Texas Fishing Forum

Where to buy shad?

Posted By: Ryan Cook

Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 03:02 AM

Hey guys i have read on here that you can buy shad at fiesta. I went to the one in fort worth off of 28th and they said they didnt carry them but im not sure if she understood me completly, she didnt understand english too well. have any of you guys bought shad from this location and if you did where at.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 03:04 AM

not heard of buying shad, but buying buffalo

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 03:19 AM

Maybe thats what i read. Come to think about it, that is what i read. sorry. What about cut talopia i have tons of it in the freezer from fairfield. Have any of you guys used it? I had good luck on in fairfield.
Posted By: Lga043

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 03:29 AM

I saw on here somewhere that they carry ladyfish, and someone said they were skipjack, which is good bait, I didn't know about that at the time, but I did buy a buffalo from the fiesta store!!!
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 03:29 AM

Ryan you can get shad fillets at Olsens in Lake Worth on Roberts Cut off. They keep them in Mason Jars in the freezer. Before I started catching and putting them up in the fall I'd buy the shad fillets from them and they worked pretty good.

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 03:36 AM

wouldnt hurt to try the tilapia, let us know how it goes

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 04:03 AM

I heard that Olsens had live blue-gill or sunfish, Im not sure which one!!!

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 04:13 AM

im goin to try the tilapia this weekend. if it works then ill have enough bait for a year. ill let you guys know how it goes.

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 04:15 AM

wish i could find some shad. the way my pool looks right now i could probably start raisin them!!!
Posted By: Whisker Wrangler

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 04:17 AM

My fishing partner has gotten Gizzard shad from an Asian market... well, the package said "Gizzard Shad" but they looked kinda funny... but they were a shad of some sort.

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 04:43 AM

All i know is Dont buy the shad from cabelas. A buddy and i camped out a fairfield a couple weeks ago and we got raided by racoons and they ate EVERYTHING at camp including our breakfast even opened out tackle boxes and got our stink bait. The ONLY thing they did not touch was the packaged shad from cabelas. We were using that sat morning for bait and not a single bite. then we went and netted for tilapia and had caught some shad. As soon as we started using the fresh cut shad we started catching. So between the coons and no bites on the packaged shad we decided never to buy that [censored] again. I think its from the preservitives.
Posted By: Larry in Tawakoni

Re: Where to buy shad? - 02/26/10 07:38 PM

I have tried tilapia but it is so soft and squishy it didnt stay on the hook to well, and I just didnt like it. Stick with Buffalo... it works great : )
Posted By: trbrodnreel

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/01/10 02:54 AM

How many of you are interested in buying shad for bait either alive or frozen, I have been going through the steps to becoming a bait dealer in texas, I would have live shad silversides etc. This would be in the north texas area around Texoma, Ray roberts.
If your interested just give me a shout at trbrodnreel@suddenlink.net

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/01/10 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: trbrodnreel
How many of you are interested in buying shad for bait either alive or frozen, I have been going through the steps to becoming a bait dealer in texas, I would have live shad silversides etc. This would be in the north texas area around Texoma, Ray roberts.

I live in Sanger, and if you sell live shad or live perch in this area I will come and buy some from you!!!
Posted By: MJHartman

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/01/10 09:42 PM

Those racoons are something at Fairfield.One trip down there we were camping out/running lines at night.We had just taken a break.I tied the boat to a tree had about ten foot of rope out into the water to the boat,and the anchor out the back to keep the boat still.I was takeing a nap when my friend woke me up stating someone is trying to steal your boat.When I got down to the boat all the catfish we had caught were laying in the bottom of the boat all chewed up.The little theifs did not even bother closing the ice chest.They must have been trying to do something when they hit my tilt &trim.waking up my friend.If they ate all the other stuff including the stink bait and left the other bait alone.That is a bad review for that bait.
Posted By: Whisker Wrangler

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/01/10 11:38 PM

Man I wish I was closer! I would definately buy some shad.
Posted By: Brother Terry

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/01/10 11:57 PM

All it takes is a 35 dollar bait permit....I used to buy one each year so I could sell to the locals...
Posted By: Brother Terry

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/01/10 11:58 PM

Johnny just bought some at Olsens today for back up bait ...
Posted By: BAMAboy

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/02/10 12:14 AM

I would, or learn how to throw a cast net. juggle Not doing so good on the latter. bang
Posted By: parttime

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/02/10 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: MJHartman
Those racoons are something at Fairfield.One trip down there we were camping out/running lines at night.We had just taken a break.I tied the boat to a tree had about ten foot of rope out into the water to the boat,and the anchor out the back to keep the boat still.I was takeing a nap when my friend woke me up stating someone is trying to steal your boat.When I got down to the boat all the catfish we had caught were laying in the bottom of the boat all chewed up.The little theifs did not even bother closing the ice chest.They must have been trying to do something when they hit my tilt &trim.waking up my friend.If they ate all the other stuff including the stink bait and left the other bait alone.That is a bad review for that bait.

hahaha, great story!
Posted By: Red White and Blue Guide Svc

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/02/10 01:42 AM

maybe you can find an oriental market and buy a whole milkfish...I filleted one for cut bait saturday, and it worked pretty well. It is tough stuff, I could hardly get it off a hook when we were done.
Posted By: TwistedDreams

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/02/10 06:42 PM

I buy frozen Shad at a convenience store near the lake, it works really well too, and its pretty cheap.
Posted By: rducky625

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/02/10 09:36 PM

Near what lake and which store?
Posted By: TwistedDreams

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/02/10 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: rducky625
Near what lake and which store?

Sorry. Waco. And the store is called B & B
Posted By: RHORHO

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/03/10 05:07 PM

I always catch alot of shad in the summer and have frozen some for future use but I must be doing something wrong - any special way to preserve them?
Posted By: Chase ™

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/03/10 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: RHORHO
I always catch alot of shad in the summer and have frozen some for future use but I must be doing something wrong - any special way to preserve them?

After catching them put them in a 5 gallon bucket for a few minutes and give them a chance to get the slime and loose scales off of them. Get you a bait net and scoop the out and get all the excess water you can off of them and put them in a baggie and sprinkle a little salt in with them. Make sure you do not freeze them in water.
Posted By: RodneySr

Re: Where to buy shad? - 03/06/10 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: RHORHO

Last few batched I netted I kept in a livewell most were still alive when I got home I vacume sealed them whole then straight to the freezer. Went and baited a fre jugs last weekend and they produced really well
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum