Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing punch bait on bottom....

Posted By: soonersorlaters

Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 01:35 AM

....without the slip cork method, yet I want to keep it suspended above the bottom.

Anyone use a rig that resembles a typical slip sinker setup but using a tiny cork to keep the punch bait off the bottom, say about a foot off the bottom?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 01:46 AM

It's called a santee cooper rig
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
It's called a santee cooper rig

Yeah, I figured. Just wondering if there were any other styles that might fit.

Thanks.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 02:17 AM

A lot of punch bait floats...so may not need a float.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 02:27 AM

if your fishing shallow enough you can just use a regular bobber
Posted By: opus

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 02:58 AM

I fished Stubbys like bass fishin a Tx rig worm slow, had a blast only prob. wont work with punch schit

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 03:01 AM

Dang just realized Stubby neeeds to put me on payroll LOL
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 03:45 AM

A drop loop rig with the weight at the very end and the hook about a foot up is pretty widely used. Don't have to worry about a float then.

My problem with using a santee cooper rig or a drop loop rig with punch bait is that by the time I know there's a fish biting, they've spit the treble hook out because they felt the weight. Unless they are being extra aggressive, then it really doesn't matter. With the slip float, I've got a little more warning before I set the hook.

Besides all that practical stuff, there's nothing like the excitement of seeing the float take a tiny dip...go back up...I reel in a little slack...boom it goes all the way under...I set the hook, and it's on! I love slip float fishing!

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 04:00 AM

I just set me up some deep water slip cork rigs 27ft of water cant wait to try um out,spinnin rigs dont work to good(bobber stop hangs up too bad) so set some bait casters up

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 05:18 AM

soonerorlater I sent you a pm hope it helps and address some of the questions you might have
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: opus
Dang just realized Stubby neeeds to put me on payroll LOL
well I guess I can but we will still be broke roflmao
Posted By: CatfishAddiction

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/14/15 12:35 PM

When I fish punch bait I am a fan of a carolina type rig. Egg sinker above a swivel and a 18" leader underneath the swivel. I still pick up the light bites with it. Works well because I typically fish several rods and I don't have to watch a float constantly. I can just scan back and forth on the rods for any hits.

Re: Fishing punch bait on bottom.... - 05/15/15 06:10 AM

Royce the guid from Gone fishing fish is DK Blood Punch on the bottom tight lined and ash good but the fish i have been catching likely have just bee slamming the bait with in a few minuets of it hitting the water sometime as soon at it hit the water they are smashing it the with corks i have that were had made of wood can pick up the light best of bits

I feel the cork works better the tight line it alway the slight waves to work the bait helping it break down in the water, putting the cent in the water but fishing over some surd gf
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum