Texas Fishing Forum

Getting my gear salty this weekend.

Posted By: olenarey87

Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/21/14 01:02 AM

Headed to Galveston and looking forward to catching some of the saltwater fish! I really don't care what species or anything. But I wouldn't mind some fast action, so gaftops would be fine. Red drum and sharks would be awesome though. Any tips from the catfishibg crowd to be relatively successful. Also, I am headed to Bolivar Peninsula.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/21/14 02:52 AM

sounds like a fun trip, good luck to you
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/21/14 02:55 AM

Depends on what gear ya got, if you got big enough reels id say wade out to te 2nd or third sandbar if ya can and cast from there, make sure to use spider weights and a strong leader, either like 400lb mono or steel to keep the sharks from curtin ya, cut mullet, whiting, or other smaller fish will get ya bit. You can try rollover pass but it gets pretty crowded usually, I would suggest goin to 61st st pier in galvi. If ya got any other questions text me 682-218-9901
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/21/14 02:56 AM

P.s. PA 10ft rods with an abu 6500 is a great pier combo

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/21/14 12:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll actually be on the Bolivar Peninsula. I've got a 10 ft PA with a 65 series Salt Striker. And a 7.5 ft PA with an abu 6000 and a couple 7ft ugly stik tigers with 6500's on them. Looking forward to it! Should be a blast!
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/21/14 04:11 PM

I did pretty well down there using a medium action spinning rod and throwing some gold and silver roostertails! Caught a lot of small fish, but they were a blast to catch! Also got a legal spanish mackeral that I kept and ate. Caught two small sharks (20-25in) on a live mullet free lined. All caught in the surf in between the first and second sandbar.

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/21/14 05:57 PM

Awesome! I appreciate the info!
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/23/14 03:29 AM

Watch out for those hardheads. One got me in Destin last week and it got infected. Ended up spending most of the day in the ER to get some antibiotics. I hear that meat tenderizer and rubbing alcohol will prevent infection.
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/24/14 01:52 PM

I have almost the same gear. We like to catch mullet in the surf, Carolina rig it with a 2-3 oz sinker, wire leaker, and 6/0 -8/0 hook. Wade to the second bar, cast, and hold on.

Finger mullet have been good, but the head of a big fresh mullet has been best on reds.

Don't forget to clean your gear, at least rinse it WELL, every time you take a break.

Re: Getting my gear salty this weekend. - 08/25/14 02:36 AM

Just got back from the coast. Didn't do very well unfortunately. Caught a couple hardheads and gaftop. My buddy caught a 41 inch Atlantic Sharpnose. I had a breakoff early in the day, just kept my mono leaders while I was making some wire ones and of course that is when I got the big takedown of the day. Fish was peeling drag and when I got the rod out of the holder line went slack and I knew the line had broke. Needless to say I was not a very happy camper. Oh well, just another one that got away, and now I need to go back and get him!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum