Texas Fishing Forum

Pontoon boats and rough water?

Posted By: Lead Pencil

Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 04:17 AM

I have been dreaming about buying a pontoon boat lately. I love to catfish but before I do something stupid I was wondering how they handle rough water. Would a guy be better
off with a deep v or ??? Thanks
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 04:21 AM

I run both, and prefer the deep V more than the pontoon.
Posted By: mudbelly

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 12:24 PM

I have had poontoons for 20 plus years. A few observations:
My current rig is powered by a 50 hp. a nice 10 minute cruise on a calm day can be agony on a windy day exposed to dead on winds. have plenty of power.

Don't have too big a person and gear load and arrange the load for best performance.

Make good weather decisions, we all like catfishing those windy points where the big ones hang out but some days are stay at home days if the wind is too much.

Have several launch point choices for windy days, know fishing spots close to the ramp.

Use common sense. Poontoons are my favorite.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 12:55 PM

toons are great, they might take a while to get there but when you do, you will have the most comfortable fishin on the lake
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 01:03 PM

I like our deckboat but I sure do love fishing out of those pontoon boats.
Posted By: Eric Starr

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 01:53 PM

I love mine for fishing rough water not to big of a deal for me but like said above be sure that it is maxed out on power or you will be sorry trust me i screwed up and bought a 21' with a 40hp mercury just because i got such a good deal on it and kick myself in the a$$ bang every time i take it out not enough power i would go with a 90hp or more if i had to do it again. One good thing is they are very comfortable to fish out of especially if you have kids.
Posted By: opus

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 04:17 PM

There is such a thing as changin motors if its a great deal those 40--50 hps bring good money
Posted By: juggin4cats

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 04:34 PM

I have a 22' with a 90hp and I would have to say it pushes it very well and for the most part I have been satisfied with it. I have a friend that has a 40hp on a 20' and hates it and would give anything if he could go up in size. I would have to say NO less than a 90hp if your going out on large lakes.
Posted By: BAMAboy

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/01/10 04:46 PM

You can't beat the comfort factor of a pontoon, but for rough water you can't beat a Deep V. Just consider how you want to use it. I went with a deep v just incase I get caught on the lake when bad weather shows up. juggle
Posted By: Lead Pencil

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/02/10 01:39 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate your imput. What are the best bang for the buck in deep v's?

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/02/10 10:43 AM

Have you looked at any alum. deckboats I love mine same comfort as pontoon on a boat hull
Posted By: Kid Chuckles

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/02/10 11:52 AM

My experience with pontoons in rough water the water will come over the front and almost knock you off the boat. Not at all for rough water. Was sitting near front of one and just hit big boat wake and almost pulled us in. But they are comfortable.
Posted By: David Cole

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/02/10 02:23 PM

Anyone see the new Ranger 2250SS? SWEET They have one at work...wowza!!...not a pure pontoon and not a center console boat...but an SUV boat... now, if I can just win the Lotto... OMG...LOL. and, for Rangers, not all the pricey. I didn't say cheap, just not $65k like some of them are...

http://www.rangerboats.com/flash/gallery.cfm?mid=5775&gid=34

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/02/10 03:46 PM

Looks like a deckboat to me
Posted By: parttime

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/02/10 03:53 PM

Yup, looks like a CC Deckboat. There are a few manufacturers that have them.
Posted By: fishingreg

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/03/10 03:09 AM

I came from 16 years of fishing 60 to 100 miles off the coast in my former boat a 26' Glacier Bay with twin 150's so most of these waves look small to me. I bought a 23' tri-toon when I got here becuase it seemed to be the closest thing to my cat down South. The ride is good and does not pound and I have not found waves big enough to spray up over the bow. I am on the water pretty much every weekend. It is a tri-toon and probably has more bow flotation than a 2 tube and I have a 150 on the back so I have a good bit of power but I love it and would take it out in anything my Dad takes his 22' offshore Hydra Sport in except I would not put it in salt water, it has too much to rust. Other than that, it is a great boat.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/03/10 03:14 AM

i have had my toon on the lake when estimated 40 winds came up with a storm, only time i was worried about waves coming over the front deck, but just trimmed it up and went on. its a 24 ft with the larger size pontoons. it will also go in 1.5 foot of water for when they are up shallow
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/03/10 01:03 PM

My Tri-toon w/150 Merc does quite well, however I have no reason to go out when wind is over 25 anyway.
Posted By: tiny

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/03/10 02:39 PM

they're very hard on you when you're in rough water because you're a lot higher up off the water than you would be in a regular boat ... I thought they'd be really nice too, until I went out in one on a windy day ... that rascal threw me around like I was a rag doll
Posted By: txsrig

Re: Pontoon boats and rough water? - 06/05/10 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By: juggin4cats
I have a 22' with a 90hp and I would have to say it pushes it very well and for the most part I have been satisfied with it. I have a friend that has a 40hp on a 20' and hates it and would give anything if he could go up in size. I would have to say NO less than a 90hp if your going out on large lakes.

Excellent advice! If you decide on a pontoon get the most motor you can afford. I also have a 90 horse and it was well worth the money. Been caught out in bad weather and it got us home just fine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum