Texas Fishing Forum

Keeping a 5 limit Alive

Posted By: Woodpecker (Jim)

Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 10:04 PM

How about some ideas for keeping 5 catfish alive and healthy till the 2-3pm weight-in. They will also be released back so they need to be in good condition. What suggestions for transporting them from the boat to the weight-in table?? I have one of those bags for bass but the fins on the catfish will only get you one quick use.......
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 10:23 PM

I would try a big cooler with an airator in it. Might have to have someone help carry it
Posted By: banned-account

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Fish4everything
I would try a big cooler with an airator in it. Might have to have someone help carry it

I would have to agree with this +1
Posted By: parttime

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 10:44 PM

I'm going to us a large cooler with a bilge pump to recalculate the water. Also remember, our tournaments will be in the cooler months, so it should be a little easier. I would like to hear more from you guys that enter the Central and North Texas tournaments, what do you use?

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 10:48 PM

A wheeled cooler or a small cart/wagon in the truck to move a regular cooler. My fish are going to be so big I will have to higher people to help carry my fish! smile

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 10:55 PM

Now John you know that you are not going to beat me. The apache boat is designed for those extra large blue cats.
Originally Posted By: parttime
A wheeled cooler or a small cart/wagon in the truck to move a regular cooler. My fish are going to be so big I will have to higher people to help carry my fish! smile

Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 10:59 PM

I have a double 48" striper tube to keep them alive on the water. It will hold two 50lb+ fish. I have a 18 gal livewell on the boat that will keep fish under 20lns. To transport from livewell to weigh in table I use a big plastic tub (tournament provided.)
Posted By: Dominoman

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Woodpecker
How about some ideas for keeping 5 catfish alive and healthy till the 2-3pm weight-in. They will also be released back so they need to be in good condition. What suggestions for transporting them from the boat to the weight-in table?? I have one of those bags for bass but the fins on the catfish will only get you one quick use.......

I've got 2 weigh bags that I have used for over 2 years now, yea they got some holes, but their still as strong as ever

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 11:20 PM

I intend to have two 50lb catfish or better. Where do you get the 48" striper tube and what size pump is required to do the job.
Originally Posted By: Fish Hauler's Guide Service
I have a double 48" striper tube to keep them alive on the water. It will hold two 50lb+ fish. I have a 18 gal livewell on the boat that will keep fish under 20lns. To transport from livewell to weigh in table I use a big plastic tub (tournament provided.)

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 11:21 PM

sounds good, thanks for the info, will one bag hold a 50lb cat??
Originally Posted By: Dominoman

I've got 2 weigh bags that I have used for over 2 years now, yea they got some holes, but their still as strong as ever

Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 11:26 PM

I found this tube on eBay. It has 2 1100 gph bilge pumps w/ Venturi valve like keepalive system.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/01/10 11:30 PM

thanks, will do some research now.
Originally Posted By: Fish Hauler's Guide Service
I found this tube on eBay. It has 2 1100 gph bilge pumps w/ Venturi valve like keepalive system.

Posted By: jmounger

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 12:09 AM

I use 2 148 quart ice chest with bildge pumps in them to keep the water moving. You can fist 2 50lbers in one facing opposite directions. I have kept one as big as 64lbs alive in one for 6 hours.
Posted By: William64

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 12:31 AM

One large livewell and one 148 quart cooler with bilge pump. For carrying to the weigh in, drain out of the cooler and use it, also, any large plastic contain can be use to carry them from the boat to the weigh-in.
Posted By: Bassin87'

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 12:51 AM

I made a livewell using a cooler and that live well pump from walmart. I think it was 25 bucks for the pump and i bought a big cooler for 50-60. drilled 2 holes and the fitings come threaded and i didnt even have two use silacone to seal it. It would not have hurt though. I never used it to keep catfish alive for tourny but it worked for BASS! you can buy premaded live wells at basspro but they were 150-300 and not as big and they werent insalated like a cooler so i would imagine the water would get warm quick for the hotter parts of the year. But i know now that they make a pump you just put on any cooler to turn it into a live well but i made mine a few years back and i dont remember seeing one when i was making mine...
Posted By: Chase ™

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 01:07 AM

Built this out of a poly truck tool box for my tourney livewell:

Posted By: Bassin87'

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 01:39 AM

chase could you explain your design. mine is pretty bad a$$ BUT YOURS IS PRETTY BAD A$$! i have mine stored at my buddies house so i will upload a pick later but please explain concept what is the top pvc for?
Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: jmounger
You can fist 2 50lbers in one facing opposite directions.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.......... eeks

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Bassin87'
chase could you explain your design. mine is pretty bad a$$ BUT YOURS IS PRETTY BAD A$$! i have mine stored at my buddies house so i will upload a pick later but please explain concept what is the top pvc for?

The pipe on the lid is a permanent spray bar that I hook up to my wash down system on the boat and then I have the bottom spray bar and pump to recirculate water. The top one constantly pulls fresh water in.
Posted By: Spud--Cattin Around Adventures

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 12:14 PM

If you look at some film footages of some tourny's on the might miss and other big catfisheries most people are using old aluminum tool boxes. They are light weight when empty and most are welded water proof.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 03:18 PM

The one I have above is very light weight and if you look closely at the first picture on the lid I put weatherstripping and don't have a problem with water coming out.
Posted By: Mexicajun1

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 07:58 PM

Chase you plannin on puttin Orca in that thing??? HOLT SHE ITE BATMAN!!! lol........... That is one heckuva livewell.......... I need one about that big for the Redfish I catch but not so much for that Catfish lol.

Rob

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 08:36 PM

Me and JJason had 3 in the 20's fit in that thing at the Cabelas tourney this past year and they were comfortable!
Posted By: mustan92g

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 11:39 PM

Nice design, looks simple and im sure very effective. That bottom mounted pipe serves as a drain and "T's" off as an over flow? thanks

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/02/10 11:46 PM

You got it. Constantly drains if I keep running water in it continuously.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/03/10 12:35 AM

Chase4, that is one fine box, ever thought of putting in a skylite???
Originally Posted By: Chase4

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/03/10 01:22 AM

Did you patent that?? How about a Skylite??? I like it.
Posted By: mustan92g

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/03/10 01:24 AM

I assume you are filling it with the lake water correct? If so how do you keep your aerator jets free of debris? thanks

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/03/10 05:07 AM

Did you patent that?? How about a Skylite??? I like it.

Fill me in on this skylite.

Originally Posted By: mustan92g
I assume you are filling it with the lake water correct? If so how do you keep your aerator jets free of debris? thanks

Mustan92g, the jets don't touch the water or get clogged if that's what you are asking. It is being filled with lake water at all times when I want to constantly run it. The pump that is actually in the livewell box has a "sponge" if that what you want to call it and it is filtering out the bad stuff and all I have to do is pop the suction cups off and untwist the bottom housing and clean the sponge real quick, but it doesn't seem to affect it with a little debris.
Posted By: 2Fish4everything

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/03/10 06:21 AM

Chase4, that is one fine box, ever thought of putting in a skylite???
Originally Posted By: Chase4

Chase has a good looking box clap

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 01:34 AM

This is my box based on Chase4's box. There is in the front corner not showing, an overflow stand pipe. The pump is a rule 1100gph. I mounted it up so that it does not pickup so much debris and poop and clog the pipes. I also installed a light as can be seen in the end view. It has its own switch. This is a 50gal box purchased at Lowes for $57.00 in the tool box section. All total about $130.00 to build.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 01:56 AM

Dang nice work! How you gonna fill it? Think I may still use a cooler.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 02:05 AM

I have a 500gph that I use to throw over the side and pump into the boat and I also keep a 5gal bucket on the boat. It doesn't take long even with the bucket only. I can pump it out or pull the stand pipe and it drains in the bottom of the boat and out the back.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 02:07 AM

I used a 38 gal cooler saturday and kept 25 alive till 1pm but we changed the water out frequently and 4 of them were in that picture.
Originally Posted By: parttime
Dang nice work! How you gonna fill it? Think I may still use a cooler.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 02:14 AM

Also on another note, I usually always throw the fish directly on ice till I would come in and fillet them. This time I was mainly testing a method to keep them alive for the tournament. What was really messed up was, it is much harder to fillet them when they are really ALIVE and KICKING. That box will have ice on non-tournament days.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 01:36 PM

Ya I have a spare pump to use. Is that a drink holder the pump is in? smile

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 07:18 PM

That looks good Woodpecker, nice job.

Re: Keeping a 5 limit Alive - 09/07/10 07:18 PM

Yes, bolted it to the box and screwed the blue pump base to the bottom of it. Can reach in and release the pump if need be.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum