Texas Fishing Forum

Catfish Questions

Posted By: DataHawk

Catfish Questions - 01/31/15 04:00 PM

Notice it didn't say Catfishing questions. Many of you have years and years of catfishing experience and that will help but also looking for any science studies on catfish.

What is the range of a catfish looking for food in a lake or river?

If a catfish is CPR'd a mile from where it was caught will it return to the area it was caught or look for a new "home" in the area it was released?

We know they move from shallow to deep in different seasons, do they return to the same areas or are they nomads and just wander?

River floods, pushes trees, limbs, houses, fish etc down stream, do they return to the same area after a flood?

I heard once when they was foraging for food that they are like a cow, following the same path all the time. True?

Are babies likely to hang in the same area they was born or wander off up stream and down stream? How far will they go from the spawn area?

How far downstream will the catfish smell the cut bait, Stubby's, CJ's etc. and how far will it swim for it?

Someone must have done a study on the life of a catfish. Questions and answers like this should help all of us find the evasive wild catfish smile The questions are for "wild catfish" not baited to hold to an area. Chumming for them is indifferent since you have to find them and pull them in.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Catfish Questions - 01/31/15 08:08 PM

http://www.in-fisherman.com/catfish/blue-catfish/secret-lives-reservoir-blue-catfish/
Posted By: parttime

Re: Catfish Questions - 01/31/15 08:51 PM

LOL Justin beat me to it, I was just about to post that same link. smile
Posted By: big10

Re: Catfish Questions - 01/31/15 10:36 PM

Thanks for the link. That's a good write up.
Posted By: accolyte1022

Re: Catfish Questions - 01/31/15 11:21 PM

Thanks Justin!

Awesome read.
Posted By: DataHawk

Re: Catfish Questions - 01/31/15 11:44 PM

thank you for the link, very good article
Posted By: addicted to fishing

Re: Catfish Questions - 02/01/15 12:01 AM

Very nice article. Great read!
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Catfish Questions - 02/01/15 12:16 AM

cheers
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Catfish Questions - 02/01/15 12:50 AM

Good read Great Info.
Posted By: chickenpimp

Re: Catfish Questions - 02/01/15 03:30 PM

Thanks,, great info on that link
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Catfish Questions - 02/03/15 02:19 PM

I wonder if that real shallow water sand in front of the Washita keeps fish from heading up river? Many Years ago when the sand wasnt blocking the entrance we used to catch nice ones going up river...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Catfish Questions - 02/03/15 05:26 PM

On that link it showed a lot of the blues moved up river during the summer months and during the summer months their diet consisted largely of muscles/freshwater clams or whatever you want to call them. Are there more muscles/clams in the river than main lake?
Posted By: Bownut

Re: Catfish Questions - 02/07/15 10:39 PM

Good info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum