Texas Fishing Forum

Blues biting?

Posted By: Cat finder

Blues biting? - 04/24/15 12:15 AM

Have they stopped? About a month ago i had no problem catching 7 plus lbs. Now i get little bites. Do they have a period where they stop biting?
Posted By: fish_hunter

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 09:28 AM

They are still biting , however, they do stop biting when you leave the lake. grin

With all the new water they are more than likely headed to the mouth of the creeks to eat the new incoming baits. But then again they have a lot more water to explore so you will have to do the same.

Good luck
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 12:10 PM

They were biting on Sunday...they still should be.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 12:30 PM

Go shallow at the upper ends of the lakes. Fish the flats right off the creek or river channel.

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 01:09 PM

Great info guys! I've still been fishing in 30 plus deep water. I'll go shallow and find a creek or two. This give me a better game plan as i have a couple creeks that open to lakes to fish and a couple good shallow spots in mind. Thanks!
Posted By: Blues

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Cat finder
Great info guys! I've still been fishing in 30 plus deep water. I'll go shallow and find a creek or two. This give me a better game plan as i have a couple creeks that open to lakes to fish and a couple good shallow spots in mind. Thanks!

Always start exploring shallow water end of Feb into March. Lots of good fish caught shallow earlier in the year than most people think when we're talking blues. I see a lot of people wait until the spawn to hit shallow water, they've already missed months of action. And when we say shallow we're talking 1-2 feet sometimes.

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 01:44 PM

Wow now that's shallow. I'm up for that. I didn't realize they come up that shallow.
Posted By: bankman72

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 02:25 PM

Caught a 22lb blue and a 35lb blue about 4 weeks ago during that first big rainstorm we had in 18 inches of water in Marshall creek over in Roanoke during the sand bass run.

I feel like on years with good spring rains the fish move shallow earlier than on dry springs. Seems like sloughs and channels are at the top of my list this time of the year if its been raining good. Once it gets a little later in the year I might start trying drop offs and ledges but for now its the shallows in my opinion.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 02:47 PM

Flatheads and channels will be moving out to the shallows in a couple of weeks here north of DFW
if the haven't already done so. Best fishing will be right against the bank on a muddy running creek.

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 03:20 PM

Wow dude i would never thought to find 20 plus lbs in that shallow of water. I'll have to rug up a couple more rods so i can find the best place. Sounds like it's going to be a blast!
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 03:44 PM

Nothing like being in less than two feet of water, see a pole go down and then a tail bigger than a five gallon bucket come out of the water!!!!

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 04:50 PM

That's what I'm looking for! Let the good times begin!
Posted By: ALLANGT

Re: Blues biting? - 04/24/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Nothing like being in less than two feet of water, see a pole go down and then a tail bigger than a five gallon bucket come out of the water!!!!

That sounds awesome lizard
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum