Texas Fishing Forum

Driftfishing ?'s

Posted By: kdub#1

Driftfishing ?'s - 01/29/15 04:25 PM

What hook do you prefer to drift with?
How far from the boat do you like to keep the bait?

I am drifting from a kayak using a drift sock. I have been using a santee cooper style rig and a circle hook.

Yesterday I could tell I was getting some nibbling action, not just the bottom, but no hook ups.
Posted By: mad_catter1990

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/29/15 04:39 PM

Sounds like you got the right setup going. Are you cruising through the area you plan on drifting and looking for fish? As for the nibbles, probably just little dinks chewing on your bait. I always use circle hooks when drifting because the momentum of the boat alot of the time will set the hook for ya...at least in my experience
Posted By: parttime

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/29/15 05:03 PM

yeah sounds like your setup is correct, nibbles probably are just little ones.

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/29/15 05:05 PM

Thanks,

I dont have a sonar, just cruising up windblown banks blind trying to pick up fish where I think they might be.
Posted By: chickenpimp

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/29/15 05:55 PM

keep doing what your doing and the hawgs will come to play.. big baits and big hooks = big fish
Posted By: Budward

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/29/15 10:01 PM

What lake do you fish on?

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/30/15 12:25 PM

Lavon mostly.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/30/15 01:58 PM

Probably not what you want to hear but a trip with Doug(Tex)Elliott 817-988-5468 would advance your learning curve by years. He has been a guide on that lake longer than anyone and was a partner of Jerry Hancock the original Lavon Catfish Guru from the 1990's. Doug is very knowledgeable and willing to share ideas, theory, and what works and doesn't.
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 01/30/15 08:30 PM

kdub-

do you ever fish with any of the guys in the Kayak forum? A lot of us fish for cats, and myself and a few others fish lavon quite a bit.

what are you using for bait?

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 02/01/15 02:57 PM

I have not fished with any of yall, might have to show up for a gtg cheers

I prefer to use fresh shad, but was using post duck season duck guts, which I've caught fish with in the past.
Posted By: opus

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 02/01/15 03:12 PM

A while back they were bitein whole ducks.What hook do you prefer to drift with? circle
How far from the boat do you like to keep the bait? 40--50 yrds
Posted By: turbofred

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 02/02/15 07:47 PM

Do you have a float on your leader to keep the bait out of the mud?

Re: Driftfishing ?'s - 02/02/15 08:07 PM

Yessir
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum