and get in the truck. Not sure if you see lightning or hear thunder if you really have time to go anywhere. Experts say lightning can strike from 15 miles away. Lightning strike monitors are now available that will warn when lightning is 15 miles away.

This one warns up to 40 miles away.
http://www.ambientweather.com/stpelide.html
Posted By: Drawout

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 12:37 PM

Just play the odds and ride out the storm peep
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Drawout
Just play the odds and ride out the storm peep

lol, I don't like them odds!
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 01:05 PM

Get the hell off the water ASAP! Try heading back to the boat ramp and get inside your truck. When on the lake you and your boat become the most likely point of contact and ain't no bridge going to help you. Be safe! bolt
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 01:19 PM

Bridge. You are no longer the highest point on the lake.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 01:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGR6Wk3Kboo

Lightning Reg was never hurt by it, well sort of..
I've rode it out under the same bridge Vess and Paul probably did a few weeks before them. I've also headed to shore and the ramp. I've also been in a pretty ominous situation on CC where there was no lightning or thunder but very heavy cloud cover and our mono line would rise UP off the water after the cast out rather than settling down on the water. Go figure that one out.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGR6Wk3Kboo

Lightning Reg was never hurt by it, well sort of..
I've rode it out under the same bridge Vess and Paul probably did a few weeks before them. I've also headed to shore and the ramp. I've also been in a pretty ominous situation on CC where there was no lightning or thunder but very heavy cloud cover and our mono line would rise UP off the water after the cast out rather than settling down on the water. Go figure that one out.

Wait till your graphite rod starts to vibrate. Scary!
Posted By: pelican

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 02:29 PM

I'm running XM weather and displaying NEXRAD anytime there's possibly weather issues, however I've had storms make up directly overhead and it happened quick. If and when I get caught I'm going to get off the water period. If I have to take cover under a bridge I'll get out of the boat and get as far under the bridge as possible.
Depending on what kind of protection that's on shore I'll make use of the best option.
You don't get do overs with Lightning, I've been within 100' of 3 lightning strikes, it's some BAD Sheet!
Posted By: Aixsponsa

Re: Lightning?? - 05/19/15 02:33 PM

You are not safe ANYWHERE outside. Get to shelter immediately.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/myths.shtml
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Lightning?? - 05/20/15 03:51 AM

This happened in 2009 on Sam Rayburn. Man is very lucky. I saw pics of this boat and an aluminum boat that was struck also another year. Both boats looked like bombs went off and blew holes in them. The odds are definitely not in your favor. Head to cover.
http://www.itemonline.com/news/lifestyle...9be884a4bd.html
Posted By: ARKMAY

Re: Lightning?? - 05/20/15 08:02 PM

I have had the rods in the holders in the boat charged up so much they were humming and they would shock the heck out of you when you touched them. That's when you throw them in the floor and haul A back to the shore!
Posted By: HolyGrail

Re: Lightning?? - 05/20/15 09:43 PM

Download an app called Radar Scope. 10 bucks, but it is pretty accurate radar, and for an extra $10 a year, you get live lightning feed data. Helps you to avoid getting stuck in a lightning storm in the first place.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum