Texas Fishing Forum

PB river blue yesterday..

Posted By: Willow

PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 02:00 PM

I have not been fishing in 3+ months work has picked up and I've been busier than a 1 armed paper hanger. Ain't griping about the work for sure, just missed being able to fish.
Yesterday I took my wife and kids fishing and some R&R on the Brazos River between Waco and Marlin. It was supposed to be a sunny and warm day. It was warm but no sun, just clouds and mist off and on.
The river was as low as I have ever seen it and were it not for the jet outboard this trip would have been very short.
I have stated before that I've never caught a large blue (over 10 lbs.) on the Brazos River and my theory why it has not happened. Yesterday changed all that. We set up on a large sand bar (kids love that) adjacent to a deep hole with a large log jam in it (yellow cat heaven). My wife set up in her usual spot and fished the side and below the log jam. I fished above the jam with 3 rods we were 200+ ft apart.
We were using shad, cut bait (which of course we will not reveal in order to protect the not so innocent) and cut buffalo. Fishing was slow but I was relaxing and did not care.
We caught a few eaters, had lunch then I rebaited my rods with cut buffalo, found a spot near by that with a little digging in the sand made a recliner.
I added a blanket, a beer or 3, radio and Dad was soon snoozing.
I was awakened by my wife hollering at me which is a pretty common occurrence so I just rolled over but she kept hollering.
My pole was bent flat into the water when I looked up.
After a 10 minute wrestling match on my smallest pole I landed my personal best for a Brazos River blue....20 lbs 6ozs. and he was a fighter. I was still half asleep until he bit me while removing the hook! We turned him loose after weighing and pic's. We had a great time and already talking about the next trip.
Posted By: Fat Cat

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 02:04 PM

Awesome story! That's what life is all about right there!
Posted By: steveiam

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 02:34 PM

Very nice fish Willow!

Love me some Brazos!
Posted By: dag36

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 02:39 PM

Nice catch Mr. Willow!
Posted By: obiewan57

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 03:12 PM

Very nice, glad you got ole big boy. I worked in Marlin and fished north of Marlin a few times. Some good water in that area.
Posted By: hookem horns(Keith)

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 03:28 PM

nice fish bud, sounds like fun! cheers
Posted By: dafanman

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 05:46 PM

Yessir,

That is how you do it right there, congrats on the PB and it sounds like an outstanding family outing cheers

Laterz,
dafanman cool
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 06:00 PM

Congrats. Makes me wish I had a river boat. I have a stretch of the brazos about 30 minutes from the house.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 06:01 PM

Super Story and a very nice fish. Congrats on the PB.
Posted By: Lga043

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 08:10 PM

Congradulations, hope you break your PB on the next trip,

Good Luck to Ya!!!
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 09:36 PM

Nice job Willow, makes me wanna go river fishing
Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 10:33 PM

awesome day congrats!
Posted By: Bigbobdallas52

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 11:33 PM

Nice PB Mr Willow
Posted By: catfisher02

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/27/11 11:48 PM

Nice!! Man you just seem to find those big fish where ever you go! Congrats!!
Posted By: Willow

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/28/11 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: catfisher02

Well I don't know about all that! I have been lucky lately or it very well could be I'm learning from the best bunch of fisherman on the web! Everybody here is always eager to help or make suggestions! I read this forum much more than I post on it.....I learn more that way! I credit some of my success to you guys. I've learned many new things here and expect that it is like an iceberg and what I've learned so far is just the tip!
Yeah I'm tossing out flowers because whether you know it or not this forum is the best out there......Thanks Everybody!
Posted By: Pavur Outdoors

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/28/11 02:07 AM

Great story. I liked it a lot, keep them coming...
Posted By: Pavur Outdoors

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/28/11 02:08 AM

Great story. I liked it a lot, keep them coming...
Posted By: steveiam

Re: PB river blue yesterday.. - 02/28/11 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Willow
Originally Posted By: catfisher02

Well I don't know about all that! I have been lucky lately or it very well could be I'm learning from the best bunch of fisherman on the web! Everybody here is always eager to help or make suggestions! I read this forum much more than I post on it.....I learn more that way! I credit some of my success to you guys. I've learned many new things here and expect that it is like an iceberg and what I've learned so far is just the tip!
Yeah I'm tossing out flowers because whether you know it or not this forum is the best out there......Thanks Everybody!

+25!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum