Texas Fishing Forum

Finally got my big one in the yak

Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/14/18 10:16 PM

Went to Fort Phantom yesterday with the intent to fish some shallow mud flats. Ended up getting a ton of takedowns, but couldn't hook up with anything. Still dont know what the problem was (Im blaming the fact I was using octopus instead of octopus circle hooks)

After not catching anything almost all day, I decided to drift back towards the boat ramp after the wind finally decided it was gonna stick around, and I picked up my new PB. Not sure how much he weighed or how long he was, but Im guessing 34-38"

Caught him somewhere in the 13-15foot range on a smaller piece of chicken soaked in dead red.

Posted By: Poppa P

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/14/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: JailFisherman
Went to Fort Phantom yesterday with the intent to fish some shallow mud flats. Ended up getting a ton of takedowns, but couldn't hook up with anything. Still dont know what the problem was (Im blaming the fact I was using octopus instead of octopus circle hooks)

After not catching anything almost all day, I decided to drift back towards the boat ramp after the wind finally decided it was gonna stick around, and I picked up my new PB. Not sure how much he weighed or how long he was, but Im guessing 34-38"

Caught him somewhere in the 13-15foot range on a smaller piece of chicken soaked in dead red.

Nice..
Did he give you a ride?
I bet that was exciting!
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/14/18 11:19 PM

thumb
Posted By: TexasCatfishCowboy

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/15/18 12:50 AM

Awesome fish! I just bought a yak and hope to bring in some nice cats too. Is it hard to drift 2 poles? Do they get tangled often?
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/15/18 02:12 AM

Nice! thumb
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/15/18 03:19 AM

That was terrific! cheers
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/15/18 04:10 AM

Good job!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/15/18 04:48 AM

Nice fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/15/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasCatfishCowboy
Awesome fish! I just bought a yak and hope to bring in some nice cats too. Is it hard to drift 2 poles? Do they get tangled often?

I had actually been drifting 3 rods when that big one hit! When the wind got up though I had to go down to two rods. And I never had any tangles, even though that big fish hit my middle rod
Posted By: TexasCatfishCowboy

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/15/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: JailFisherman
Originally Posted By: TexasCatfishCowboy

I had actually been drifting 3 rods when that big one hit! When the wind got up though I had to go down to two rods. And I never had any tangles, even though that big fish hit my middle rod

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to put rod holders on my yak and some other accessories.
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/16/18 01:20 PM

cheers congrats!! Nice fish!
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Finally got my big one in the yak - 03/18/18 02:35 PM

Nice!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum