Texas Fishing Forum

Range Cubes For Chum

Posted By: Bobb

Range Cubes For Chum - 02/19/18 06:30 PM

Are range cubes a good chum for Channels? Do I need to
break them up? How many should I use at a time?
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Range Cubes For Chum - 02/19/18 07:52 PM

One article stated "Across Texas, catfish anglers chum streams by placing a fish basket or tow sack partially filled with range cubes in the lair they’re fishing. Because the cubes can stay intact for up to 3 days, anglers can move them and fish from spot to spot."

A post stated "I chum range cubes around my boat dock. Once I lowered my underwater camera down to bottom then dumped some cubes around it. They immediately attracted a lot of bream and a turtle. Did see one channel cat but he didn't sample the cubes. They all dissolved in about half hour but there was still a pile on the bottom. I was chumming to attract flatheads."

Another article stated " Range cubes can be used in a couple of ways, you can simply toss them out over the area you’ll be fishing like you would traditional chum or you can place them in a tow sack and simply drop them in the water. Cutting a slit in the bag will release the pellets into the water as they begin to break down. Another way to use the pellets is to place them in a 5 gallon bucket that has been weighted with concrete or a large rock. You’ll want to drill several holes in the bucket that are approximately 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Place the lid on the bucket and lower it into the water with a heavy rope. This technique will work in two ways, attracting the baitfish that will draw the catfish as well as drawing the catfish themselves."
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Range Cubes For Chum - 02/19/18 07:56 PM

You could try something like this. Place the range cubes in it. Zip it up. Tie a string to it and lower it into the water. The cubes will dissolve and fall out of the bag. I'm going to try this bag this coming Spring and Summer. Haven't decided what chum to put in it. I got my bag at Dollar Tree.
Posted By: Bobb

Re: Range Cubes For Chum - 02/19/18 09:26 PM

Thanks for the info
Posted By: Gnab2

Re: Range Cubes For Chum - 02/20/18 03:06 PM

You can get the same bag but bigger at Wallyworld. It is in the travel luggage area and is a mesh laundry bag.

I have a buddy that has been with guides and he said they used range cube. I have another buddy that lives on Fork and they use corn. I have another buddy on Livingston and they have a 4" PVC pipe with 3/4" holes that is tied to their dock and put Range cubes in it.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Range Cubes For Chum - 02/20/18 04:51 PM

Ok i look for the major activity level in the lake currently about 30 feet deep at Lake FORK. THEN I FIND GOOD PLACES TO TIE MY BOAT UP AT THAT DEPTH. Then I dump half a 50 pound bag of cubes in that spot. Then i come back in the days that follow to catch fish. Now when i return i do throw out a few handfuls of cubes to get the fish feeding.
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Range Cubes For Chum - 02/20/18 04:58 PM

Just be aware that folks are watching you and they will be parked on your hole sometime when you arrive. I bait several holes to insure that i have a baited place to catch fish and yes i buy loads of cubes. I will trade cubes for fillets any day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum