Texas Fishing Forum

Calaveras Crappie Wall

Posted By: Rleo50

Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 01:29 PM

I guess it's official. No more fishing off the wall at Calaveras.
Posted By: ttblk94supra

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 03:22 PM

when did this happen?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 03:47 PM

It was looooooog overdue!

Too many people put their lives at risk fishing off that wall over how many 35ish years or more?

Untold thousands of fish caught there over the decades, and memories made that spand generations, and it would take only one time for someone to fall off that wall or get pulled in by a fish, and drown, and get sucked into the power plant.

It wouldn't be worth it folks.

We were dealing with a time bomb, and cooler, and smarter people than we have figured this out.

And talk about security! Someone could easily slip up on that wall and scan the area for some easy access to sabatage the plant because nobody would be looking for a fisherman coming in from the wall!....No!

We have got to secure the area, and any access that seems a threat to our community must be met head on and with a vengence as to not let anyone take over that plant.

They probably are really contemplating that maybe it would best to shut the entire lake down than risk our security wouldn't you think.

I am so happy that we have people on the job, who will now earn their pay, and keep those terrorist and potential corpses from interfering with the production of electricity for south Texas!

My hat is off to all those whom they may be that are responsible for the decision to close the wall.

It was a brave and courageous move on their part!

Good Job!
Posted By: Army Chief

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 10:37 PM

Sarcasm aside, I think it's a good decision. I'm truley embarrassed and saddened at the amount of trash left behind by fishermen. I'm sure some of it has washed up, but not to the extent that has accumulated there.

As for safety. We were out there on 2 jan. A man stepped off his boat and fell into the water. His motor still running. he could not get back into the boat by himself. We helped him. Not that anything did happen, but the potential was there, had we not been there that day.

Besides, it's just an inconvenience. plenty of fish elsewhere in the lake.
Posted By: parttime

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 10:50 PM

A little more details please? I was out there Saturday and people were on the wall, I was out there the Firday before and people were on the wall, I was out there the Saturday before that and people were on the wall.. So, when did the wall officially get closed?

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Army Chief
Sarcasm aside, I think it's a good decision. I'm truley embarrassed and saddened at the amount of trash left behind by fishermen. I'm sure some of it has washed up, but not to the extent that has accumulated there.

As for safety. We were out there on 2 jan. A man stepped off his boat and fell into the water. His motor still running. he could not get back into the boat by himself. We helped him. Not that anything did happen, but the potential was there, had we not been there that day.

Besides, it's just an inconvenience. plenty of fish elsewhere in the lake.

I disagree, this wont stop people from leaving trash, they will leave it where they fish next. this is not the way to fix that problem.

The man could have stepped off his boat anywhere. This reasoning would put all lakes off limits.......

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 11:14 PM

you're right. it won't stop people from littering. In my own personal observation, there isn't any one place worse than the crappie wall.

The point is, he didn't fall off the boat anywhere else. he did it at the crappie wall.

Quite frankly, I could care less if it was open or closed. I can understand the reasons listed by the sarcastic poster i was replying to.

Unless any of us were part of the decision making team, no one knows why it's closed.
Posted By: jsb91010

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/03/09 11:46 PM

so when a boat sinks, or flips over in the middle of the lake we should close the whole lake? that reasoning is garbage... Altough to me it's not a big deal i'd like to see it open; xcept now all those ding dongs that don't know how to actually "drive" there boat safely around the lake will be driving around the lake instead of piling up on the wall. Great

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: parttime
A little more details please? I was out there Saturday and people were on the wall, I was out there the Firday before and people were on the wall, I was out there the Saturday before that and people were on the wall.. So, when did the wall officially get closed?

I called this morning and asked the attendant and he said it was official. How it will be enforced is beyond me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 02:18 AM

My cousin fell of that wall three times by himself, never hurt him or anyone else, wait a minute, my back hurt a little bit, he is 6'2" and 290lbs and too scard to swim to the bank.

But on a serious note I think it is pretty stupid. And I did like fishing there, but I havent had a boat on that lake in years though.

matt
Posted By: roger t

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 02:33 AM

I noticed there were people on the crappie wall this last Monday.
I have a feeling we are going to see a fence along with signs being put up one of thse days. 1st they close off the hot water dischage back in the 90s, now the crappie wall, I wonder what's next ?
Roger

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 03:39 AM

I think we all know what's next!

Those of us who have fished that lake since it opened who knew the lake back then and how good it was know it's pretty much been down hill since the late eighties.

It's now with the additions to the plant over the years it's basically a tropical fish steam bath right now, and with them downsizing the park and facilities along with continually closing areas in the past and more so at present, it's probably safe to say we can see the writing on the wall, pun intended!

It's a cooling pond, and that is all CPS is concerned with, so enjoy it for the sort while it has left guys.

Not trying to be sarcastic either!

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 03:44 PM

It would be nice if CPS would publish their game plan for Calaveras/Braunig, instead of keeping us in the dark. When someone is quiet about their intentions, usually things are not going to be for the better.
Roger
Posted By: go-redfin-go

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 05:28 PM

Reading all this is funny, you guys have to much time on your hands. Understand this we the people who fish don't have a say in what is probably already done. We are losing the lake because the people running it have run it into the ground. This lake could make money with the right people at the wheel and it would pay for itself to have the garbage picked up. Does not matter where you are, prople will make a mess and show no respect if that is how they where raised. I see tuns of people fishing from the banks because San Antonio has no real good parks to hang at. I might add we do have a boat ride on the river the you can sit in and rise 9 feet, however you can't sleep their.

The wall should be open if you drown you do it at your own risk. The comment about a boat flipping over in the middle of the lake was the best, because if that is the case then it should of been shut long ago.

Now for all you guys that have endless time to write on this forum my advise is to go fishin while you can.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 06:39 PM

I'm retired, own 2 boats, live 30 minutes from the lake. Shouldn't I be concerned ?
Roger

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/04/09 06:40 PM

So reading these threads is funny, and we have too much time on our hands, but then why click on the topic and bother reading it if it will just make you laugh?

As for not having any say, have you ever heard the words customer service?

We are customers and they run a business, at least the last time I checked it wasn't free, so they collect a fee, and being a customer you expect a product for having paid for it, so don't just assume that we have no say in what happens or how that product is delivered.

The fact is someone has taken in a whole lot of money over the years, and it just might hurt them just a little if they lost that income wouldn't you think?

Mismanaged or not, someone somewhere is pocketing the money that is generated, but that isn't our concern.

What is our concern is what are we going to get for our hard earned dollar at the gate every time we show up? Another area that going to be shut down? Would be nice to know their plans, and intentions, unless they feel that maybe keeping the lake open is just maybe too much trouble for them.

It might well be it's just too much trouble, but they sure don't want to completely shut down that cash cow do they?

Yeah, I'm also retired, paid my dues, and glad I now have too much time on my hands. I also own a boat (paid for) and 3 kayaks, Ain't life grand?

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/05/09 03:46 PM

Yep life is grand-been fishing that lake for 40 years and if it concerns you guys then great, awesome. However, it will not change by anyone posting on this forum, what should and should not be done with the lakes. Since you have so much time and have a grand life and alot of boats, try casting your concerns on the people making the decisions. If you win you win for all of us and you can go and buy some boats to help the boat stores with their problems. Just a problem solve type of guy or are you.
Posted By: jsb91010

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 01:15 AM

hard to tell from the pic, but people were on the wall today...as of today... OPEN!

Posted By: tdwhite03

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 01:28 PM

I was there yesterday and there were plenty of folks on the wall. I have been told that the wall is "closed" as well, but that only means you cannot stand on the wall. You can fish from your boat and noone will say a word to you about it.

Jimbo, I think your comments are a little far fetched... the intake is a LONG way from the wall and there is no way someone could fall off the wall and be sucked into the intake...not to mention that the intake is positioned at the bottom of the lake 40ft deep.

I dont know but I have heard allot of fisherman saying that when the second plant comes online calaveras will start producing world record size red fish. Not sure how the warmer water will effect all the other fish but dont see how it will harm them. Seems to me that it will mess up the natural spawn for the cats, but I guess we will all see in the years to come!

Jimbo is right about customer service... if we all call, email, and or write CPS they might listen.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 01:52 PM

It was meant to be far fetched, and if you read it with for what it says, it's all tongue in cheek, sarcastic humor, and didn't think I'd offend someone, but I obviously did, and I apologize!

I know I shouldn't quit my day job and become a comedian, but I don't have a job to quit so come on, lighten up!

You guys take this stuff too seriously and some get so tightly wound they then make personal attacks and say we have too much time on our hands and basically shouldn't be worrying about it but just go fishing.

I somewhat agree, but if someone dosen't write about this, then how are others who actually read these treads going to find out what's going on out there.

I'm sure, maybe not to some, but I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who weren't aware, and it does concern them, and if anyone who reads it and could care less, then show it, by not commenting on it!

Sure, and if it does concern you, but still you just passively just go along and not complain, and that is what most people do, and why for the few, the majority have to suffer because people are afraid to speak up.

As for talking to the powers that be, Mr. Martin just assumes that nobody is talking and bringing it to their attention.

You are dead wrong in that assumption sir!

Now I'm pretty much done with this thread, and have no hard feelings, because I don't even know Mr. Martin, and he has his own opinions just like everyone here, but I guess I'll just go and spend all my extra free time as he says helping out our local boat dealers and sporting goods stores, in my little effort to stimulate the economy, and in the meanwhile, maybe an email or phone call on your behalf Mr. Martin, either pro or con to the powers that be, would be better than taking offense, and worrying about how people spend their free time, and what someone writes on a fishing forum.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 02:07 PM

Was out there yesterday and the attendant also told me, you can fish from your boat at the wall, but you can't get on the wall. We decided to skip the wall. I'll post our fishing report (including my big striper) in another post.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 04:23 PM

I have the feeling that some of our comments/suggestions are being heard by CPS or by those who have influence at CPS. Maybe I'm dreaming, but the "TFF" is read by a lot of people. At one time , we fishermen had a "voice" through the Express News. I'm not sure this exists anymore.
Roger
Posted By: The Texas Alien

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 08:05 PM

Here is a comment from Scott at CPS. I wrote him this morning and he promptly replied.

Don, I heard the rumor about the wall being closed to fishing for the first time this morning at the Kids Fishing Day at Calaveras. I'll check with Security to confirm and let you know. We are still waiting on responses to park management RFP. We hope to have a management contract by October. We have no plans to close the parks. Thanks for your inquiry, Scott.

We are rummin' & sunnin' on the island of Sint Marteen.
Posted By: Steven168

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 08:07 PM

Don, your info is ALWAYS appreciated! Thanks!
Steven

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 09:26 PM

thumb +1

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 09:59 PM

Thanks Don!!

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 10:01 PM

Got to apologize if my earlier posts seemed touchy/antagonistic. Was having one of those days. No excuse for it though.

3.5 working days left wearing ACU's. Yeah!

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/06/09 10:11 PM

thumb Go Army! flag

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/07/09 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
thumb Go Army! flag

Agreed, Parttime= Retired Army! smile

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/09/09 07:32 PM

I guess I am done with this tread also, However since MR JIMBO made a comment about me needing to call in, he does not have a clue,because Jimbo said he does not know me, so he never knew the fact that I have called on his and my behalf several times. Oh thats right he did not quit his day job yet. If you read the tread, I said it was funny, I guess your the only comic on the forum. And thanks again MR JIMBO SIR, for shopping Mr. OBAMA appreciates your efforts.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/09/09 09:48 PM

Wow... get a room, or take it to pm........ violin

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/13/09 12:19 AM

Okay, we have an answer from CPS. Scott Smith is in charge of what happens at Calaveras and Braunig. Here is his communique today:

Don, I have confirmed with our Security that CPS Energy has not made the crappie wall at Calaveras off-limits to fishermen, although I have heard that some fishermen were told by our security not to anchor on or fish from the wall. For now it is OK to fish from there. We are considering how best to clarify areas that are off-limits to the public. If anything new develops I will let you know. Thanks, Scott.

Ya'll behave and be careful around that wall.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/13/09 01:21 AM

Thanks Don.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/13/09 01:59 AM

Typical..that gal with the badge was probably never told what to guard. Perhaps somebody from CPS needs to sit down with somebody from SARA & discuss the park operation. Now, that's a thought !
Roger

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/13/09 02:08 AM

In SARA employee's behalf, it was security folks from CPS that ran some people off the wall. SARA employees were probably just relaying the event...they do not have much to do with making those kind of security off-limits rules...except along the shoreline. I have been asked over the years to move my anchor further from the rocks along the swallow bridge rip-rap by CPS, not SARA.

SARA will not be there much longer and they are probably a little negative about it. I wonder who will take their place?

Roger, totally agree that we all hope that there is a closer communication between CPS and the park service.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/13/09 12:32 PM

Thanks Don for all you do, and on staying on top of these kinds of things. thumb

Posted By: Kyle46N

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/13/09 05:18 PM

Awesome! I enjoy fishing the wall after catfishing in the morning. Being in a canoe, it's difficult to fish for reds via trolling, or other open water methods. So it's nice to have the wall there to catch a few.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/14/09 03:23 AM

Thanks Don!! You da man!
Posted By: drain surgeon

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 05/30/16 09:12 PM

I love fishing the crappie wall at Calaveras lake, and a few kayakers had to ruin it for the honest fisherman, instead of making everyone lose because of bone head kayakers, just ban them fishing the wall..kayakers off limits for wall
Posted By: rms2005

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 05/30/16 11:42 PM

yea lets just ban all kayakers because of a couple of idiots.there are plenty of fools on boats as well let alone the jet skis. some peoples ways of thinking used to really surprise me, now they just amuse me. I have a family member that works there tell us the other day they had plans to put up orange buoys around the wall like they have at the dam, just a rumor? who knows. see what else texas alien hears i guess.
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 05/31/16 02:54 AM

Wish all the best on the outcome at Calaveras.But years back Alcoa at Rockdale Tx.shut there power plant lake down to all fishing.Said water was too hot after another line was added.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 05/31/16 04:38 AM

I hear there is already buoys in place, you can fish from your boat and cast into channel , but not allowed to be on wall...can see try landing a big red over wall into boat, frekin Stupid..

What the hell were those dumb fishermen thinking going into channel with their kayaks...

Did Homeland Security find any nukes, bombs or just fishing gear ? has anyone heard what they did to the kayakers...

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/02/16 01:54 AM

Going fishing 6-2-16 Calaveras Lake , going to take pictures of Crappie Wall and post them ,and check out , how bad it is to fish their.. Its a BUMMER if the wall stays closed.. Well " it is what it is ".. Plenty of fish in Lake else where .

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/02/16 09:53 PM

Wow this thread was pulled up from way back in 2009, but this time it's for real.
They've (CPS) has been wanting to close the wall for a long time and with the recent popularity of kayaks a couple of knot heads achieved what was coming for years.
Don't blame every kayaker for the actions of probably a handful if that many, but people have been sneaking into restricted areas out there ever since the lake first opened.
Putting a kayak into that channel was over the top pardon the pun!
A lot of people fished the wall and never bothered to learn the lake and they are the one's who will have a learning curve to deal with.
I fished the lake since after it first opened and I rarely fished the wall just because I like a little more solitude and being able to relax.
I have no regrets.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/05/16 03:52 PM

Howdy fishermen, went fishing to Calaveras Lake, on Saturday and the wall was dead, no one on wall, before you drive into lake , signs are posted no Activity on crappie wall until further notice.

Not many boaters out only Fishing guides. Parking lot was fairly empty, I guess the Wall put off a lot of fisherman away. No bouys or cables , just painted notices on wall " no trespassing '' .. Game Wardens were out on Lake , and I talked to them , about the wall, they said they cant ticket anyone on the wall , if some bonehead wanted to, only CPS or Homeland Sucurity can fine you, well I am not going to take that chance.. Limited out on Reds with shrimp and trolling spoons. Three of us on boat.. Just JFYI.

Re: Calaveras Crappie Wall - 06/09/16 04:22 AM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum