Texas Fishing Forum

souring milo in winter

Posted By: Bill J

souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 01:43 PM

Have been trying to sour some milo to replace other that I have used up but due to colder temps, doesn't appear to be working. Any way to do this by adding anything to it since sun and temps aren't helping?
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 02:50 PM

Maybe adding yeast or a beer to the mix?
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 03:43 PM

Ok i currently use range cubes for my baited holes but the method i use for grain is place a home depot bucket inside a regular metal trash can . put grain water and yeast inside home depot bucket and the i clip a light to shine in the depot bucket and warm it. then i seal my my metal bucket to keep me in my house. Every few days i stir my grain and add water. I have had good results with this. Be sure if you can get some livers or blood pour it into your grain.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 04:01 PM

Good ideas above. You can get some active dry yeast, the kind used in making bread and other things. Just pour a packet into your 5 gallon can of water and grain and stir it up. This should help speed it up. No substitute for a few good warm days in the sun though.
I usually make 4-5 five gallon buckets at a time. When my supply gets down to a couple of buckets, make 2-3 more. A bag of maize will make 4-5 buckets of chum in water.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 05:07 PM

Wrap your bucket in a black trash bag and make sure it gets some direct sunlight.
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 05:29 PM

Use the black Trash bag, it works. I sour wheat and Hen Scratch both. Winter time is black trash bag in the sun.
Posted By: catcrew68

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 08:26 PM

It will eventually get there in the Winter. Just takes a lot longer, but good ideas above. I may try the black trash bags.
Posted By: opus

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/18/18 08:34 PM

Beer is a wasted(already fermented no help) yeast in a black trash can

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/19/18 01:43 PM

Awesome. Off to the store to buy some yeast and black bags. Unfortunatly, I have to keep this stuff at my slip and it's covered with minimal sun.
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/20/18 05:02 PM

I had something turning my buckets over and spilling my chum at the rv. I tied the buckets to my carport and have had no more issues. I think someone is letting their dogs run loose at Mustang resort.
Posted By: Bob Maddux

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/23/18 02:06 PM

Start your souring with boiling hot water. It speeds up the process.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/23/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: HumanSeine
I had something turning my buckets over and spilling my chum at the rv. I tied the buckets to my carport and have had no more issues. I think someone is letting their dogs run loose at Mustang resort.

My bet is on raccoons being your culprit...

Re: souring milo in winter - 02/24/18 02:57 PM

Worked at marina at Joe Pool and we had slip owners that complained about people stealing their minnows overnight. crapicat is right. Turned out to be raccoons. They will get into anything left out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum