Texas Fishing Forum

Best method and area on lake to chum?

Posted By: spooncg

Best method and area on lake to chum? - 05/16/15 01:32 AM

Plan on taking a buddy out on a Saturday in a few weeks, but wanted to chum an area on Thursday, two days before. I have never chummed for cats before so I was hoping you guys could help me.

Burlap sack full of cut up fish, tied to some bricks? Best depth for first week of June? Also if I do this Thursday evening will there still be enough bait/chum to hold the cats there until Sat morning.

Thanks!
Posted By: opus

Re: Best method and area on lake to chum? - 05/16/15 01:52 AM

Dont get caught just what kind of fish ya talkin bout

Re: Best method and area on lake to chum? - 05/16/15 01:53 AM

Anything. Just found some good links in old post on this site. The bigger the better would be our primary target, but we aren't picky. Just wanna feel some tight lines.

Re: Best method and area on lake to chum? - 05/16/15 01:56 AM

No what kind of fish ya gonna put in that bag??
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Best method and area on lake to chum? - 05/16/15 02:19 AM

Get a bag of milo from a feed store.

Fill 5 gallon bucket @ 1/2 full and cover with water (2-3 inches). Add a beer or a small packet of yeast to help the fermenting process.

If you snap the lid completely shut, drill a couple small holes in side of the bucket up high so it can breathe. I'd just lay the lid on top and put a small amount of weight on it to keep it from blowing off but still allowing the pressure to escape as it expands. CHeck every few days and add water as needed to keep it covered.

In about a week, you'll be good. It just gets riper afterwards.

Find a few different spots and toss out a couple of cups. Scatter it so they have to search for it instead of just dumping into on small spot.

A shallower spot where the wind/waves can carry the scent is ideal, especially if its around some timber / grass.

Re: Best method and area on lake to chum? - 05/16/15 02:54 AM

Sorry Opus. Maybe perch or shad. Depends what the net produces. If I catch some decent size shad I might keep them on ice until Sat and use them if that's a good idea.

Re: Best method and area on lake to chum? - 05/16/15 03:06 AM

Get ya some cattle cubes for chum, Short on time for milo
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum