Texas Fishing Forum

How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning

Posted By: MathGeek

How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/08/19 10:40 AM

Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/08/19 12:10 PM

Hope PETA don't see this, you fileting a live catfish. roflmao Dang fish was still moving around even after being fileted. Did you know the bible says we should only eat fish with scales ? I've broke that rule a 1000 times. Love catfish.

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/08/19 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
Did you know the bible says we should only eat fish with scales ? I've broke that rule a 1000 times. Love catfish.

We? Are "we" under the Law God gave to Moses? Jesus declared all foods clean in Mark 7:19.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/09/19 12:40 AM

He needs an electric knife. Thing is strictly for rookies. Most of us would have supper on the table before he finished one fish.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/09/19 01:06 AM

Nice! cheers
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/09/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by MathGeek
Did you know the bible says we should only eat fish with scales ? I've broke that rule a 1000 times. Love catfish.

We? Are "we" under the Law God gave to Moses? Jesus declared all foods clean in Mark 7:19.

Over ruled his father huh.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/09/19 07:32 PM

He should watch a video on how to fillet a catfish. Most of us could done that faster with a spoon
Posted By: JustinB

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/09/19 09:11 PM

slow. throw the knife in the trash and get an electric and go to work.
Posted By: ladybluearm

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/10/19 01:38 PM

That’s all good weather it be with a knife or electric knife,but, if you leave that blood line down the center of those fillets your fish is not gonna taste good! Faster is not always better.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/11/19 02:49 PM

Do people still skin catfish?

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/12/19 11:05 AM

Yes, we do.

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/12/19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jackiekennedyfishingguide
Do people still skin catfish?

Apparently so:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+skin+a+catfish

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/14/19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by MathGeek

Over ruled his father huh.

When did his father ever tell gentiles not to eat catfish?
Posted By: fishslime

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/15/19 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ladybluearm
That’s all good weather it be with a knife or electric knife,but, if you leave that blood line down the center of those fillets your fish is not gonna taste good! Faster is not always better.

Have never found this to be true for catfish. Have eaten hundreds of them. Stripers, sand bass, and hybrids are different. Need to take out the lateral line and red meat off them for a better tasting filet.
Posted By: Ryno

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/16/19 07:10 PM

everyone that is saying this is wrong, what is a better method?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/16/19 07:23 PM

Nothing is wrong with the way he is doing it. He is taking his time showing people how it’s done.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/16/19 07:42 PM

I pound a nail right through the brain into a post / tree then skin 'em . I then snap the body from the head .

I don't usually fillet smaller cats .
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/16/19 09:01 PM

He does it pretty much like I have been doing for the last 50 years, except I use an electric knife. If I accidentally cut through the skin, I use an old fork to hold the fillet down and finish skinning with the electric knife.

I used to use the nail trick, but for the last twenty years I try not to keep fish too big to hold with one hand.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/17/19 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ChuChu1
He does it pretty much like I have been doing for the last 50 years, except I use an electric knife. If I accidentally cut through the skin, I use an old fork to hold the fillet down and finish skinning with the electric knife.

I used to use the nail trick, but for the last twenty years I try not to keep fish too big to hold with one hand.

+1

I only skin catfish that I'm cooking whole. Love me some fried tails.

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/17/19 02:21 PM

Everyone may not agree with me on taking the bloodline out of the catfish fillets, we have eaten a lot of catfish in our time also, we can detect a different taste that we don't prefer, so that is why we choose to cut it out. Overall a better tasting filet, in my opinion.
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/19/19 12:09 AM

I leave the skin on if I’m going to grill them over a fire. Holds the meat together by placing skin side down.

True story: Years ago I was bank fishing for sand bass in the spring and caught a catfish. It HAD ALREADY BEEN FILETED by someone and put back in the water. It was before the days when we all carried around a video camera in our pockets or I would have definitely taken a video. Crazy.
Posted By: Twistedmidnite

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/21/19 01:11 PM

I keep a bag or two of skinned out smaller cats on hand. Sometimes I get a hankering for some whole fish. I learned to fillet catfish with a regular knife like that but I got an electric one as soon as I could smile. I leave the blade in the cut and flip the fillet over with the end of the blade then pop right in against the skin to separate the meat from the skin. IF I cut thru the skin or pull the whole this off of the fish I then come cut in behind the ribs but not thru the skin. After that ichold the ribs and fillet the meat off of the skin backwards using the ribs as a hand hold.
Posted By: swellcat

Re: How to Fillet Integrity, Quickly - 04/22/19 04:46 PM

Nothing says, "I love the LordGawdamighty" more than cutting up a live animal. Stewardship in action.
Posted By: Thunk

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 04/25/19 03:58 AM

Do it just the same. Have been for years and I can get through three faster than this with my electric knife. In his defense he is going slower to teach others.
Posted By: OffshoreAg

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 05/10/19 07:51 PM

please kill the fish next time before skinning, minimal animal suffering is part of being a good steward as well. a quick whack to the head with a hammer is all it takes.
Posted By: mreed

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 05/17/19 09:25 PM

I had to click off of the video as soon as he whooped out his “sharpener” roflmao
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 05/18/19 06:14 AM

Mathgeek has you on the Scripture. I'm a pastor with multiple degrees in interpretation in English, Hebrew and Greek. A saved person is no longer under the Law System of the Old Testament. The whole point of the law was for God to prove that no one is capable of keeping it and our only hope is grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum