Texas Fishing Forum

Shad in Canyon Lake

Posted By: Cjohle

Shad in Canyon Lake - 03/22/18 02:52 PM

I've been fishing canyon lake lately and I like it. However, I've not been able to find any good spots to net shad.

Does anyone have some insight?

thanks!

Casey
Posted By: Fish Inspector

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 03/22/18 03:42 PM

Seems almost impossible most times.
Buy Jumbo Minnows.

FI
Posted By: Fish Inspector

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 03/22/18 03:43 PM

Or use / buy cut shad or perch.
Liven works at Canyon on R & R.

FI
Posted By: Cjohle

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 03/23/18 01:47 PM

I've caught perch and used them both live and cut. I just wanted to try some shad. Chicken breast has been working pretty well for me lately so I have a couple of good backups.

Thanks for the responses.

Do you know of some good places to fish from the bank? I have a boat, but I'll have my 6 month old son with me and I'm not comfortable taking him on the boat by myself.
Posted By: chascat

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 03/24/18 12:53 AM

Shad are hard to cast net in Canyon. You also stand the chance of catching a big rock,which has eaten a
couple of my nets. Only bank access is the parks and the pier at the entrance to Cranes Mill Park. After
April 1st when Comal Park opens,it has good bank fishing. The parks do charge a day fee.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 03/24/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: chascat
Shad are hard to cast net in Canyon. You also stand the chance of catching a big rock,which has eaten a
couple of my nets. Only bank access is the parks and the pier at the entrance to Cranes Mill Park. After
April 1st when Comal Park opens,it has good bank fishing. The parks do charge a day fee.

Unless you have an old guy National Park pass, then admission is free.
Posted By: Drew05

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 04/02/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: chascat

Where would you fish in Comal Park? I've never bank fished Canyon before.

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 04/02/18 11:37 AM

Just pass the first boat ramp there is a bluff bank for about 300 yards. You will have to go down to first
parking on right,then walk over to it. I do not think they will let you park in boat ramp parking lot.
Good deep water along rock bluff. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Drew05

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 04/06/18 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to head out there soon and give this a shot. Any advice on bait?

Re: Shad in Canyon Lake - 04/07/18 02:27 PM

[quote=Drew05]Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to head out there soon and give this a shot. Any advice on bait?

Take a perch rig and some worms. Use the perch, some live and some scaled and cut up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum