Texas Fishing Forum

Skipjack Herring???? UPDATED

Posted By: catfisher02

Skipjack Herring???? UPDATED - 07/13/10 04:35 PM

I know fresh cut Gizzard Shad is the best, frozen is the 2nd best and Buffalo 3rd on average. I was looking into alternative baits and found a place in Nebraska that mails fresh caught frozen Skipjack Herring packed in ice for +/-$1.50 a pound and $7.00 shipping. This is from what I am told is a very oily fish and is a huge bait choice for big cats on the rivers. Any one used these???
Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 05:29 PM

Nope, but let me know if you order any. I will get in on that!!!
The guys in the Ohio and Arkansas area say that skipjack will out produce gizzard shad 3 to 1.
Posted By: Smoky

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 05:34 PM

Would you mind sharing the source? Website or phone number? I would like to order some!

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 05:48 PM

1-402-560-6800

http://www.fishinfreddies.com/index.php?...=1&Itemid=1

They ship Mon-Wed and prefer to ship to a buisness.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 06:01 PM

I've used skipjacks in Tennessee. Top bait for blues. We cut the gut pocket out, then filleted the sides. Put gut pocket on one hook and filets on another. Half the fun is catching the skipjacks below a dam. Use light spinning and tie on three or four jigs and have at it. Can catch a five gallon bucket full in just a matter of a few minutes. Keep them fresh as possible.
Posted By: B_vandy

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 06:47 PM

I'll take one skip jack over a net full of big gizzards anyday. Best blue and striper bait I've every used I got one froze right now in the freezr here at work that I caught durning lunch. I like to cut them into steaks and use a 4/0 khale hooked through the bottom/gut pocket they have a hard ridge that runs down their belly and that will allow you to cast much harder if you are fishing from the bank in current.

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 07:38 PM

Just ordered 10 skipjacks 12"-16" about 1.5 lbs each total price was $30.00. I'm so excited to get to try these out!!
Posted By: Red White and Blue Guide Svc

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 08:07 PM

I ordered from them a while back...never got my skipjacks. Hope your experience is different.

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 08:42 PM

Did it over the phone and got a FedEx tracking #. Sorry to hear about that.
Posted By: cathog

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 09:30 PM

I have made several trips to catch skipjacks. They are a good bait but in my experience they arent any better than big gizzard shad. From now on I will use gizzard shad that I didnt have to drive 6 hours or more to get. Hope you do better with them than I have.
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/13/10 10:48 PM

They are great bait, fun to catch and certain times of the year you might get some big stripers while fishing for them so hang on! They do get mushy, we would wrap ours in newspaper and freeze. I don't think a big blue will swim past a fresh slab of gizzard shad any faster than he would a slab of skipjack.

I bet ladyfish (very similar to skipjack herring) would also be a good catfish bait. I catch plenty of those every trip to the coast.
Posted By: Big D & Little D

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/14/10 12:07 AM

Great Bait! On the Big Muddy and the Red
Posted By: banned-account

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/14/10 04:38 PM

I have heard so many mixed reviews, I wish a guide would chime in and let us know his experience with them. Basically someone who uses them often and could really give us a good review.

I dont even have a lead here due to it being 50/50 that the skipjack is better. I will keep peaking in on this from time to time.

-Z
Posted By: albertking

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/14/10 05:08 PM

if they were in the waters i fish i might use them ... but they ain't ... plenty of other bait available that is as good or better ... why go to all the trouble ... i have not heard of any catfish guides importing skip jack for bait ... there is no reason to do so

when we fished the cabelas king kat classic, 2 years ago in the ohio river, we spent a whole day driving across kentucky to catch skip jack below another dam ... the fish woudln't touch the skip jack ... all the fish we caught was caught on cut perch that we brought with us from oklahoma
Posted By: Chris Hall

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 04:55 AM

Skipjack????? when i go to the cost i can get a tun of them next time i go i'll have to keep some for home.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 02:32 PM

All right men i live in skip-jack country / I use skips in the fall // heavy in the winter / some in the spring / I dont waste them in the heat Big blues are hard to find in warm water /// Caught & used skips for years // / Won several tourneys with skips in Texas Lakes where there are none naturally / / Be carefull buying skips some folks dont package them right & they will be freezer burnt... I gave Little D some to try this winter On Tawakoni / / / I have had 2 freight - trains kick my [censored] on Tawakoni with skips i will be back this winter Cathog!!!! We will fish hard!!LOL
Posted By: Dominoman

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 03:14 PM

Big Sam, do this mean you're taking orders for skipjacks for the winter run to Tawak? We're making a shad run this evening, gonna see if we can stock up.

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 03:50 PM

They just came in!!! I had em shipped to a family members house so they would go straight to a freezer. They came frozen wrapped in newspaper in a styrofoam box. Gonna hit Waco on Sat. evening!!

Posted By: The Tooth

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 03:57 PM

anyone ever used them at Lewisville or Ray Bob????
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 09:42 PM

There's no miracle bait (except the helicopter lure), however there are plenty of really good catfish baits out there. One of the best is skipjack herring, but then mackeral is a good catfish bait as is just about any fish that has an oily texture and emits oil into the water. Shad is about as good as any bait you can get. Catalpa worms are great as well, but unless you have a tree, you probably won't get any. Basically, if you aren't catching fish where you are fishing, you are probably fishing where the fish aren't eating, or you are doing something wrong that doesn't include your choice of bait.
Posted By: Red White and Blue Guide Svc

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 09:46 PM

glad to hear you got yours...I never did but may give them a second chance, depending on your review of how well they work...
Posted By: cathog

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/15/10 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Sam
All right men i live in skip-jack country / I use skips in the fall // heavy in the winter / some in the spring / I dont waste them in the heat Big blues are hard to find in warm water /// Caught & used skips for years // / Won several tourneys with skips in Texas Lakes where there are none naturally / / Be carefull buying skips some folks dont package them right & they will be freezer burnt... I gave Little D some to try this winter On Tawakoni / / / I have had 2 freight - trains kick my [censored] on Tawakoni with skips i will be back this winter Cathog!!!! We will fish hard!!LOL

Sam I never said they dont work, I just said that I wasn't going to drive 6 or more hours each way to get some when I can get gizzard shad (which most of the time work as well or better for me IMO) here without driving LOL. Now I will grant that if we could get them fresh here, there might not be a better big blue bait. If you and Johnny want to bring me some I will make sure to soak them good to catch a big blue on. When yall come down I will make sure to block out some time to fish with yall instead of just chunking nets for bait LOL(my dang shoulder hurt for a week). Hopefully I will be back from my tuna trip in time to come see yall at lake Fork next weekend.
Posted By: banned-account

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/16/10 05:16 AM

I just love how this is put. I can tell you like those skip j's smile
Posted By: Chase ™

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/16/10 04:35 PM

You've got a seat on my boat if you bring me some of those skippies! grin

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/18/10 12:28 PM

Well dad and I hit the lake about 7:00 pm last night. Caught us some gizzard shad and did a drift pass with no takers. Right at dusk we anchored out on a point with shallow to deep water all around had marked some big fish right off the drop off. Fished 1/2 the rods gizzard and the other 1/2 skipjack. Not much action till about 10:30 we had one big hit on skipjack but no taker then right when dad was about to reel it in to check the bait the rod (med-heavy) doubles over to the water and the drag (set pretty tight) started spitting out line. Dads biggest blue was 7# till this point. He grabs the rod and tried to just hold on because this fish was BIG. The fight was short lived my 65# power pro snapped like a twig!! I use palomar knots and have NEVER had a fish break off. I felt so bad for dad this very much looked like the fish of a lifetime but at least he's still out there.
Posted By: Jared Nic

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/18/10 01:03 PM

That's to bad for your Dad Curtis, that's a sick feeling when you lose a big fish. I got a feeling you will pull a monster out of there soon.
Posted By: gatorgar55

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/18/10 03:34 PM

I would urge you to throw a castnet for shad. There is no substitute for fresh live bait or even fresh dead.

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/18/10 03:41 PM

I did use the cast net and used 1/2 and 1/2 to see what would get the better bite. That fish took the skipjack. Sometimes I gotta push the envelope and see whats new or try what hasen't been tried.
Posted By: Smoky

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/18/10 09:17 PM

Were the skips still nice and frozen when you got them? Where they vacumed sealed? How big were they? Thanks

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/18/10 09:49 PM

Still frozen, wrapped in butcher paper, all about 1-1.5# @ 14". I got some 2 gallon ziplocks and put one wrapped fish in each bag, rolled out the air closed and froze them.
Posted By: opus

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/19/10 12:20 AM

summtin wrong drag slippin and line broke aint suppose to happen, sure sounds to me like line got cut on sumthing
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/19/10 10:55 AM

My brother used to live in Columbus Ky right on the banks of the Mississippi. One of his inlaws was a professional catfisherman.
Skipjack is what he used on his jug lines. Of course they were live but I guess frozen would work too.

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/19/10 04:09 PM

[Sam I never said they dont work, I just said that I wasn't going to drive 6 or more hours each way to get some when I can get gizzard shad (which most of the time work as well or better for me IMO) here without driving LOL. Now I will grant that if we could get them fresh here, there might not be a better big blue bait. If you and Johnny want to bring me some I will make sure to soak them good to catch a big blue on. When yall come down I will make sure to block out some time to fish with yall instead of just chunking nets for bait LOL(my dang shoulder hurt for a week). Hopefully I will be back from my tuna trip in time to come see yall at lake Fork next weekend. [/quote]

Were ready to go 2 more days & we will becoming to the great state of Texas!!!! I'll bring some Absorbine Jr. for that sore shoulder... You know if i got some to spare I'll bring ya a couple this winter!!!

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/19/10 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Dominoman
Big Sam, do this mean you're taking orders for skipjacks for the winter run to Tawak? We're making a shad run this evening, gonna see if we can stock up.

Dammitt Lonnie your as hard to find as catalpa worms in the winter bang Good 2 see ya find me and Johnny if your coming to Lake fork this week flag

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/19/10 04:32 PM

I just love how this is put. I can tell you like those skip j's smile [/quote]

this is my STANDARD reply to Skips ALAWAYS!!LOLThe skip-jack is an elusive temptation for fisherman & Big blues! There mere presence could be deemed "Holy" The Blues tremble with excitement as a freshley cut skip enters the water after a rigorus ceremony. They can bring sucess to day that normally spells doom.. Their mighty presence is sought by many but known only to a few..the few that brave the challenge, time and $$$ it takes to track them down. Then there is the "catch" once a ceremonial grade skip is caught (17 inches min) it must be cared for with loving hands and stored with the ut-most care...They must be guarded 24-7 from intruders wishing to help themselves to the solid gold prize!!!Then comes the day for action!!! What a day it could be for those who rig their tackle with the strongest line , the best hooks, and strongest rods and reels.....I am gonna have to stop now and go home to check my alarm system on the freezer!!!!
Posted By: dbraune

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/19/10 07:50 PM

i have also used cut mullet with good results.
Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 07/19/10 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: dbraune
i have also used cut mullet with good results.

I am glad that someone has some luck with these. The meat was like mashed potatoes when I tried to use some of it.
Posted By: FishWalton

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 04/16/12 02:45 AM

I ordered some frozen skipjack from fishingfreddies a while back and never received the order. They failed to respond to several emails. Finally filed complaint with PayPal and finally got my money back. They are unreliable.

Posted By: J Mur

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 12/10/12 11:15 PM

same results from Fishin Freddies
Posted By: Jared Nic

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 12/11/12 12:03 AM

Same thing happenned to me with Fishin Freddies also last year. I can catch shad throughout the winter,but wanted some skipjack to try out. They got my money and never sent the bait. Fishin Freddies is a joke.
Posted By: bsmith0525

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 12/11/12 03:24 AM

gonna check with my uncle when i go to mississippi for Christmas, and see if he has any skipjack in the freezer that i can snag. he and his brother go every spring and catch alot of them
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 12/11/12 03:14 PM

where can you fish for skipjack around here?
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: Skipjack Herring???? - 12/11/12 04:50 PM

tip: fiesta food sells fresh mullet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum