Texas Fishing Forum

For you Trotline Folks.

Posted By: Bittercreek

For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 04:58 AM

How long do you Yellow-Cat. Trotliners. Set your Stagins. Baiting with Mudcat; big
Perch.
18", 24".
Bottom of the hook. Set about 1' off the bottom.
Thank you. For any advice.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 01:32 PM

Well, since stagings are required to be 3 feet apart, that's what I do.

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 02:40 PM

I place them 4ft. apart on the Yellowcat lines. Just wondering how long others made their stageings.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 02:52 PM

I always keep my staging pretty short. 24" is about the max for mine.

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 02:52 PM

I also prefer throw lines for ops vs trotlines. Depending on the location I'll put a 6-8' throw line out tied to a thick rubber bungee strap that is secured to a log or tree. This prevents the fish from being able to straighten out any hooks. I also do this on at least one end of my trot lines since I have had so much success since I first tried it.
Posted By: mrmakAUCTIONEER

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I also prefer throw lines for ops vs trotlines. Depending on the location I'll put a 6-8' throw line out tied to a thick rubber bungee strap that is secured to a log or tree. This prevents the fish from being able to straighten out any hooks. I also do this on at least one end of my trot lines since I have had so much success since I first tried it.

HOW big of a weight?
How many hooks?
How long is the bungie?
I used this method on the trinity way back in the 70s seems like the weight was about a pound 3 or four hooks and about a 10 foot rubber thing heavy looked like an elastic band but seemed like it was about 3/8" thick someone gave it to me and I used for about a month> that's what introduced me to cat fishing!

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 04:31 PM

I fill up solo cups with concrete and use a piece of clothes hanger bent into a loop to tie off to. I use the black rubber bungees straps, but I know people that use old bicycle inner tubes instead. I usually use 3-5 hooks on each line. If I can find a good lay down I will just use one hook to try to prevent hang ups.
Posted By: Big Zee

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/06/14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I fill up solo cups with concrete and use a piece of clothes hanger bent into a loop to tie off to. I use the black rubber bungees straps, but I know people that use old bicycle inner tubes instead. I usually use 3-5 hooks on each line. If I can find a good lay down I will just use one hook to try to prevent hang ups.

Sounds like we fish the same way. But, thanks for the tip on the solo cups. We usually use bricks or window weights if we can find them.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/07/14 12:47 AM

I like stagings about 30-32". A big yellow is hard to get in a net on a short staging. Also tie stagings about 3 1/2 ft apart.
Posted By: j49

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/07/14 04:02 PM

I like my stagings about 24" long, set 8 to 10 ft apart. Stagings set closer together have created problems for me. They hang up on brush, the boat,etc when attempting to land a big fish. Also, if you are using a heavy weight in deeper water they can hook your arms or clothes when setting the line. Just takes one slip and hooks are coming by fast. I love drop lines for catfish, I set 1 hook on flexable limb, put a weight about 12" above the hook. Live bait on hook, set weight at water level. You are almost fishing on top of the water, but I have been successful with this method.

j49

Re: For you Trotline Folks. - 03/08/14 02:37 AM

Thank you Folks.
Good-Advice.
Will put it to good use.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum