Texas Fishing Forum

fishing guides?

Posted By: djdoubl3j

fishing guides? - 03/06/11 01:44 AM

I am looking for a guide to take my wife ,son (2y/o) and I out. I am pretty new to catfishing, i know some but really want to learn depth finder, rigs, location and what to do. I am looking at the end of april. Who would you recomend ?

Thanx,
JJ
Posted By: William64

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 02:04 AM

It would help to know where you are located so we can name some in your area. If you are close to Lavon, then Doug "Tex" Eliot is good.

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 02:12 AM

Austin, sorry
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 02:39 AM

Cliff Hill in the Austin/San Antonio area.

http://hillcountryfishin.com/
Posted By: Jared Nic

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: djdoubl3j
I am looking for a guide to take my wife ,son (2y/o) and I out. I am pretty new to catfishing, i know some but really want to learn depth finder, rigs, location and what to do. I am looking at the end of april. Who would you recomend ?

Thanx,
JJ

I would take you and your family out for free on Granger, if I had a bigger boat. I have been catching alot of blues out there lately. I would recommend http://www.cattinaroundadventures.com/ He has a big boat,and some nice sonar on it. He'll put you on some fish.

Fayette county is a close lake to you also. It has some huge channels on it and it's a real good lake. Weldon is a real good guide here is his site. http://www.fishtales-guideservice.com/fishtalesguideservicewk.html?1173200193621
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Jared Nic
Originally Posted By: djdoubl3j

Thanx,
JJ

I would take you and your family out for free on Granger, if I had a bigger boat. I have been catching alot of blues out there lately. I would recommend http://www.cattinaroundadventures.com/ He has a big boat,and some nice sonar on it. He'll put you on some fish.

That's the other one I was trying to think of, but my mind was drawing a blank. Spud will put you on some fish.
Posted By: Brother Terry

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 03:28 AM

Cliff hill X2
Posted By: James Tucker

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 03:31 AM

Cliff or Spud. Both can put you on some nice fish.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 04:30 AM

Hey JJ. If you're going to drop coin on a guided trip you might want to leave Jr. at the house. We all want our kids to fish but a 2 year old on a boat for more than an hour is an eternity. Just thought I'd share an opinion. Good Luck.
Posted By: Bobby-Catfishing

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER
Hey JJ. If you're going to drop coin on a guided trip you might want to leave Jr. at the house. We all want our kids to fish but a 2 year old on a boat for more than an hour is an eternity. Just thought I'd share an opinion. Good Luck.

Well said DS. My kids have been fishing in the boat with me since they were two. Sometimes they would last for 4 or 5 hours, but many times they were ready go back in an hour or so. Daddy was ready too by that point. Leave the little one behind this time and enjoy a day on the water with your wife. I'm pretty sure you and your wife deserve a little quality time together. Kelly and I take advantage of any opportunity we can get to spend time together without the kiddos.
Posted By: nehntr

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 09:08 PM

Give Cliff a call. He will not only put you on the fish he wiil educate you on how to use electronics as well. He is a stand up guy.
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 09:45 PM

Talk to the guide you are booking and see what he suggests. You can find a win-win for both you and your son if you hire the right person.

If you want to learn and want your kiddo to catch fish too bring your son with you and then let mom take him when he taps out and go back out with the guide on your own, or fish with the guide in the morning and then pick the kiddo up for an hour or two at the end of the trip.

There is no reason you cannot find a win win and accomplish everything you want to accomplish in a single trip.

Jug fishing trips are great for kids that age. Keeps them interested and lets them catch some fish as well.

Cliff and Weldon are both top notch and I suspect will work with you to come up with a win-win plan.
Posted By: obiewan57

Re: fishing guides? - 03/06/11 11:58 PM

djdouble3j, Whoever you decide to fish with, call them soon, April dates are filling fast.

Every two year old is different. I have had them on the boat that were content the whole trip and I have had them that required the parent to give all their time to the child instead of fishing. You have to remember that a guide can teach you electronics and how to catch fish, and can help children catch fish, but cannot baby sit if a child gets bored and do guide business too.

Weldon
Posted By: Big Zee

Re: fishing guides? - 03/07/11 11:21 PM

dj, I would go with Weldon "Obiewan". Book fast!! with him. Or schedule a trip later. It will be worth it. During waterfowl season, if the parent brings a young kid, I suggest they bring plenty of snacks, a coloring book and colors. Things along that line. Your spending alot of money on a guided trip and to learn from your guide. That's a investment that is well worth it. Bottom line, you know your kid, you do what you think best. Then go get the best guide you can find. Get Obiewan to take you to Fayette. He'll put you on fish, teach you alot. Also, you want your kid to see alot of fish being caught and have fun at the same time. If the children enjoy, you got a fishing buddy for life. Pm me if it's just you and your wife. I would still set something up with Weldon.
Posted By: Spud--Cattin Around Adventures

Re: fishing guides? - 03/08/11 01:38 PM

JJ,

What Weldon said is especially true. Have had children in the boat and it really depends on the child and the day they are having. I have 4 children of my own and each trip with them is catered to their individual personality. Best advice for a 2 year old is to possibly book a full day and maybe have him join in after lunch for the afternoon bite. Right now the weather could be still a lil cool for them in the early morning, plus gives you teaching time and not daddy time. Then have a family time in the afternoon warmth. Just a thought. My boat has a very large deck with plenty of room to move around for your young fisherman. If you are looking for April or May, need to call and talk to the guide you choose because dates are booking quick. Weldon or Cliff are both great guides also and would recommended them and I have ran several trips with Cliff.

Spud
Posted By: TEW

Re: fishing guides? - 03/08/11 02:05 PM

Where do you want to fish?

Weldon fishes lakes east of Austin, Spud north & Cliff south. I have fished with 2 of these guys & they get the job done! Had a blast & learned from both. You will have to drive a ways- 40 to 70 miles depending on the lake & where you live. Check their web sites to see who fishes where.

Luck
Tom

Re: fishing guides? - 03/09/11 01:14 AM

Thanks for all the helpful info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum