Texas Fishing Forum

Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish

Posted By: MathGeek

Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/08/22 01:42 PM

Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/08/22 03:25 PM

MathGeek, we're always looking for healthier ways to eat fish. Post a couple of your favorite recipes to help us out! grill
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/08/22 07:31 PM

We started air frying our fish a few years ago.After my bypass surgery May of 2020 we invested a large (Power XL) air fryer and have learned to cook many lower fat/carb meals.Fish being one of my favorite we have as close to fried fish as possible,at least at our skill level.

We try to use filets as close to the same thickness as possible.Since we both try to watch our carbs we bread our fish in almond flour.After drying each filet run them through an egg wash,we use two eggs and a tablespoon of mayo whipped together,then dip in seasoned almond flour.Spray both sides of the filets with olive oil..........this helps them crisp up.Is this exactly like cornmeal breaded and fried fish.........No but we find it delicious and much more healthy.Don't be afraid to experiment that's how we learned to use our air fryer.

My wife also has a killer cornbread recipe using almond flour and eggs,we had it yesterday with some low carb stew........I'll have to share that for those low carbing or just wanting to eat more healthy.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/08/22 08:56 PM

Sorry brother. in my humble opinion, God created catfish to be fried. Striper are for grilling...
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/09/22 02:44 AM

Love it both ways, fried and in the air fryer. People who don't have an air fryer, don't realize what they're missing out on. I use mine nearly every single day.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/09/22 03:55 AM

We fry it, grill it for tacos, smoke it. Air fryers are great too. We are always mixing it up.

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/09/22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Whistlebritches
We started air frying our fish a few years ago.After my bypass surgery May of 2020 we invested a large (Power XL) air fryer and have learned to cook many lower fat/carb meals.Fish being one of my favorite we have as close to fried fish as possible,at least at our skill level.

We try to use filets as close to the same thickness as possible.Since we both try to watch our carbs we bread our fish in almond flour.After drying each filet run them through an egg wash,we use two eggs and a tablespoon of mayo whipped together,then dip in seasoned almond flour.Spray both sides of the filets with olive oil..........this helps them crisp up.Is this exactly like cornmeal breaded and fried fish.........No but we find it delicious and much more healthy.Don't be afraid to experiment that's how we learned to use our air fryer.

My wife also has a killer cornbread recipe using almond flour and eggs,we had it yesterday with some low carb stew........I'll have to share that for those low carbing or just wanting to eat more healthy.

Great ideas there. Thanks!

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/09/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Sorry brother. in my humble opinion, God created catfish to be fried. Striper are for grilling...

Grilled striper are a favorite.

Splitting hairs, channel catfish are better fried. But flatheads and blues are better with other methods, in my view.

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/10/22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
We fry it, grill it for tacos, smoke it. Air fryers are great too. We are always mixing it up.

I might have to try an air fryer. Is there a make and model you recommend?

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/10/22 04:40 PM

We’ve had 3 different air fryers but this new one is a game changer my wife says. We use it just about everyday and this one can do it all! It’s amazing to say the least. Not exaggerating a bit!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NLHMYH4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/10/22 09:58 PM

We’ve had 3 different air fryers but this new one is a game changer my wife says. We use it just about everyday and this one can do it all! It’s amazing to say the least. Not exaggerating a bit!

That’s Gordon Ramsey level stuff there, Chef!
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/11/22 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by MathGeek

I might have to try an air fryer. Is there a make and model you recommend?

I alike El Gato's recommendation .........the Power XL is in the same league

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerXL-...l-6-Piece-Accessory-Pack-Black/893353220
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/11/22 11:49 PM

Flathead smoked over pecan shells. Salt Lick Original rub. Salt Lick Honey Pecan BBQ sauce.

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/13/22 01:40 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Snowman

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/13/22 06:37 PM

May try the air fry.
If you do choose to fry, consider old fashioned lard. It tastes good and our great grandparents used it.
The transfat oils like most people use is problematic. The research is easy to find.
It shows that the crisco lie has been perpetrated over 90 years. Only now are trans fats being exposed for what they are.
Posted By: RiverRoad

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/14/22 12:48 AM

“Cubion” ……. You’ll never go back
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/14/22 02:37 AM

Screw all that.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/17/22 01:36 PM

I have one, but when I discovered it would not do a chicken fried steak, I gave up on doing anything meaningful with it.

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/17/22 02:42 PM

We had chicken fried steak last week in the air fryer and it was delicious. https://airfryereats.com/air-fryer-chicken-fried-steak/
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/17/22 03:12 PM

You don't have to eat fried catfish but I have for 70+ years and my parents and grandparents did also. It got my grandfather at 92 and my grandmother at 96 so yes it is so bad for you especially if from the holier than thou section.

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/17/22 04:06 PM

That’s genetics Jackie! We still fry fish too and we’ll be frying it until Im gone but we also enjoy preparing it many different ways. The air fryer is for guys who are looking for a healthy alternative to eating fried food all the time. The air fryer is simply amazing and the food that my wife makes in that thing is delicious! It also makes the cleanup process much easier. I was a skeptic but not anymore. On my dads side of the family, all the men have died from Heart disease from congestive heart failure or hardening of arteries in their 60s and they ate fried food almost every meal. Even so called healthy oils can be bad for you when consumed in large quantities. My dad is the exception at 84 and that’s because of heart stints, cholesterol medication and my mom putting him on a more healthy diet after his heart attack when he was in his 60s. He still eats fried food from time to time but not for every meal. Some people can smoke cigarettes into their 90s while most others will get cancer and die in their 50s and 60s. Same goes for eating fried food all the time. That stuff clogs a lot of guys arteries if consumed in large quantities and for guys with heart disease in their family like me it’s a good way to still enjoy fried foods. You can’t even tell a difference in air fried or regular fried to be quite honest.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/19/22 08:32 AM

Gentlemen try blackend catfish fillets over a bed of dirty rice. Pour some cajun cream sauce over the top and you will have a meal fit for a king. Receipe is easy to find on the internet.
Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/19/22 10:33 AM

Grainraiser, that's one of my wife's go to meals except she actually makes crawfish etouffee to top it off. She's a cajun girl raised in Louisiana. Man, you just determined what tonight's supper will be!
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/19/22 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by skeetmaster
Grainraiser, that's one of my wife's go to meals except she actually makes crawfish etouffee to top it off. She's a cajun girl raised in Louisiana. Man, you just determined what tonight's supper will be!

Yep you make the sauce with crawfish, crab or shrimp. Guess what i'm having tonight.
Posted By: rh47

Re: Why I Don't Eat Fried Catfish - 01/20/22 10:32 PM

hung
Originally Posted by jackiekennedyfishingguide
You don't have to eat fried catfish but I have for 70+ years and my parents and grandparents did also. It got my grandfather at 92 and my grandmother at 96 so yes it is so bad for you especially if from the holier than thou section.

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum