Texas Fishing Forum

when do catfish spawn?

Posted By: scooter79

when do catfish spawn? - 03/18/10 01:18 AM

When do catfish spawn, I have access to a small lake (about the size of Marine Creek). I was wondering when I could expect them in the shallows,Where to look etc.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/18/10 01:26 AM

when the cottonwoods do their thing, LOL but its pretty close
Posted By: Philpot

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/18/10 01:30 AM

Here where I live in Coleman County, you can time the channel cat spawn by when the wheat starts turning, ie changing color from green to the straw color just prior to harvesting. This is ususally early May. You'll start seeing eggs in females kitties early in the spring, but they're not going to spawn until late spring.
Posted By: albertking

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/18/10 01:36 AM

what philpot sed ... blues & channels usually get started slightly ahead of flats ... by the end of june most are done but some flats will still be spawnin' a few days after 4th of july
Posted By: marked131

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/18/10 03:58 PM

So if i went out and dropped a rig for cats i coul catch some? As long as theres cats near by?
Posted By: Shep M

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/18/10 10:29 PM

How do you ctach them during spawn, I heard they arent eating then?
Posted By: Philpot

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/19/10 12:59 AM

Find rocks, like rip rap or naturally occuring rocks, and they should be there in fairly shallow water. Fishhauler told me this last year, and the young gentleman was right.

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/19/10 01:12 AM

yes they eat, anything that comes around the nest
Posted By: Dinty

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/19/10 01:14 AM

good time for using cane poles from the boat...
Posted By: Lga043

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/19/10 01:17 AM

Hey Shep, follow Stinkbait-Tom around, if you don't see him use your nose, cause he will have the sure shot bucket open, or get you some sure shot and go to Rocky Point about the last week in may, move up and down the bank from the point to where the rocks end on the other side of the bridge till you get your limit!!!
Posted By: Bigblue or Gaspergoo

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/19/10 02:59 PM

Channnels start spawning when water temps hold a steady 70 degrees , blues will start a couple weeks later than that.. Just find u some nice brushy, rocky, timber infested shallow waters and the bite should be on .. Usually May-June prime time for spawning cats.. thumb
Posted By: Perch Prince

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/20/10 08:01 AM

I figure the real question is, When do catfish hit the creek?

They are moving in now and will be there thru May 15. April is killer time in the creeks for channels, blues and flatheads.
Posted By: Cody Neace

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/20/10 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Lga043
Hey Shep, follow Stinkbait-Tom around, if you don't see him use your nose, cause he will have the sure shot bucket open, or get you some sure shot and go to Rocky Point about the last week in may, move up and down the bank from the point to where the rocks end on the other side of the bridge till you get your limit!!!

rolfmao

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/20/10 03:58 PM

Why is everbody always pickin on me?????

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/20/10 04:49 PM

dont worry tom i like the smell of stink bait too

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/20/10 11:20 PM

sure shot aint bad but i got a deal of DK blood its been sitting out almost a year thumb
Posted By: tiny

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/20/10 11:43 PM

up here in northern oklahoma the third week of may the bluecat will have all left the lake to go up the arkansas to spawn and some will go up the cimarron ... the channelcat will be feeding heavily around rocky shoreline for a while after that but then it starts getting tough because the big male channelcat will be up in their holes and not feeding ... can still catch a few females lurking around that have dumped their eggs by the second week of june. below dams you will find lots of bluecat that are still feeding because they can't go up river any further than the dams. when mid july rolls back around some of the big brooder fish will be making their way back to the lake. down in texas around the dallas area this will all take place about a week or two earlier but most of those lakes down there don't have large tributaries so the fish can't really go up river. they'll get up in the thick stuff though... like lillypads and cattails. hope this helps
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/21/10 05:27 PM

75 degrees F
but they will move shallow before that
usually about 60-65
Posted By: RedNecksBaitnTackle08

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/22/10 01:54 AM

They are spawning now in benbrookelake and now everwhere untill june...

Posted By: Sunfish Fly

Re: when do catfish spawn? - 03/22/10 02:27 AM

Early summer is when they strt but I've heard of it lasting the summer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum