Texas Fishing Forum

Red-Horse Minnows.

Posted By: Bittercreek

Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 02:35 AM

Was reading the Goldfish-Thread. It reminded me of the good-ole'days. Redhorse minnows would catch anything. Under a cork, on bottom; Yellows, blues, channels; crappie.
Anyone of you folks fished with'm?

Posted By: Big cat hunter

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 02:48 AM

I remember as a kid my dad, my older brother, and I would wade down the san gabriel river fishing, but I was too young to work a bass worm like they could so my dad would take the cast net an catch me several dozen minnows under the water fall there at the park and id float them under a cork. I use to out fish my big bro every time until he finally got the hang of a bass worm then we stayed tied until I started fishin with a worm. After that I couldnt keep up, they both wack way more bass than me. Which is why im a catfisherman.

Posted By: polishpreacher

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 04:19 AM

I have been told that certain minnows are not able to be used for bait, and Red Horse minnows were some of those, though now i have heard that they can be used, just not transported to another body of water to use. Do any of yall know for sure the rules for Red Horse minnows?

Posted By: brando

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 01:31 PM

True red horse minnows will had a red spot on their head and are not legal use for bait as they are on the threatened or endangered list in the state of Texas

Posted By: Federale

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 04:30 PM

We would catch them in a minnow jar on the brazos. They would always out catch other minnows we would use and my grand father would give us a nickel for all the red horse minnows we would catch.

I have nnot heard about them being threatened and do not see them on the TPWD list

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/endang/animals/fish/

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: rmillertx778
We would catch them in a minnow jar on the brazos. They would always out catch other minnows we would use and my grand father would give us a nickel for all the red horse minnows we would catch.

I have nnot heard about them being threatened and do not see them on the TPWD list

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/endang/animals/fish/

In order to know you have to have the scientific name as I just spoke to a parks and wildlife captain officer the other day and he verified the red horse are not legal

Posted By: Don Morey

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 08:27 PM

I netted some minnows last year and a few did have that red spot on the head.

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 09:43 PM

I think yall may actually be talking about red shiners, they are blue, with red fins, and are legal bait

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/19/12 10:41 PM

mckinney yes red shiners also called rosey reds are legal bait but red horse minnows are different the biggest difference between the 2 is the red spot on the top of the head on a redhorse otherwise they are very similar

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/20/12 03:04 AM

im not talking about rosy reds, rosy reds are a fathead minnow these are what im talking about.

and yes, they are a legal bait, and a very good one at that. i can catch dozens at a time in some creeks around my house in a cast net.

Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/20/12 03:08 AM

Got a spot on the Trinity up here where I have netted quite a few. Cool little fish,always try to let em go.

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/20/12 03:10 AM

i remember a post last year when someone netted about an 8" one

Posted By: Jake Wright

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/20/12 04:17 AM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/redshiner/

common names are confusing. I thought they were also a threatened species, but when I tried to find information on them, all I can find is red shiner AKA red horse minnow AKA Cyprinella lutrensis. Unless the red-horse minnow yall are talking about is a different species than that one, I don't think they are endangered.

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/23/12 01:42 AM

Im not sure of what the actual name of the minnow is but they have a black dot on the tail, ive always called them red horse minnows, please correct me if im wrong...

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/23/12 06:31 PM

Do they look like this guy:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bts/

Posted By: timwins31

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/24/12 12:45 AM

A red horse minnow looks almost just like a tiny redfish. I found a few in my crappie minnows last time I got some in San Angelo. Do an image search for bluntnose minnow. These are the fabled "red horse" minnows people are referring to. Not the Red shiner.

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/24/12 01:38 AM

yes jake, thats the ones I love. Ive slaughtered countless bass with them

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/24/12 02:43 AM

A bluntnose minnow is the same as a fathead minnow, which is the same a rosy red, just the dominant black gene, I think

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/24/12 11:45 PM

The blunt nose minnow (Pimephales notatus) is closely related to the fat head AKA Rosey red minnow, and just as common, but blunt nosed shiners (Notropis simus) are listed as endangered. One subspecies is extinct. I didn't find any place that was calling them red horse minnows though, and they are only found in the Rio grande, or water shed of the Rio Grande. They are pretty much, even in breeding colors, a sliver shiner.

Posted By: eyeball

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/25/12 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Wright
That's a typical spot tail fishing minnow. When I was a kid there were lots of 'red horse' minnows on the Colorado river lakes. Now gone.

Posted By: the real "cat daddy"

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/25/12 03:40 AM

Catch em out of the river by the 100's...we use pickle jars with a wire cone in the opening. put it on a sandbar where there is decent current, and you can catch all you want!!

Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/25/12 04:14 AM

Aw, the Good-ole; Days.
Glad to hear you folks remember them.
Need to start another Thread, bout Jumbo GrassHoppers; and Limb-lines, Flyrods.

Posted By: timwins31

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 04/25/12 03:18 PM

Man whatever happened to all the jumbos? When I was a kid u could find those things as big as D cell battery. I haven't seen one like that in 20+ years.

Posted By: Wayn Jul

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 03/02/16 10:29 PM

Go to Abundance/Conservation paragraph.
http://txstate.fishesoftexas.org/cyprinella%20lutrensis.htm
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 03/02/16 11:40 PM

The Red Shiner is what we called a Red Horse when I was a kid. Caught lots of them in minnow jugs in Red River. That was way back before there were NO stripers in the river and we could slay the sand bass with them.
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 03/03/16 01:16 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjs8r2rzKTLAhUkuoMKHfkTDj4QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdallastrinitytrails.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F07%2Fpainted-buntings-at-mouth-of-five-mile.html&psig=AFQjCNEjENTiZfK-oiAQ6t5wib8wQOWbzA&ust=1457097189713306

Another spot on the Trinity
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 03/03/16 01:18 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=red+horse+minnows&espv=2&biw=911&bih=445&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD86SNzKTLAhUGmYMKHS6dDSEQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=rprEcgf5Bv1q7M%3A
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 03/03/16 06:52 PM

Caught this pretty guy a few years ago in the net, I believe I was told it was a red horse, is this the same as what y'all are saying?

Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Red-Horse Minnows. - 03/03/16 06:57 PM

That's the one I'm used to catching. Pretty little things.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum