Texas Fishing Forum

Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15

Posted By: DallasCrappieMan

Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/18/15 11:00 PM

Took today off to see if the channels had come shallow in the rocks on Hubbard. I quickly found out they were indeed shallow and put 20 in the cooler in about 2 hours. Was fishing about 2 ft deep with CJ's punchbait on the I-30 rocks off of Dalrock. Should just get better now that the lake is full.

Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/18/15 11:34 PM

Nice!
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/18/15 11:39 PM

Nice haul!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: HeavyLead
Nice haul!

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: Whitebassangler98

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 04:37 AM

How do you set up your rods for the punch bait, and where do you get the punch bait? ?
Posted By: CatfishAddiction

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitebassangler98
How do you set up your rods for the punch bait, and where do you get the punch bait? ?

My $.02, slip cork rigs seem to be really popular. I've never used one so I can't speak to the exact configuration. I'm sure many of the folks here can fill in that information gap. I use a carolina type rig. #4 or #6 treble on a leader about 18"-20" long tied to a barrel swivel. On the main line above the swivel I use an egg sinker. I generally use 1/4 oz, but that's my preference for the gear I use so I can get a decent cast without having a super-heavy sinker. I've used heavier but it seems to make light bites harder to pick up.

As for punch bait, there are a million different options and everyone has a favorite or favorites. I've used SureShot, which works great, but it's a logistical challenge to get ahold of unless you live in the Denton/Decatur area or you don't mind waiting for shipping. Danny King's blood has always worked well for me and it's pretty readily available at most of the bigger outdoor stores and bait shops. Same with Cj's and the Team Catfish products. There are a few fellas here that make their own concoctions that seem to be pretty sucessful but I haven't tried any myself. I'm working through a jug of homebrew stuff out of East Texas called Padgett's and it works just as well as any of the others I've tried. I personally stay away from the dough bait stuff that you get in a bag. It tends to be dry and hard to keep on a hook and in my experience it doesn't work too well.

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitebassangler98

If you are fishing the rip rap, I would definitely suggest you fish it under a slip float to keep it out of the rocks. Anything else is just asking to get hung up, and your bait will probably just fall down between rocks where they can't get to it anyway.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 04:48 PM

DCM, were you on East side or West side of 30 thanks...

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 05:55 PM

I use a snap on cork, 1 split shot weight, and a #4 treble hook. Some people use slip corks but I find snap on much easier to use when fishing shallow water. I set the cork at about 2 ft and fish anywhere from 5 to 10 ft from the bank. Just let the cork float around until you get a bite. I usually let them take the cork completely under before I set the hook to make sure they have it. I used CJs and I get it from Academy.

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 05:55 PM

I was fishing the west side of 30.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 06:42 PM

I'm assuming the south side of the bridge? Might be out there this weekend on my yak.

Re: Hubbard channel cats 5/18/15 - 05/19/15 06:47 PM

I doubt there's many stretches of rocks out there without channels right now. North side, south side, east, west. Probably all good.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum