Texas Fishing Forum

Fort Phantom Topo map?

Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/21/18 09:58 PM

Anyone know where I can find one? Im looking for one because thr navionics app on my phone doesnt cover the south end of the lake at all. It covers it to a point, then just stops.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/21/18 10:47 PM

Evidently there is no lower end coverage. Even Navionics maps cut it off.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@13&key=ijteE%7Cln_R

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/21/18 11:09 PM

Anyone ever seen an actual map you could buy at a bait store or gas station in the local area?
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/21/18 11:30 PM

It's not a topo but TPW has a contour map. Abilene fisheries is also listed as a provider.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/22/18 03:38 AM

All maps I've seen of phantom stop not much south of the silos. I always thought it's because the south end is dry a lot. Almost all of it is flat and less than 15ft other than the SE corner, that creek channel has some structure on that side. Most of the west side is all the same, 15ft and not much structure.

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/22/18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
All maps I've seen of phantom stop not much south of the silos. I always thought it's because the south end is dry a lot. Almost all of it is flat and less than 15ft other than the SE corner, that creek channel has some structure on that side. Most of the west side is all the same, 15ft and not much structure.

Welp, that's some good information to know. Im really just trying to cut down on water I dont need to paddle over next time I go there to scout out decent structures
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/22/18 11:44 PM

Tpwd has a map to download for free on tpwd fishing fort phantom site. It will give you enough of an idea more so than the navionics app. If I were kayaking and didn’t want to paddle far I would put in at sailboat point and fish where the creek channel goes up on the point kinda out a few hundred yards or so. Seems to hold baitfish and game fish returns on sonar really year round.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_mp_t3200_0439k.pdf

I just purchased a lake master card and will let you know if this version 4 covers the south end much.

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/24/18 05:27 AM

Hey I really appreciate that! Which point is sailboat point if you dont mind me asking? Os that the really long one out of the main lake?
Posted By: Time4Fun

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/29/18 02:16 PM

On the east side of the lake if you are coming from the spillway its pretty much the first big point. Can't miss all the sail boats
Posted By: Time4Fun

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/29/18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Time4Fun
On the east side of the lake if you are coming from the spillway its pretty much the first big point. Can't miss all the sail boats

In a kayak it can get pretty choppy right there so watch for calmer days

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/29/18 09:49 PM

You may catch hybrids, catfish or white bass in that area so hold on lol! If you have trouble finding it here is a link to a map. It’s marked “D”

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/fort_phantom/access.phtml

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/29/18 10:09 PM

I’m surprised how much those catfish move around sometimes. That ledge seems to hold them pretty consistently based on my sonar findings recently and sometimes in the “humps” on the West bank. What I’m refering to is if you look at a contour map such as navionics web app (free on line), you’ll see some humps just south west of charlottes cove and in there sometimes I find lots of hybrids and/or catfish. Saw tons of catfish returns there the past week. Both locations are hot spots and not too far to kayak. Bad thing is not out of the wind.

Hope that points you in the right direction!

Re: Fort Phantom Topo map? - 04/30/18 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: RespectTheFish
I’m surprised how much those catfish move around sometimes. That ledge seems to hold them pretty consistently based on my sonar findings recently and sometimes in the “humps” on the West bank. What I’m refering to is if you look at a contour map such as navionics web app (free on line), you’ll see some humps just south west of charlottes cove and in there sometimes I find lots of hybrids and/or catfish. Saw tons of catfish returns there the past week. Both locations are hot spots and not too far to kayak. Bad thing is not out of the wind.

Hope that points you in the right direction!

Appreciate it gents! I know what point you're talking about now, my first trip out there I took my yak up to it and marked some fish, but couldn't stay on em because of the wind lol

And I appreciate the tip about those humps, I think I know where you're talking about, I just havent paddled to it yet. Last couple of trips I have gone to the silos and fished that flat, and then the ledge from the silos south.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum