Texas Fishing Forum

Low Tech Photo Thread

Posted By: BrianTx01

Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 01:57 PM

For a long time I have convinced myself that items such as side imaging where nice to have but where not really necessary to catch big fish. I am not sure what has changed, but recently I haven't had a lot of luck. Furthermore, I haven't seen a lot of big fish posted that were not caught in a guide's boat.

I know it isn't necessarily monster season so let's just concentrate on nice fish 10# or greater. No prizes...just bragging rights and a chance to prove that low tech approaches can still catch nice fish.

Here are the guidelines:

1. Fish must have been caught on or after 4/1/2015
2. Must be landed by rod and reel
3. Fish cannot be caught on a guided trip or by a professional guide
4. Fish or bait cannot be located using side imaging

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 02:06 PM

I will start this out. Here is my fishing buddy Luke with a 10# blue that he caught at Lewisville last night. It was the only fish we caught.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 02:06 PM

Bait caught working the bank's. Rod & Reel bank fishing at night. Nice 20's class Blue Cat

Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 03:14 PM

I caught this 32.5lb blue last Tuesday from the bank. It's a terrible photo because I was fishing alone and had to prop my phone up on my chair.
Posted By: GetSlimed

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 03:29 PM

I'm out. Not sure I'd catch anything without the side imaging.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 03:34 PM

Side imaging is just another tool. It will show you fish and bait are in the area but it's an educated guess on what kind they are. It will not show hungry fish!!!! Lol it boils down to the basics on where to start fishing and method used.
Posted By: Savage243

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 07:02 PM

11.5# flathead.

Rod and Reel from the bank using live perch.

4-2-15

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 07:36 PM

frown I haven't been fishing since 4/1
Posted By: JerryTad

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 07:43 PM

Caught this past weekend drifting LL (forgot my 2nd anchor). 27#, 24# and 17#. Caught another 15#. Nothing huge, but the 27 was my PB. None of these were located on side imaging. Just targeted depth changes. Sorry about the sideways picture. I've never posted pics before.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Savage243
11.5# flathead.

4-2-15

That is a perfect eating size flathead. I am all for conservation but I hope you released that one to the grease.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/13/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: JerryTad
Caught this past weekend drifting LL (forgot my 2nd anchor). 27#, 24# and 17#. Caught another 15#. Nothing huge, but the 27 was my PB. None of these were located on side imaging. Just targeted depth changes. Sorry about the sideways picture. I've never posted pics before.

Those are some nice fish, but your posts suggest that you may have a side imaging unit...but just choose not to use it...hence you would not be subject to the Low Tech Curse.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 01:02 PM

I think every fish ive ever caught would classify for low tech. The fish finder we have is good for nothing but telling you how deep the water is... and its not perfect at that!
Posted By: Savage243

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
Originally Posted By: Savage243
11.5# flathead.

4-2-15

That is a perfect eating size flathead. I am all for conservation but I hope you released that one to the grease.

Heck yeah I released him to the grease! Him and five 3lb channels made for a great meal for family and friends!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 01:51 PM

I can't see how side imaging could not be extremely helpful for shallow water fishing. A regular 2D sonar is useless in less than 5' of water.

At any rate...the intention of this thread isn't to debate the merits of side imaging sonar...it is to prove a point to my wife that I need a new fish finder...lol. I told her that there isn't any boat based fisherman that are catching any significant numbers of fish without having a modern fish finder with side imaging. So far it looks like I am correct....probably because I am the only one that is still using this outdated technology.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 01:55 PM

Your just making excuses Brian!!! Lol go get ya a new fish Finder!!!
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 02:04 PM

Good luck with that Brian, I hope you can get her convinced so you can get what you want, I got mine last year and to this day I still take a verbal lashing from my wife, so I constantly ask myself if it was worth it, my answer is always the same (Yes), I've always caught good fish before I had the big unit but it has helped me tremendously to choose the location I want to fish versus the guess work, by the way the photo in my sig was caught before I got the HB unit

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 02:25 PM

In that case yeah you cant catch a fish without it thumb
Posted By: big10

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 02:37 PM

Here you go Brian. 12 lb blue caught on rod and reel from my 15' flattbottom with no graph. Only piece of high tech equipment on the boat was a cooking thermometer I used to check the water temp. You can see it tucked inside my jacket.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 02:49 PM

Brian, I would like to give you a bit of advice. I know how you are about losing boats etc. lol so please for your safety and ours, if you get sidescan, have an extra couple of guys on board to watch where your going!!! When you first get SS you will pay more attention to it than where your going!!!! Don't ask how I know this!!!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 02:57 PM

In addition to the side scan, tell your wife you need a good pair of high powered binoculars. When I can't catch anything, I start looking for Tom's boat! roflmao

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Brian, I would like to give you a bit of advice. I know how you are about losing boats etc. lol so please for your safety and ours, if you get sidescan, have an extra couple of guys on board to watch where your going!!! When you first get SS you will pay more attention to it than where your going!!!! Don't ask how I know this!!!

I usually only have problems when I am not in the boat...like when I tie the boat to the dock...but I think I have that worked out now.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
I can't see how side imaging could not be extremely helpful for shallow water fishing. A regular 2D sonar is useless in less than 5' of water.

At any rate...the intention of this thread isn't to debate the merits of side imaging sonar...it is to prove a point to my wife that I need a new fish finder...lol. I told her that there isn't any boat based fisherman that are catching any significant numbers of fish without having a modern fish finder with side imaging. So far it looks like I am correct....probably because I am the only one that is still using this outdated technology.

That's a good one Brian! She's never going to completely understand...ur gonna have to work s deal out with her on this one, thumb
Posted By: JerryTad

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: GetSlimed
In addition to the side scan, tell your wife you need a good pair of high powered binoculars. When I can't catch anything, I start looking for Tom's boat! roflmao
Ain't that the truth!
Posted By: K.G

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/14/15 09:38 PM

Low-Tech here as I am a Banker but was thinkin when is tech going to out-do the sport?
I'm all for Side Imaging, Depth Finders and the Goodies but when do you think it will out-do the Fisherman?coach
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/15/15 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Your just making excuses Brian!!! Lol go get ya a new fish Finder!!!

This!! Then you can start a high tech thread and see some better fish.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/16/15 09:07 PM

Bump...
Posted By: FishHunter69

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/16/15 10:54 PM

Nice!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/16/15 10:55 PM

Nice!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/16/15 10:56 PM

Nice!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/16/15 10:56 PM

Nice!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/16/15 10:57 PM

Nice!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/16/15 11:00 PM

True fisherman right there!
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/17/15 03:32 AM

Side imaging is definetly where my next bonus is going, I've been on a couple boats with it and it is just awesome to watch!!! BUT what's worse is seeing them there and still having to move 3 or 4 times . A wiseman once told me "it shows you they are there but it doesn't make them BITE! I've also caught plenty of 20's off the bank! I'll take any technology to help me catch more fish!!!!!

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/28/15 11:55 AM

Sometimes...even a squirrel without side scan finds a nut.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/28/15 12:02 PM

Dang, that's a good one!

Lewisville or Grapevine?
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/28/15 12:27 PM

Nice fish Brian, that's not gonna help your case convincing your wife to let you get a new unit.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 04/28/15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: mjmetro0719
Nice fish Brian, that's not gonna help your case convincing your wife to let you get a new unit.

Nope...doesn't look that way.

Re: Low Tech Photo Thread - 05/04/15 03:01 AM

Apparently blind squirrels can get nuts two weekends in a row.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum